New Dresden Quilt + Quilting the New Classics book

A year ago right now I was working on one of my favorite projects ever, and couldn’t share because it was a submission for an upcoming book. That book has just come out and I’m excited that I can finally share both the quilt and the book!

The book is called Quilting the New Classicsby Michele Muska and is a fresh take on looking at the traditional roots of quilting and how they’ve affected modern quilting.

This book includes a brief history of 10 classic quilt blocks/designs (such as Bear Paw, Log Cabin, Nine Patch, Hexagons, Yo-yo’s, etc.) and then two quilt patterns for each, one traditional and one with a modern twist.

I was asked to create a Dresden Plate quilt using the traditional Dresden style.

This is the full version of my quilt. Dresden Plate patterns are made with a wedge-shaped block that is so versatile. (Like this Pinwheel version.) I kept this quilt fairly traditional in design, but made it a little more contemporary by making each ‘plate’ monochromatic.

For the fabric, I pulled out my American Jane/Sandy Klop stash and put it to use! If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you know that I’ve been a Sandy Klop fan for a while and have been hoarding her fabric for just the right thing. I finally decided this is it! The custom quilting on this quilt was done by Melissa Kelley of Sew Shabby quilting

I love the monochromatic plates, but in the end, I think my favorite aspect is the scrappy pieced border. I’ve always wanted to do a border like this and love the way it finished the quilt. The border pieces are also made using the same dresden wedge block. (I used Darlene Zimmerman’s Easy Dresden ruler.)

The modern quilt partnered with mine is this deconstructed wedge quilt by Marci Warren Elmer. It’s fantastic! Isn’t it cool to see the variety of designs that can be made with the same template?

Quilting the New Classics includes a history as well as images of heirloom pieces in each of the 10 styles. The book includes templates for all of the patterns in the book, but many of the templates match up with the range of specialty EZ rulers and templates by Simplicity that are widely available.

Here’s a sample of some of the traditional styled quilts in the book. One the left is a traditional Double Wedding Ring quilt by Shelly Pagliai and on the right is a design inspired by traditional Flying Geese blocks by Jackie Kunkel

As an example of another modern version of a traditional quilt, here’s this deconstructed Rail Fence quilt by Heather Jones

The contributors to this book are some of the most recognizable in the quilting world. I just returned from Quilt Market in Houston (trade show for the quilting industry) and attended a book signing for this book. Here I am, looking and feeling like Forrest Gump, amid a group of living quilting legends. I felt not worthy. Many of them are talking about their own contributions to this book over last and this week. Here are links to their sites. Some are even giving away copies of the book!

Because of the variety of styles featured, the gorgeous information included, and the beautiful photography, Quilting the New Classics would make a great gift to any quilter. It was an honor to be a contributor.

Do you have a favorite traditional quilt style that you love to recreate and/or have always wanted to make, but needed a little inspiration? This may be a good book for you too! It sure was a good motivation for me to finally make something that had been on my quilting-bucket list for a long time.

QuiltCandy
    October 28, 2014 at 3:19 am

This looks like a wonderful book, it's incredible isn't it how with just a few changes, a 'traditional' quilt can become so modern! Your Dresden plate quilt is stunning, I love the border too. And the 'modern' version is fab, such a clever idea!

Lee
    October 28, 2014 at 4:52 am

Your quilt is fabulous! My favorite blocks are log cabin and bear paw – I have this book on my wish list – it looks great!!

therese
    October 28, 2014 at 5:01 am

I just sighed when I saw this Amy. As a fellow Sandy Klop/American Jane fan I adore this quilt. It&#39;s perfect. And I&#39;ve had Dresdan Plates on my to do list for so long. So what&#39;s a girl to do? Buy a copy and sew of course !!<br />(and you are worthy by the way, don&#39;t doubt yourself) Therese x

Sewing In CT
    October 28, 2014 at 5:48 am

I will add this to my Christmas wishlist. Thank you for sharing. I love the low volume fabrics in the border and backgrounds. Awesome quilt!

Janet M
    October 28, 2014 at 6:58 am

The book is just what I&#39;m looking for – I love traditional but have been trying to think of more &#39;modern&#39; ways to approach traditional patterns.

Debra
    October 28, 2014 at 7:19 am

Congrats on creating a simply lovely quilt! Dresden blocks are my favorite. I have them all over my home in various fabrics; modern, vintage, hand dyed, and repro. The book is on my Christmas list.

Buffy Skolnick
    October 28, 2014 at 7:28 am

This is such an incredible quilt!!! Beautiful work!!!

Emily Camfield
    October 28, 2014 at 8:04 am

I would love to do a Dresden and a double wedding ring some day. Not super traditional, but not the modern, either. Looking forward to getting a copy of this book!

Melissa Corry
    October 28, 2014 at 9:11 am

Amy, your quilt is AMAzing!!! I love it!!! It was so fun getting to see you at market again 🙂

Hilary
    October 28, 2014 at 9:24 am

I love the concept of this book. Your dresden quilt is adorable! I&#39;m definitely putting this book on my Christmas wish list 🙂

Thimbleanna
    October 28, 2014 at 9:30 am

Beautiful Amy! I love your monochromatic take on the plates — and that border is just perfect!

Linda
    October 28, 2014 at 10:30 am

Amy,this is a beautiful quilt&gt;love the primary colors-look of it! Thanks for sharing!<br /><br />msstitcher1214@gmail.com

KMSC
    October 28, 2014 at 11:01 am

Your quilt is beautiful, Amy. You fit right in with all the other quilting stars! This book looks like a must-have! Congratulations!

