Modern Quilt-as-you-Go pattern book

I first tried quilt-as-you-go sewing as part of a Bee-swap a few years ago and REALLY liked it. Basically, it’s piecing your fabrics directly onto the batting and then adding more quilting if you like. Basically quilting the quilt by blocks and then assembling the quilt blocks and adding a back. My Quilted Table Runner tutorial is a method of quilt-as-you-go piecing. The only thing I’d ever really done with q-a-y-g piecing was improv log-cabin blocks.
So when Jera offered to send me a copy of her new book,Quilt As-You-Go Made Modern, I was intrigued to see what could fill a whole book with this method. I’m so glad she sent it – it is such a great resource! First of all, it’s full of great information about supplies, techniques for quilting, piecing, batting, using fabric, etc. as well as clear instructions and multiple options for piecing the q-a-y-g blocks together, which is sometimes the trickiest part for me.
It also has 12 different quilt-as-you-go (q-a-y-g) patterns and projects to experiment and play with this method with multiple variation ideas for each project. Which means lots of inspiration.  I love this red, scrappy, improv log cabin look.
This is one I want to try – making a large-scale scrappy log cabin quilt.
The most inspiring part of the book for me was the way Jera took other quilt patterns and designs and made quilt-as-you-go options for them. I’ve seen lots of log cabin variations of quilt-as-you-go blocks, but was totally inspired by some new looks and options. This Emerald City quilt is going on my to-do list.
I was so inspired, in fact, I decided to start a new project my self. I’m continuing to try and push myself, not only out of my usual primary color palette, but to only pull from fabrics I have on hand. This is the colors I’m channeling for this project. Best part is that a lot of these are scraps! (Which is another great reason to love q-a-y-g = awesome way to use up not only fabric scraps, but batting scraps as well!)

I think one of the reasons I like the quilt-as-you-go technique is that I am not a confident machine quilter. I love the look of dense, heavy quilting but I don’t like the basting process and I tend to loose interest in quilting part way through a project, multiple times (like on this quilt that took almost a year to finish.) Making q-a-y-g blocks seems to hold my interest a little longer because of the piecing involved too.

Here’s where I’m at so far. I’m thinking this will turn into a baby boy quilt. I’m itching to get more done.
So, if you’re looking for more inspiration for quilt-as-you-go patterns, or just looking for a great resource with lots of helpful information to get started with this new technique, than I highly recommend Quilt As-You-Go Made Modern. I think it’s a great buy for a really useful book!

iwantobakefree
    September 26, 2014 at 3:42 am

Love it!

Lucy @ Charm About You
    September 26, 2014 at 4:11 am

Your blocks looks great and I haven't tried this technique for a quilt so maybe that's a project for next year!

Phyllis
    September 26, 2014 at 4:16 am

Looks great! Very interested in the book. Just one question: are there clear instructions on how to sew the blocks together into a quilt? That is actually what I find most complicated about qayg (have only done it by hand so far, which is why this book would be great!). Thanks!

amy smart
      September 26, 2014 at 9:51 am

Yes! Great question. I meant to mention that in the post. Thanks for the reminder!

randi--i have to say
    September 26, 2014 at 6:36 am

It does look like a really good book! The red log cabin is so pretty!

Linda
    September 26, 2014 at 7:00 am

Loving the look of it so far!

Hedy Hahn
    September 26, 2014 at 8:06 am

I just realized that the quilting part of making a quilt is kind of boring to me. I love the piecing, the color and fabric selection, but the quilting is just not my thing. I do it, but I don't enjoy it much at all. I might like QAYG, not sure, but guess I need to try it.

Adrienne
    September 26, 2014 at 8:39 am

I am a QAYG addict for the same reasons you are, quilting is very hard on my small machine, but I love the look of dense quilting. Quilting on smaller areas is way up my alley. Thanks for sharing this book. It is definitely going on my want list!

Rebecca Barnes
    September 26, 2014 at 10:59 am

I love this idea. I really struggle with the basting and this looks like a great option. I love the scrappy look you have going in yours. Will give it a try asap.

dolores
    September 26, 2014 at 11:15 am

Hmmmm….are you my missing sister? I can't get over how you will post stuff and I'm getting ready to do about the exact same thing! This happens all the time with us!! I have pulled some navy, brown, teal/turq and orange fabrics for something that is working itself out in my head and I was thinking to trying this QAYG method!!!

dolores
    September 26, 2014 at 11:19 am

Oh my goodness….it has happened again….I just pulled some navy, brown, orange and teal/turq fabrics for an idea I have rumbling around in my head AND I was thinking of doing the QAYG method for this quilt!!!! Cue the Twilight Zone music!!!!:)

Karen
    September 26, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Thank you so much for this review. I have been eyeing this book on-line but hadn't seen any of the interior pages. I love the start of your new quilt and sure hope you will share your progress and completion with us too.

Jeri Niksich
    September 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I I have only 1 method of QAYG so I would love this book for new ideas on how to QAYG, I am using a DSM, I did my 1st queen size quilt using the 1 way I know how to do it, next I'm doing a queen size with SID…it is a bear to work with, so I think I'll stick with QAYG until I can get a long arm to do FMQ on. I'm not sure if this is a give away for this book (it's late at night &

Gemini Jen NZ
    September 27, 2014 at 2:57 am

I like the idea that if you QAYG then when it comes to assembling the quilt, it is then pretty much finished – the quilting is done when the pieces are small and so you don't then have to fight to quilt up a bulky big quilt in a regular machine. I have plans to try it out…one day!

tenun
    September 28, 2014 at 10:28 am

untuk order <a href="http://www.tokokaintenunjepara.com/&quot; rel="nofollow">kain tenun</a>, maupun <a href="http://www.tokokaintenunjepara.com/&quot; rel="nofollow"> Tenun ikat</a>. Dan ingin membeli <a href="http://www.tokokaintenunjepara.com/&quot; rel="nofollow">kain tenun ikat</a>, <a href="http://www.tokokaintenunjepara.com/&quot; rel="nofollow">Tenun rangrang</a>, atau kain <a href="http://

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾
    September 28, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Your block is gorgeous, Amy! I like your approach to using your stash and trying new color schemes. The block has a fall feeling to me.

sarahmissy
    September 28, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Gorgeous!

Carmen Lee
    September 29, 2014 at 3:55 am

It&#39;s just wonderful! I love to search about quilting designs and latest trends going on. And I love the scheme you chosen for your quilting and the beautiful fabric too.

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com
    September 29, 2014 at 7:11 am

I&#39;m pretty new to quilting but have tried quilt as you go on a table runner and loved it. Looking forward to getting the book because I think it really helps simplify the quilting process.<br />Thanks for sharing!<br />Nancy http://www.embroideryit.com

Abby
    October 4, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I&#39;m not sure how this post showed up in my feed almost a fortnight after you posted it and totally not in sync with the dates on posts around it but I&#39;m so glad it did. I was craving something easy to play with and just a little retail therapy so I have just ordered this book. The only deal I had to make with myself is I need to finish the quilt top I&#39;m working on before I open it so

Rachel at Stitched in Color
    October 8, 2014 at 9:58 am

This sounds like a book that I&#39;d really enjoy. Thanks for the review!

Jessica Young
    October 9, 2014 at 10:01 am

I love how your block turned out! Can you tell me what fabric is around the center diamond block? White with the gold x&#39;s? It is so great! Thanks ~

Sarah
    October 15, 2014 at 10:07 am

Cute little quilt! I have never done a quilt as you go. Probably should try it soon. Thanks for the book info!