Mod Block Modern Quilt

I love when I can finally share stuff that’s been going on behind the scenes around here.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have some fun news to share about this quilt. It was specifically designed for the latest issue of Mod Block from Missouri Star Quilt Company!

I snapped a few pictures of it back in January before I sent it off for it’s glam squad treatment in Missouri in preparation for the Spring issue.
I love taking traditional quilt blocks and giving them a modern twist. I’ve loved Sherri and Chelsi’s Desert Bloom collection since I first saw it previewed last spring. I also love the way those colors just pop off that solid navy blue.

I am the WORST at coming up with names for my quilts. This quilt is based on the traditional Susannah block and since I decided to blow it up huge, the quilt is called Susannah on Steroids. (Which I’m worried now about offending someone. In no way do I condone illegal steroid use. Even for quilt blocks.)  So that became the working title as the quilt was in production, with every intention of coming up with a better name. And then I got the preview of the finished magazine last week and thought, “Whoops! I never changed the name!” (Insert open-eye-emoji here.)

Hopefully I don’t get any hate mail for this one.

Here’s a shot of the back. I went with a Bella Solids Mustard. I love the way it shows off the quilting design. This was done by Melissa of Sew Shabby Quilting – the pattern is called Yodel and it’s become one of my favorites. The perfect compliment to a modern-looking quilt design and gives the quilt lots of texture.

Another shot from the magazine!

And here it is on the cover. (eek!) That’s pretty cool! This issue of Mod Block is available now. Watch for it in your local quilt shop that carries Mod Block. Or you can order one online directly from Missouri Star Quilt Company. It’s a great issue! There are some beautiful modern quilt patterns included by artists such as Heather Jones, the Simple Simon girls, Scott from Blue Nickel Studios, and Becca Bryan.

Can’t wait for my copy to get here!

Robby H.
    April 10, 2017 at 6:59 am

It’s a great quilt, and as the saying goes, “A rose by any other name….” I really like the dark blue background. It gives the design depth and weight, but feels softer and more welcoming than black. Congratulations on the cover!

Pat S
    April 10, 2017 at 7:15 am

Totally cool quilt!

Sandra B
    April 10, 2017 at 7:18 am

Awesome quilt, Amy! The colors are great … I think I am going to have to make a quilt using a navy background….really makes the other fabrics pop! And, I love the name!! Thanks for sharing!!

Sandy Thomas
    April 10, 2017 at 8:20 am

I really love this quilt. It is stunning! Everything about it stands out- the colors, the pattern and the quilting. Great job and congratulations.

Janis Ploughman Altomare
    April 10, 2017 at 8:25 am

Congratulations cover girl! I love this quilt, it is so not my normal choices. I am a white background girl, but I love the navy and the mustard. I may need to add a few of these to my stash.

Mary
    April 10, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Once again, Amy, you have hit it out of the park! Absolutely gorgeous!

Kristi
    April 10, 2017 at 6:20 pm

I love your new quilt!

Gemini Jen NZ
    April 10, 2017 at 7:00 pm

It’s very cool – I love the navy sashing. Congrats!

Karen Seitz
    April 10, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Neat quilt and neat quilting. Congrats on being the cover girl! I love Mod Block magazine and will definitely pick up this issue.

Vicki
    April 10, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Oh, I am sooooo offended. 😉
    I do love that navy background …. I’m going to have to branch out and do something fancy with my background colors sometime soon! And a solid backing, too.

Clare Holden
    April 11, 2017 at 3:00 am

I love the Navy background and have trouble with names to! Don’t worry too much we are behind you.

Mabel
    April 11, 2017 at 4:40 am

Wonderful work!! Love the composition of colors! Congratulations 🎉

Leslie K.
    April 11, 2017 at 5:08 am

Congratulations on the magazine cover! I LOVE this quilt…..I really wish I could come up with color combinations like you do. I do love me some navy and those colors just pop off the quilt! This quilt is absolutely beautiful!

Little Quiltsong
    April 11, 2017 at 5:17 am

Amy – this is gorgeous and beautiful all rolled into one. Absolutely love it! Congratulations on having it on the cover of the magazine – how wonderful! Just love the quilting on it – beautiful design and just adds to the whole quilt!!

Susan Rogers
    April 11, 2017 at 9:06 am

Fabulous quilt. But being a Westerner, I loved seeing it against the red rocks in the canyon. The pattern reminds me of the NM flag emblem.

Elizabeth E.
    April 11, 2017 at 4:34 pm

I loved your photos of this quilt when you were at Arches, so was happy to hear it will be in Mod Block! The name is a hoot–we all need some smiles in our life!

De
    May 1, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Love your quilt, I have made many….what navy did you use for back ground, I am going to order some dessert bloom…..what works best jelly roll, fatquarters, Thanks, just waiting for my book to come

Amy Smart
      May 1, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Thank you! I used the Bella Solids Navy. This pattern calls for a Layer Cake (10″ x 10″ precuts). Enjoy!