Funky Kim
    October 28, 2014 at 3:43 pm

You are worthy! I promise!<br /><br />Me? I need to finish something. Then I can pretend to be you. LOL

Lauren Deel
    October 28, 2014 at 4:47 pm

This is so lovely. I was immediately drawn to the border, too. Very impressive! I also really like how you varied the background fabric of each block. As for my bucket list? Yep: the dresden is on it. I even have the template (but still in its packaging…)! Great work! 🙂

Afton Warrick
    October 28, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Congrats on your book contribution, and you are worthy. I hope you enjoyed Market. It was nice to see you again.

Sarah Grace
    October 28, 2014 at 4:52 pm

This is a wonderful idea for a book. I will definitely be adding it to my Amazon &quot;wishlist&quot; because I am always looking for new ways to make old patterns more modern. Your contribution to the book is absolutely lovely.

Donna S.
    October 28, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Your quilt is beautiful!!

clemensnp
    October 29, 2014 at 2:15 am

This is too beautiful – I can&#39;t stop looking at it!! Catherine x

Janie
    October 29, 2014 at 6:33 am

Love your quilt. I bet you were excited but couldn&#39;t share. Thanks for the information and the giveaway.<br /><br />janie.mccombs@yahoo.com

patty a.
    October 29, 2014 at 7:36 am

Your Dresden plate quilt turned out lovely!

Liz
    October 29, 2014 at 8:20 am

Your work on this quilt was beautifully done and the fabrics are so fun!

Lana
    October 29, 2014 at 9:30 am

And it is BEAUTIFUL! I can&#39;t even imagine how hard it was to have that finished and not be able to share it!<br />Congratulations!

Margo Yang
    October 29, 2014 at 9:47 am

It&#39;s beautiful as usual, Amy. I love the bright and happy colors you put into your quilt. Another job well done.

Stacy
    October 29, 2014 at 9:51 am

Your quilt is beautiful! I love all of your choices. The book looks great.

Chris Gonzales
    October 29, 2014 at 11:28 am

I would love to read this book. The Isle of Enchantment Collection looks awesome.

JANET
    October 29, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I am beginning to like Modern Quilting more and more. I always liked your Pinwheel block.

Southern Gal
    October 29, 2014 at 6:56 pm

My husband, son and I were in the mountains of NC for a few days. The guys let me go browse a quilt shop while we were there. I picked up a book and some pre-cuts. When I got in the car I looked more closely at the book and realized it was yours! I can&#39;t wait to dig into it and learn some shortcuts to making beautiful quilts. Just thought I&#39;d share that with you.

Iie Prima
    October 29, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Dear Amy,<br />I&#39;m from Indonesia and new in quilting.. I always read your website and I think this book looks great, it is so beautiful and I would love to read this book.<br />Congratulations!

Leanne
    October 29, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Your quilt is beautiful, What a great book to be part of.

Pauline Perry
    October 30, 2014 at 3:55 am

Your dresden plate quilt is gorgeous and the fabrics are too – love those prints – the border of your quilt is also fabulous. The quilt book is such a great idea and I will definitely get a copy – maybe Santa will be kind to me if I am not lucky enough to win a copy.<br />Pauline<br /><br />preferred contact: perry94022 at hotmail dot com

diane
    October 30, 2014 at 9:12 am

Amy this is a beautiful quilt and in my humble opinion you chose just the right fabrics to showcase this quilt.

Rebecca Grace
    October 30, 2014 at 10:11 am

Amy, I love your Dresden Plate quilt and you&#39;re right — that spikey pieced border makes it. Congratulations on the book, which is going IMMEDIATELY on my Amazon wish list!

OhioLori
    October 30, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Love your Dresden quilt!! would love to make one like it! It is Gorgeous!! Awesome job!! I would like to do a modern looking Log Cabin, or churn Dash.

MaterialGirlQuilts
    October 31, 2014 at 7:45 am

Such a fabulous quilt! Can&#39;t wait to check out the book.<br />Amanda

Michele T
    October 31, 2014 at 9:15 am

The book looks amazing!! I have always wanted to make the Bear Paw pattern.

Jodi
    October 31, 2014 at 9:28 am

Such a beautiful contribution you made! I def want this book!

Farm Quilter
    October 31, 2014 at 10:43 am

Love the traditional and modern side by side! This book looks fabulous!!!

Laurie Parrack
    October 31, 2014 at 11:11 am

I love the log cabin block. It is on my bucket list to make. One of these days. Congrats on being chosen to make a wonderful Dresden Plate quilt. I love the colors and fabrics for this quilt.

Karen Thurn
    October 31, 2014 at 11:47 am

I love the monochromatic theme. I&#39;ll have to try it next quilt.

desertskyquilts
    October 31, 2014 at 6:27 pm

I love your quilt! Thanks for sharing several pictures.

Kimberly McConville
    November 1, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I love the idea of this book. And your quilt is so bright and vibrant. Just love it!

croaky
    March 17, 2015 at 4:47 am

Excellent article. Keep writing such kind of info on your site.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hello there, You’ve performed a fantastic job.
    I’ll certainly digg it and in my view suggest to my friends.
    I’m confident they will be benefited from this website.

Modern Dresden Stripe Quilt Tutorial
    January 20, 2017 at 1:46 pm

[…] you are looking for more Dresden inspiration check out these rainbow Dresden wheels, my favorite Dresden quilt, and this Dresden circle pillow […]