A pleasant surprise

This past week I took my kids on an outing to a local museum. I’d heard it had a new section with lots of hands on stuff for kids, and I figured I might get a glimpse of some of the art too. And it was free. Of course, my kids (mainly 2 of them) whined the whole way that they didn’t want to go. After a couple of ‘stop whining’ threats and one drastic “Let’s go home then” U-turn, we finally arrived. And of course they loved the exhibit and had a ball. So much so that they didn’t want to leave. So while they were making ‘stained-glass windows’ with markers and vellum paper, I decided to peak around the corner and still keep my eye on them. Look what I found!
This quilt was amazing! All of the fabrics were solids. Usually I don’t love quilts that are all solids because I think prints bring some interesting texture to the quilt, but this one was so busy I think it’s the only way it could have been done. Look at the close-up of these teeny little log-cabin blocks that make up the rays of the stars.
And then step back and look at the big picture. Spectacular. I can’t remember where it came from, but I want to say Tahiti. (I wasn’t playing close attention because I was trying to keep my eyes on the kids at the same time.) I snapped just a few quick pictures that definitely don’t do justice to the work of art. Wow.

Many thanks for the encouragement about moving. I’m sure it will be insane in the process, but the end result will be wonderful. One of the sad things, besides moving farther away from wonderful friends, is leaving my wooden fence and all of its personality behind. That fence has been an emotional part of my summer. But I’ll save that for another post.

girlsmama
    August 4, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Being a local, what museum?

Kimberly
    August 4, 2009 at 3:14 pm

That is something! What a lot of work! I remember my FIL saying I wcas crazy to cut up good fabric only to sew it back together again. I&#39;m glad I&#39;m not alone in this obsession!<br /><br />And enjoy your move! I personally love to move… the whole process. I can&#39;t wait until our basement gets finished and we can list. We&#39;re both hoping the next one will be THE one…

Fiesta
    August 4, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Thank you for sharing that quilt. It is spectacular!

Kim
    August 4, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Wow! I&#39;ve never seen a quilt like this and that&#39;s what makes it so spectacular. Again. . .WOW!!! Amazingly beautiful. Thanks for looking around the corner or we would&#39;ve missed this treasure!<br /><br />Moving? Where are you moving? Utah? I hope so!

The Rabbit Factory
    August 4, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Oh my gosh…I can&#39;t stop hyperventing!@!#@@! What an amazing quilt! That truly is spectacular piecing! Thanks for sharing! Do you know who made the quilt?

Amy - Park City Girl
    August 4, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Beautiful! I love all the texture the seams add – I&#39;m curious to know which museum too, and more about the fence. . . πŸ™‚

Jackie
    August 4, 2009 at 5:17 pm

That quilt is just amazing!! I love it too. Unbelievable!! I am just getting caught up on my blog reads and read your post about moving. Don&#39;t fret, things always work out. Look at it as an adventure not only for yourself, but your children.

Sara
    August 4, 2009 at 7:23 pm

That quilt is incredible! I usually shy away from all solids too, but wow!!!

dotti white
    August 4, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Amy…amazing quilt! What fun for you to have a creative treat for you to enjoy! If you get a moment in your busy schedule, check out my new blog design and let me know what you think! Have an awesome week!

GARI
    August 4, 2009 at 9:46 pm

What a great find. And if you are talking about the fence you use for pictures, I don&#39;t blame you for hating to leave it.

americanfamily
    August 4, 2009 at 10:37 pm

I&#39;ve tried to call you six times in the last two days…where are you moving!!? Closer to my end of the valley I hope. I&#39;m so excited for you!

The Quilt Buddy
    August 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Wow this is awesome! It just goes to show you how beautiful quilts are when you stand back and look at them from a far.<br /><br />The log cabins are really cute.

BUMBLE BEANS
    August 5, 2009 at 7:36 am

wow! now that is some serious inspiration! that one goes int eh fab file! fantastic.

Katy
    August 5, 2009 at 8:19 am

wow – I&#39;m not usually one for solids quilt either, but that is simple stunning. I think I have to go back and take another look at the pictures.<br /><br />All the very best of luck with your move, just remember that once you pack up the boxes and arrive in the new place there is only one thing that matters – that you are all together and made it safely. School can wait a week or so,

Nedra
    August 5, 2009 at 8:43 am

Wow! Beautiful quilt! What museum did you go to? I do go to your area from time to time.

Lori Sume
    August 5, 2009 at 9:22 am

where are you moving and when? email me. lori@justlori.com

alobsiger
    August 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

AMAZING, amazing quilt! WOW!

August 5, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Wow! what a beautiful quilt. I love visiting museums!

Aunt Spicy
    August 5, 2009 at 6:47 pm

wow! I think I would have been friends with the kind of creative spirit who made that quilt! Its gorgeous!

Nanette Merrill and daughters
    August 13, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I admit I have bad feelings about the Springville Quilt Show. I won&#39;t grumble here. There are some lovely lovely quilts though. I will admit that.