For Christmas this year my sister asked if I would make name pillows for her kids. I think they turned out pretty cute. And finally they are done and will be on their way, only a couple of weeks late. Oh wait. When did it get to be April?! Well, you know what they say about better being late… Right?
My sister wanted to do something that would be distinctly boy and girl, not matchy-matchy, but still coordinate with each other. I loved pulling the fabrics for this and I think they worked out rather well. Can I just say again how much I love that navy is so popular right now? Works perfect for both boys and girls, I think.
The letters were appliqued by my friend Sara. (Thank heaven. She did a much better job than I would have. Thanks again Sara!) I have learned that I am not a precise sewer and have come to terms with and accepted the fact. With quilting I can kind of fudge things, and my imperfections are hidden by multiple seams, big picture, etc. But I wanted these to look nice as well as be durable (since they are for kids) and since I can’t sew an outline – especially a curve – to save my life, I’m so glad Sara came to the rescue.
These are the backs we used. It was so fun to pull solely from my stash. And I especially loved putting that Sarah Jane Children at Play Rockets print to good use. (I googled it and saw some still available here.)
Pulling for this project, I really fell in love with the color palette. Now I’m itching to make a baby girl quilt in with this group. I’m going to have to leave this stack together for a little while longer.
One more important thing checked off the list. Merry Christmas in April! Now to get working on the other 43 things…