Quilt Market, Houston 2014

Last week I had the chance to attend the International Quilt Market in Houston. This is a trade show for the fabric and sewing industry where companies show off their latest wares. Two books just came out that I contributed to (one being Quilting the New Classics as well as another one called Scraps, Inc. that will be out next month. More on that to come) so I got to participate in some publicity, signings, etc for those.
I’ve been to Spring Market a few times in the past, but never to Houston. It was a quick trip – I was only really there for 2 days – but it was SO nice to get away, see friends who I love and who inspire me, and to just recharge my creativity a little. Because I was only there such a short time, it was a bit of a blur. But I did take a few pictures to share of some of the upcoming releases that caught my eye. Here they are:

I have found that I am getting more and more inspired by deep, saturated color palettes, so hence, I love Alison Glass’s work. One of the few purchases I made was a bundle of her new collection of batiks, Handcrafted. I am in love with the palette. I’m also itching to do something with those gorgeous wools.

I’ve never been much of a batik user, so I’m excited to add something entirely new to my stash. Handcrafted comes out soon. If you are looking for some Alison Glass prints, check Westwood Acres. They should have Handcrafted bundles soon too.

More saturated color from Anna Maria Horner and her collection, Honor Roll.
I didn’t get a good close-up look at the new Cotton + Steel collections coming out this winter, but they will continue to coordinate with their current collections and basics. Love these palettes too.

I think saturated color with more of a sour, burnt feel are definitely the new trend. These prints are from Birch Fabrics. Their booth always has great details.

Walking through the Cloud 9 booth these awesome retro-mod prints totally caught my eye. This collection by Jessica Jones called Time Warp is all printed on organic cotton barkcloth – it’s more of a home-dec weight fabric with texture. So cool – and check out that coat! So cute.
One more collection along this same color trend and one that I’m really looking forward to is Maureen Cracknell’s debut collection Wild and Free for Art Gallery Fabrics. I am so excited for Maureen – she is such a gifted artist. This collection releases next month.
Also with a first-time collection for Art Gallery Fabrics is the always quiet and reserved (don’t let this picture fool you), Katy Jones (aka I’m a Ginger Monkey) with Priory Square. Who is also my new BFF for bringing me my favorite British treat, Jelly Babies.
Carolyn Friedlander is a quilting genius, I think. She has her own personal style that is so uniquely hers. (Check out that Kona solids quilt on the far left. There’s a free quilt pattern here. Totally on my list now.)

She has a new fabric collection coming out called Doe that is sure to be very popular with modern quilters. Also check out this couch. Seriously.

Kona Solids are celebrating their 30th anniversary. To celebrate there were 30 quilts made from Kona solids. You can find the pattern links here (some of which are free like the Carolyn Friedlander one).

Here is Darlene Zimmerman with her Kona Solid’s pattern, Joseph’s Coat (free pattern is here.) Darlene also has EZ Quilting templates for this project. She was demo-ing her curved piecing technique and I even had the courage to try. I think I want to make this one too.

The Dear Stella booth had some beautiful samples and I love their new France-inspired collection. It even had a mini macaroon print!
Some new collections from Riley Blake include Lori Holt’s Flower Patch and Derby Days by Melissa Mortenson. I have been so excited by this one! Melissa has been a real-life friend for a while now and I am so excited for her to launch her first fabric collection! And it’s so ‘her’ too. Both the colors and theme, seeing as she lives in Louisville, Kentucky, home of the Kentucky Derby.
 Some of the upcoming Moda collections: Daysail by Bonnie and Camille

Paradiso by Kate Spain. This was the first time I ever met Kate in person. She was SO lovely and friendly. (Of course, so many people in this industry are.)
 Aloha Girl by Fig Tree quilts.
Vanessa Christenson and her new collection Color Theory. Another great group of good color basics prints.

It was especially fun to see Jen Kingwell since having taught with her this summer at the Fat Quarterly retreat. Jen is a true gem. So gracious and fun.

Just seeing all of her projects inspires me. I love this hexagon quilt. It’s her use of colors that I really love (and envy.) She has the gift to pull together such an eclectic range of colors and fabrics and create magic.

Which is why I think it is so exciting that she has a new collection of fabrics herself coming out this spring with Moda called Gardenvale. I feel extremely lucky to have got my hands on a bundle at Sample Spree. Usually I have a hard time breaking into bundles, but this one I wanted to tear into right away and get a look at her prints. I also love that these prints will add some depth to my stash – especially in the purples department to help me make it more interesting.

A few more people who inspire me: Cristy Fincher. Check out her amazing work. Cristy is the one who shared all of the mind-blowing Glue-basting tricks and tips this summer.

Another one of my favorites Lee Chappell and her pattern co. named after her great grandmother, May Chappell. Does the bag on the bottom right look familiar? That’s the one that inspired my own version a couple of weeks ago.
Here are Lee and I visiting our blocks in the official Olfa 35 commemorative quilt

And then we threw down in the Kona IQ challenge where we had to match the name with the right shade. You’d think my hard core game face would have totally helped me out here. But you might be wrong.

And so (if you’re still reading by this point) that’s a wrap of Quilt Market 2014.

Dorian
    November 1, 2014 at 5:32 am

Thank you for the great recap. I love seeing Market posts πŸ™‚

actualseomedia0
      December 15, 2014 at 7:47 am

There may have been a time when simply having an online presence was enough to give you an edge in sales. That time was 25 years ago when the Internet was in its infancy. Now, without a Houston Seo Company to help you position your company at the top of search engine lists, your poor little website hasn’t a chance of rising to the top. All over the world, companies like our Houston Seo Company

gigi
    November 1, 2014 at 5:41 am

So appreciate your taking the time to show the new stuff to those of us who weren't there!

