Sewing has been minimal lately. Life’s been a little full (hello December!) but I did get the Stick-Shift baby quilt quilted and bound. It was nice to have some mindless straight-line quilting to work on when I had a minute to sit at the sewing machine.
I am so excited for April! She has worked so hard. I first met April 3 years ago when I found her locally to help me with some web-design stuff (she’s got skillz I can only dream of) and found out she was a quilter too. Well look at what she’s done since! Here’s her beautiful booth at Market in Pittsburgh last month. You can learn more about her new collection of quilt patterns on her blog.
Best. Day. Ever. doesn’t ship to quilt shops until next fall, but here’s a little sneak peak thanks to April. This collection is full of cheerful, saturated colors.
I love this graph-paper looking print. I think it will be a popular “low-volume” print that can be used in so many ways. It also comes in multiple tone-on-tone colors.
If you are looking for some fresh, modern quilt inspiration, or you’re also a quilt-geek, or you have loveable geeks in your life that need a quilt, check out Quilt Lab. You can see all of the projects in the book on Ali’s Blog.
I chose the new Wishes collection by Sweetwater for Moda. Such a cute collection. I especially love those little pennant flags, not to mention the bias tone-on-tone gingham, which was perfect for the binding too. I was worried that the solid red would be too dominant, but it has really grown on me. I think the texture of the quilting made a big difference (it always does.)
It took me a while before I finally decided what to do with the collection – I chose my Double Crossed pattern because I really liked how the green solid (I think it’s Kona Green Grass) contrasted with the busy floral patterns.
Lest anyone out there think that I am constantly cranking out a quilt – because I know it can tend to seem that way in blogland – let this quilt be a good example of the reality behind the scenes. Fabric purchased 3-4 years ago; finally started cutting into it 1.5 years ago; started piecing blocks last summer; finished piecing blocks at a retreat in February; finally sewed all the blocks together at the beginning of the summer, then it still took me 2 months to add the borders and choose a back; had someone else do the quilting last week. And voila. It is finally done.
The back for this one is a vintage sheet I found at a thrift store a few years ago. I knew I wanted a vintage sheet for the back and it took me a while to find just the right one. I’ve actually cut up most of the one’s I have. Fortunately I’d preserved this one because I liked it so much and it turned out to be a good match. Plus, it was just the right size! And it was so nice not to have to piece a back.