Latest projects behind the scenes

I’m being a busy little stitcher behind the scenes, with lots to share in the coming weeks, but not much to share at the moment. So a few glimpses of WIP’s (works-in-progress) for now. I made the block above for a charity quilt sponsored by Chili’s for St. Judes Children’s Research Hospital. I sent it off, but I like how it turned out and I think I need to make some more to keep. 
I’ve started some new six-point English-paper-pieced stars as my latest hand work project. (No, I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with them. I’m still working on that.)

I’m piecing them with my growing little collection of Liberty tana lawns. (I got them from Westwood Acres.) This is my first time sewing with tana lawns. It’s like sewing through silk. Tana lawns are cotton, but they’re different from regular quilting cottons in that they’re a tighter weave and lighter weight with more drape.
Usually I baste my fabric over the cardstock templates with thread, but the tana laws are a little more slippery. With only 4 corners on the diamonds I found that the templates easily slipped out of the fabric diamonds. So I decided to try glue-basting for the first time. Not only was it so much faster, but it worked REALLY well holding the templates in place. I’m hooked. I bought this little glue pen at my local quilt shop. (With my own hard-earned cash. I was not asked to review this product.) I haven’t tried a regular glue stick, but I assume it could work too as long as it’s water soluble.

Post edit: More details: I like knowing that this product is specifically for fabric use. I put the glue on the cardstock template and then stick the fabric. It is plenty strong enough to baste the fabric to the template and hold it in place while I sew that pieces together, but the fabric releases cleaning from the template when I’m ready to remove it. I’m totally sold. I also like that the glue stick is thin – less mess.

I started another project last week using Jennifer Sampou’s latest collection (for Robert Kaufman) called Shimmer. The collection is made up of metallic or iridescent prints and they’re so pretty. And different from my usual go-to fabrics. I really loved this colorway because it reminds me of mercury glass, which I’m recently digging (along with the rest of the design world, I guess.) I’m excited to see this one come together. I’ll share it in a few weeks when it’s done.

Finally, one more upcoming project includes a Quilt-along for this quilt next month on the We All Sew blog. It’s a good basic quilting pattern, but I think there are some good tricks for making it efficient and fast. I’m looking forward to sharing it!