It’s here! Block #5 of the Virtual Quilting Bee!
If you are new in these parts, you can learn more about the year-long Virtual Quilting Bee here.
This week, the block was designed by Calli Taylor, of the darling blog Make It Do.
A little personal story, if you don’t mind. About 14 years ago when my first baby was little and I was pregnant with my second, I took a series of quilting classes at a darling shop near my mom’s house. I would take my little girlie to nap at my mom’s and take classes from a talented and inspiring teacher, Leslie Ison. During this time, Leslie’s oldest daughter delivered premature twins and I would hear about Leslie’s daughter, Calli, and her preemie baby girls.
Fast forward about 12 years and Calli has become a wonderful and inspiring real-life friend. We met through blogging, with the initial connection of me knowing her mom, Leslie. And Leslie continues to be a wonderful quilting inspiration. I’ve shared a few of her trunk shows here and here. Above you can see Calli while her Mom imparts her sweet wisdom. (Disclaimer: not the greatest pictures. Sorry Calli and Leslie!)
You can see the Kona Solid version in blues and here is the cute Moda Happy Go Lucky version. I’m excited to make Calli’s block!
A few friendly reminders:
- these blocks will be 8″ finished (that means when it is part of the finished quilt) meaning they will measure 8 1/2″ unfinished (when you have the block pieced, but before it’s part of a finished quilt.)
- You only need to make 1 of each block for the quilt we will be making, but you can always make more if you want a bigger finished quilt or multiple quilts. 🙂
- I’m so excited to see all the variations that people create. Feel free to share yours on the Virtual Quilting Bee Flickr Group if you like! I have loved seeing all the blocks so far.
- Use the hashtag #virtualquiltingbee if you’re sharing on Instagram or Twitter!
- And as always, I will answer questions the best that I can in the comments section.
Have fun and happy weekend!