KathyinMN
    November 1, 2014 at 6:14 am

What a fab recap-thanks for sharing!

Merribeth
    November 1, 2014 at 7:16 am

Thanks so much for such a wonderful, fun recap of the show! It was a pleasure to read. Next best thing to being there!

Marie
    November 1, 2014 at 7:43 am

Looks like Market was tons of fun; I envy you being able to see all of those red and white quilts. I wish that the original exhibit would repeat somewhere – I'd seriously consider selling the house to get to see it.

Lauren
    November 1, 2014 at 7:44 am

Great post!! So fun to read and see pictures of all my favorites!! Your pictures are the best I've seen! Thanks for the sneek peek at quilt market!!!!

Ramona
    November 1, 2014 at 8:21 am

Gardenvale caught my eye this year too and I love Jen's patterns. So much to take in in just two days! How fun though.

Noel Minneci
    November 1, 2014 at 9:30 am

Thank you for the look! I&#39;ll be buying &quot;Gardenvale&quot; and the saturated batik collection. I feel like I was there!<br />

dolores
    November 1, 2014 at 9:46 am

So glad you could go!! I&#39;m doing a workshop with Alison Glass in a couple of weeks….that long purple dress with the white flying geese was made by Nicole who owns The Finch Sewing Studio here in Loudoun…that&#39;s where the workshop will be. So excited!!:)<br /><br />Love that you and Jen could meet up again. I could tell at the FQ retreat that you two really formed a special bond.

Just Sew Sue
    November 1, 2014 at 9:57 am

I&#39;m so envious Amy. Let me know if you want someone to carry your bags next time. I can bring Jelly babies too. πŸ˜‰

Lynne Tilley
    November 1, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Thanks for the recap and all the fabulous posts. It&#39;s neat to see the booths and the faces with the names…. thanks for sharing!

Ginny
    November 1, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Such a great recap! Looks like alot of fun and can&#39;t wait to see what you make with Gardenvale- fabulous prints!

Funky Kim
    November 1, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I love quilt market posts! I can hardly wait until next time it&#39;s in Salt Lake! I&#39;m on the volunteer list. And since I&#39;m not a shop owner or designer, that&#39;s the only way I get to be there in person. Hence, my love for posts!

Carol
    November 1, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Love the game face. You must really know your Kona colors!

gibbygoo56
    November 1, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Its so fun to go along with you on this field trip! I love hearing your perspective on the collections. I often wonder how the professionals buy fabrics. How do you know how much to buy? Is a fat quarter bundle enough of one collection? Do you buy other precuts? Beautiful quality fabric is expensive. <br />I loved hearing you find it tough to get into a bundle of fabric. I&#39;m feeling that

Karen
    November 2, 2014 at 1:27 am

Nice article entitled! So much coming soon to look forward to! <br /><br />Were the Red and White Quilts on display?

Janke Judith
    November 2, 2014 at 2:11 am

Hey there,<br /><br />So man wonderful colors and new fabrics and absoluty wonderful quilts. Thanks for showing. I love to read your blog, keep going on.<br /><br />Best wishes<br /><br />Judith

Olga Cabello
    November 2, 2014 at 2:13 am

Thanks a lot for this virtual visit.<br /><br />Kisses from Barcelona (Spain).<br /><br />Olga

Fleur Lane
    November 2, 2014 at 6:14 am

Thanks for a great tour of Quilt Market – love all the photos and nice quick reviews.<br /><br />Happy Making.<br /><br />Fleur @ The Village Maker

Lyrique Threads
    November 2, 2014 at 10:30 am

Wow! Thanks for taking so many great pictures and sharing them with us. I keep going back to the top of the post, reading and staring at the photos again and again. Gee, I&#39;m enjoying it.

DIane Warburton
    November 2, 2014 at 1:05 pm

A real fun account of the fair and so many yummy photos. Thanks heaps.

pennydog
    November 3, 2014 at 4:48 am

Thank you for such an awesome account!

myBearpaw
    November 3, 2014 at 6:38 am

Great post Amy, I feel like I was there with you! One day I will go…

Thimbleanna
    November 3, 2014 at 8:05 am

Excellent reporting Amy!!! Thank you for sharing all of your pictures — I almost felt like I was there with you. Usually, I don&#39;t miss Houston, but that Red and White display threw it over the top for me this time and made me sad that I wasn&#39;t there (not to mention Gardenvale at sample spree LOL). See you in MN???

tawa
    November 3, 2014 at 11:33 am

Best wrap-up I have read to date. Thanks for your post.

Betsy
    November 4, 2014 at 4:58 am

Oh how I wish I could go. Is it open for just regular customers or is it exclusive to shop owners?

Wendi
    November 4, 2014 at 9:08 am

Thanks for sharing, I really wish I could go! It looks amazing!!!!

Sandra
    November 5, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Thanks Amy. Great overview.

Jodie Zollinger
    November 10, 2014 at 8:53 am

Thanks so much Amy for spending the time to put together all these wonderful photos and report of your experiences at market. Absolutely love hearing about all the little details!

actualseomedia0
    January 14, 2015 at 11:31 pm

<br />Houston Seo Company can help you bring your company into the 21st century!<br />Yahoo news recently reported that there are more than one BILLION websites on the World Wide Web today. The question is this: is your website performing as you’d planned? Can your customers even find your website among the other millions of shops along the Information Super Highway? Simply having a website for