Applique Name Pillows

For Christmas this year my sister asked if I would make name pillows for her kids. I think they turned out pretty cute. And finally they are done and will be on their way, only a couple of weeks late. Oh wait. When did it get to be April?! Well, you know what they say about better being late… Right?

My sister wanted to do something that would be distinctly boy and girl, not matchy-matchy, but still coordinate with each other. I loved pulling the fabrics for this and I think they worked out rather well. Can I just say again how much I love that navy is so popular right now? Works perfect for both boys and girls, I think.

The letters were appliqued by my friend Sara. (Thank heaven. She did a much better job than I would have. Thanks again Sara!) I have learned that I am not a precise sewer and have come to terms with and accepted the fact. With quilting I can kind of fudge things, and my imperfections are hidden by multiple seams, big picture, etc. But I wanted these to look nice as well as be durable (since they are for kids) and since I can’t sew an outline – especially a curve – to save my life, I’m so glad Sara came to the rescue.

These are the backs we used. It was so fun to pull solely from my stash. And I especially loved putting that Sarah Jane Children at Play Rockets print to good use. (I googled it and saw some still available here.)

Pulling for this project, I really fell in love with the color palette. Now I’m itching to make a baby girl quilt in with this group. I’m going to have to leave this stack together for a little while longer.

One more important thing checked off the list. Merry Christmas in April! Now to get working on the other 43 things…

RaeLyn
    April 3, 2014 at 12:33 pm

So cute, AMY! Thanks for sharing!!

Lynne Tilley
    April 3, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I love them so much! Where did you get the letter templates? It seems hard to find just "regular" letters like that.

amy smart
      April 3, 2014 at 2:18 pm

They are good, aren't they? I don't know where the templates came from. My friend Sara is the one who did the cutting and stitching of the letters. Her link is in the post. I'm sure she could help you.

Southern Gal
    April 3, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Love them! My granddaughter is Nora (her mama wanted it spelled Norah, but daddy said no) and if they have a boy, they are partial to the name James!

Cille
    April 3, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Great pillows. By this speed youll be done with all the Christmas presentens in July 🙂

Anne Heidi
    April 3, 2014 at 1:16 pm

The pillows are really cool- what a great idea for gifts!

Anna
    April 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm

these are just adorable Amy! Seriously so cute. My kids would go crazy for them. 🙂

Lucy @ Charm About You
    April 3, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Beautiful! I agree that fabric selection is calling to be made into a quilt!

Lisa Henry
    April 3, 2014 at 4:05 pm

What a fun idea, thank you for blogging about them!

Katy Cameron
    April 3, 2014 at 4:22 pm

No, I haven&#39;t a clue what you&#39;re on about, I haven&#39;t been holding my dad&#39;s birthday pressie back since January. Nope, not me.<br /><br />Love the cushions though :o)

Betsy
    April 3, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Thank you for sharing these. They look wonderful and I think they would make great gifts

Pattie
    April 3, 2014 at 6:28 pm

So stinkin&#39; cute – both of them! I&#39;m curious about the bindings. I made a pillow at Christmas and bound it like a traditional quilt (sewed it on the front, turned and hand stitched it to the back) and swore I&#39;d never do it again! Since there wasn&#39;t the &quot;sandwich&quot; in between to stop the needle from going through to the front, it took days to complete. How did you bind

Live a Colorful Life
    April 3, 2014 at 6:43 pm

that grassy green is such a great addition to the color palette

Carolyn
    April 3, 2014 at 7:48 pm

These are so darling!!! Thanks also for admitting where you&#39;re imperfect as a quilter. It helps me to realize I can be good at what I&#39;m good at, and not have to be good at everything to still be a good quilter. I just really needed that today. Thanks again!

Jan Marie
    April 3, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Love them. And think they will be able to focus on the pillows and not all the other Christmas stuff.

Rose
    April 3, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Oh this pillow are beautiful!<br />I love the way you put all the colors together!<br />R

Sigi G
    April 4, 2014 at 4:58 am

What beautiful pillows! Those are real treasures!

Helen Ernst
    April 4, 2014 at 6:54 am

Well this just made my list…….! Just Say&#39;n–Darn Cute

dolores
    April 4, 2014 at 7:09 am

I know what you mean about navy…it really goes well with so many things and we are seeing it more and more in these bright Springy collections…and it&#39;s always the one my eye goes to. I need more navy in my stash!:)<br />Pillows are great. Love the shape!

Kathy
    April 4, 2014 at 9:44 am

So cute! Funny you should mention about sewing curves. Just last night I was working on a pillow project with curves and I thought, man, I can&#39;t get the hang of curves anymore! And I used to be so good at them when I used to sew clothing. Necklines, topstitching, nice and smooth. Now I stitch stitch turn, stitch stitch turn, no more smooth sailing!

cockney blonde
    April 5, 2014 at 8:26 am

Fabulous idea and I love the effects, x

alex_vologda
    April 6, 2014 at 3:50 am

Hello, Ami! I&#39;ve just stopped by your blog. It&#39;s great! I love these pillows. Thogh I&#39;m an avid cross-stitcher I want to sew them) Best wishes from your 5000th follower:)

wannabequilter.com
    April 7, 2014 at 7:48 am

These pillows are just so cute! Love the fabric you pulled for them.

Krysta
    April 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

What a great idea! I am currently making some quilts for my twin boys&#39; beds (your Double Crossed pattern, actually!), and something like this would make a GREAT accent pillow for their beds. And I love the Sarah Jane fabric on the back…i have some of the Out to Sea, but might need to pick up some of this rocket fabric while it is still available, since their quilts are loaded with rockets

Gina
    May 30, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Love your blog and these pillows are fantastic! Would you mind sharing what the ticking fabric is and where it came from? I&#39;ve been looking for some.<br /><br />Gina

Tanya Ivanku
    February 21, 2015 at 10:26 pm

These are gorgeous would love to have a go at making some, are their any instructions to follow as i am a beginner to sewing

amy smart
      February 28, 2015 at 10:56 pm

You know, I had someone do the applique letters for me because I&#39;m not super confident with those. But I&#39;m sure there are tutorials on line for applique letters.

Marie Hillhouse
    November 29, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I love the Applique Name Pillows and would like to make them for Chrismas gifts, Where could I find instructions for the pillows?
    Marie Hillhouse

Amy Smart
      November 30, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I’m afraid I don’t have specific instructions. Sara traced the letters on WonderUnder and then cut them out and fused them to the background fabric. Then machine stitched around the outside edges to secure them more permanently. I’m sorry not to have more directions than that. I’m sure there are lots of tutorials if you google Machine Raw Edge Applique.

Marie Hillhouse
        November 30, 2015 at 4:30 pm

By chance would you have the dimensions for the pillow? I think I can go from there if I knew how big they were. Thank you so much for your prompt answer.

Marie