Thicket Black and White Baby Quilt

I have been loving the projects I’ve seen with the new Thicket collection from Gingiber for Moda Fabrics, so when the girls from Quilter’s Candy Box asked if I wanted to receive a preview of their October black and white box I jumped at the chance!

The October box includes a Junior Jelly Roll with 20 pre-cut 2 1/2″ x wof strips of the black and white prints in the collection. (The collection also comes in black and natural (think un-dyed muslin).

Also included were four of the Thicket panel prints – one in the large scale and three in the small scale version. I LOVE those animal prints – they’re vintage and minimalist and modern all at the same time. They’re the artwork of Stacie Bloomfield and you can see more of her darling illustrations and style at Gingiber.

There is an original Gingiber pattern included with the Quilter’s Candy Box, but I decided to play with the strips and improv a little. This was not my original plan, but this is where it went. Super simple squares surrounding the panel. Even though the palette is only black and white, the fun prints give the finished design so much contrast and depth. I couldn’t be happier with the final result.

I was able to use some black on white dots from my stash for the perfect backing. The quilting by Melissa of Sew Shabby Quilting finished it up so nicely. I can’t wait to throw it in the wash and soften it up. (One note – I have heard someone who had a problem with pre-washing and some black pattern transfer onto the solid white areas. I’m going to wash mine today and I’ll update with how it goes.)

As soon as I saw these prints, I knew just who I was making this for. I’ve had a baby gift I’ve needed to make for months, but never found something that felt just right, until I saw this line and I immediately knew it would be perfect. I can’t wait to send it off.

One more picture from my awesome quilt-holder yesterday. I let him use my phone to play Pokemon Go and he agreed to hold my quilt. We’re a good team like that.

More details about and where you can order your own Quilter’s Candy Box here. October boxes have shipped, but a few extras will be listed for sale in the next weeks.

October 11, 2016 at 8:04 am

I love this quilt. I love the patterns.
    This turned out so nice! Yeah, our kids, they are the best.
    Thanks for sharing this Amy. It really is a great design…. so what was the design you originally thought about?
    Happy Tuesday♥️

Janice Holton
    October 11, 2016 at 10:33 am

In the quilting world there seem to be a much larger abundance of girly quilts but this one is great for boys! I love it!

Amy Smart
      October 11, 2016 at 12:06 pm

That’s exactly what I thought! It’s so perfect for boys.

Stacie Bloomfield
    October 11, 2016 at 10:35 am

I love this so much! So I designed the fabric and I don’t even have a quilt made from it yet! I adore what you have made here!

Amy Smart
      October 11, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Your fabric is so wonderful Stacie! Thanks for sharing your style in fabric form. I love your prints!

October 11, 2016 at 10:39 am

What a perfect baby quilt–or–I’d love it for myself to cuddle on the couch 🙂 I haven’t done a simple black and white–but this is very tempting. And that fabric 🙂

Amy Smart
      October 11, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I’d seen stunning black and white quilts before but had never been too excited about making one. Until this! And I loved it!

October 11, 2016 at 10:39 am

This is so incredibly cute Amy!!!! I too have been loving all of the cute black and white quilts I have seen with these adorable prints and this one is right up there in the mix!! Great job!!!

Amy Smart
      October 11, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Melissa! I’ve loved seeing them too!

Rachel at Stitched in Color
    October 11, 2016 at 11:59 am

The patchwork “background” is perfect with these panels. Love how it turned out!

Amy Smart
      October 11, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Rachel! I LOVE how those prints work together.

October 11, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I can’t tell you how much I loooove this quilt!!

October 11, 2016 at 3:46 pm

This is an adorable quilt💕💕💕

October 11, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Wow! Perfect in every way!

Karen Seitz
    October 11, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I love the prints in this line and the panel prints too, of course. I was at the Fabric Shack today and was talking to a woman who had driven 2.5 hours to shop, and she ended up buying the Moda kit for the Thicket quilt. I was jealous. 🙂

October 11, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I’ve started seeing a few black and white quilts popping up on the internet! This is lovely! What a perfect use of those panel prints! Awesome!

October 12, 2016 at 8:00 am

AMY ! I adore this ! Would 1 panel and 1 junior jelly roll be enough to make a baby quilt ?

Amy Smart
      October 12, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Thank you. 🙂

So the panels come in two sizes with four of the animals on each. Quilter’s Candy Box sent me one of the large and three of the small animals, so that’s what I used. You might have to see if retailers would sell individual animals. But yes, one junior jelly roll + the four panels was enough!

October 13, 2016 at 12:35 pm

This quilt is beautiful!! Beautiful!! I love it and I’m not a fan of black and white quilts. The little animals are so cute. What a sweet baby quilt.

Kelly Paulson
    October 13, 2016 at 1:35 pm

I love this so very much that I went and bought myself some thicket to make something similar! Thanks for the inspiration!

Summer Daisy
    October 14, 2016 at 5:10 pm

This is gorgeous ♥ I love the black and white ♥

October 15, 2016 at 7:58 am

You have an amazing creative
    talent for quilt designs, thanks for sharing it. And yes, Im going to order this fabric!

bev knoebel
    October 26, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Dear Amy,
    Love this quilt and would love to make it for a new grandson coming in early March.
    Do you have a pattern? Willing to pay for a downloadable copy. Thanks, it is adorable!!!

Amy Smart
      October 27, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I’m afraid I don’t have a pattern – I just made this up as I went along. But I can give you the measurements – the large panel is cut 16 1/2″ x 20 1/2″ and the smaller panels are 8 1/2″ x 10 1/2″. All of the squares are from 2 1/2″ precut strips. I sewed two strips together first and then subcut into 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ units – helped speed up piecing all of the little squares.

Basically, if you look at the quilt, all of the pieces are on a 2″x 2″ grid.

Hope that helps a little!