The Cloth House, London

When I travel – especially to big cities, I’m always on the lookout for unique sewing or fabric related shops (like Purl Soho in New York.) I was SO glad when a few of the ladies at the Fat Quarterly Retreat recommended The Cloth House because it fit the bill perfectly.
There are two Cloth House shops on Berwick street (at numbers 47 and 98). Because of time I only visited 47, before it closed. I’m wishing I could have seen number 98 as well. (No. 47 had more of the cottons, linens, and trims, where as I think No. 98 specializes more in the in garment fabrics.) They are located only a short walk east of Liberty of London.
The Cloth House is FULL of treasures. Not only are there a wide variety and number of bolts of fabrics, but there are also beautiful displays of vintage notions, trims, spools, ribbons, etc. or haberdashery as they say in the UK. (A much more fun word than notions, if you ask me.) I’ll let the photos speak for themselves. The displays were inspiring and tasteful.

Vintage linen hemp and pattern wallpaper
  Those jars!

I was good and only bought a couple of 1/4 metres of cotton. I wanted to get something unique that would be difficult for me to buy at home so I chose a printed cotton and a hand-stamped cotton, both from India.

Highly recommend a visit to the Cloth House if you’re in London. The staff was helpful, but not pestering. They were perfectly happy to let me browse and very gracious when I asked if I could take photos.

Kiwijo
    September 1, 2014 at 11:21 am

WOW, great pics. When I first came to the UK I worked behind the bar in The Green Man on Berwick street and none of the shops were this interesting. :o)<br />

Rike Busch
    September 1, 2014 at 11:52 am

What a fantastic shop!!!! Thanks for showing!<br />Greetings, Rike

Kim
    September 1, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Oh wonderful! My husband and I are going to have a weekend in London before Christmas, I&#39;ll have to add this shopto my growing list of crafty shops!!

Debra
    September 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm

These pictures make me happy.

Katy Cameron
    September 1, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Such a pretty looking shop, I&#39;ll need to remember that the next time I&#39;m in London!

Gisela Suski
    September 1, 2014 at 3:06 pm

A great place to be and wonder, oh how I wish I had taken photos of stores in NY about 50 years ago of fabric, hat stores. I passed them every day while my mother pushed me in a stroller.

Sharon
    September 1, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Your trip looks like it was wonderful ! The Fat quarterly retreat is on my list to attend some day

Hilary
    September 1, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Oh my goodness that shop looks heavenly! And I definitely agree with you, haberdashery is much more fun to say than notions πŸ™‚

thequiltingbird
    September 1, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I live in London and have visited this shop. The shop is beautiful and does have an &#39;olde worlde&#39; charm, but I wasn&#39;t looking charm I wanted an American style quilt store I keep hearing about on quilting blogs!

Margaret
    September 1, 2014 at 7:12 pm

What a charming shop! I&#39;m so glad you had the opportunity to visit.

Stacey
    September 1, 2014 at 10:02 pm

What a sweet looking shop. I love the store window display.

Gemini Jen NZ
    September 2, 2014 at 1:40 am

Looks like bliss!

Vanessa Swann
    September 2, 2014 at 1:51 am

Looks fabulous! One for my next trip to London! Thanks Amy!

myBearpaw
    September 2, 2014 at 3:13 am

Wow what an amazing place! And I didn&#39;t even know about it!! That is definitely on my list for my next visit – thanks Amy!

Quilting1965
    September 2, 2014 at 4:20 am

Hi Amy – I&#39;m from Cheshire in the NW of England and I just wanted to say thank you so much for your beautiful photos of the North of England. It&#39;s great when people experience what&#39;s outside London. We have a gorgeous country outside London which few visitors venture to see. I know you have been to the UK before and I hope you&#39;ll visit us again someday!! Best wishes XX

Sharon @ www.CraftsnCoffee.com
    September 2, 2014 at 5:24 am

Lovely! Such treasures. I&#39;m not sure I would have had your restraint!

Karen
    September 2, 2014 at 5:47 am

Thank you for the heads up! I&#39;m including this on our itinerary of shops to visit on our upcoming holiday! Amy, your photos are excellent!

threadsandbobbins
    September 2, 2014 at 8:11 am

Wow! Just wow! You have really captured the shop well! I want to go there now!

Kathy
    September 2, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Awesome! Beautiful stuff. And I love the pattern tissue used as wallpaper. I always wish patterns were still made single sized like that. I do not like the one&#39;s with so many sizes because I can&#39;t always follow the correct size line!

Sew Create It - Jane
    September 2, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I had the pleasure of visiting that shop very quickly last year…seeing your post makes me want to run off to London and visit it again!! :o)

Thimbleanna
    September 2, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Oooh, thanks for sharing your pictures — The Cloth House will definitely be on my list for the next visit I have to London. Whenever that may be LOL. It looks like a fun place to shop!

Jill
    September 3, 2014 at 3:06 am

Oh my! What a wonderful shoppe. Such pretty ribbon and trim. Thanks for sharing.

id
    September 3, 2014 at 10:33 am

I&#39;ve been there several times–and I have to say how amazed I am that it is NOW so nicely organized and not a jumble like it was before.

QuiltCandy
    September 3, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I was lucky enough to visit this year too Amy, and wasn&#39;t it fabulous!! I loved the overall feel of the store, and they were so friendly and helpful. Your purchases are gorgeous, I look forward to seeing what you make with them!

Linda
    September 4, 2014 at 6:16 am

I love the look of that store from the outside to the inside – the wood floors, the linens hanging in the window, everything inside placed so that it is just begging to be picked up. That&#39;s how I want my sewing room to look :)<br /><br />Please keep sharing your English adventures and photos. I have wanted to visit the UK since I was a girl and you have re-sparked my determination to go

rogee
    September 6, 2014 at 10:41 am

what a rustic looking shop..charming. some nice plaids……..