Catching up!

I hope that you all had a happy weekend kicking off the holiday season. Ours was BUSY, but I felt so productive. (I must say here that it helped that I didn’t need to host Thanksgiving dinner AND my husband totally took over pie duty. That frees up a lot of time.) However, I didn’t get much Christmas shopping done and only scratched the surface when it comes to decorating, but we’ll get there.
I did get some serious cleaning and organizing done which felt good including: cleaning out the garage, a couple of closets (including the one where the Christmas tree was lurking in the back, so that was kind of necessary), finishing an Ikea storage piece for our laundry room, spray painting an old kitchen bench
and I even basted a couple of quilts. The weather was mild so I felt like I should jump on the garage, basting, and bench while I could. I love when I have those bursts of energy and feel like I get a lot done. By Sunday I sure was pooped, but it felt good to have a productive surge.

I even had a little time left over for sewing. During my sewing time I made myself focus on WIP’s (works-in-progress) like this long over-due Bee block for Melissa.

I also made my September Aurifil block. (Which, as I look at this picture, needs some adjusting. So don’t look closely.)

Here are my blocks as of now. I’m still 3 blocks behind because the December block pattern came out yesterday (such a good one!) But that’s okay. One a week and I’ll catch up by the end of the year. (fingers crossed)

And here’s how my newly white bench is looking. Right now it’s providing a nice home for some of my Christmas quilts. I’m in the process of going white in a lot of my house including having the kitchen cabinets painted white and redoing the ugly fireplace with a nice white update. It’s all kind of in limbo at the moment (I haven’t had cabinet doors for weeks) so it will be nice when it’s all done and the house is put back together. I’ll share the before and after pictures when the “after” part is finally looking decent.

In the mean time, this parting view for today (since it’s a lot prettier that all the exposed cabinet interiors of my kitchen). This is part of the view from my backyard. As much as I don’t love winter, I have to say, I think that’s a pretty sight. Happy December to you and best wishes with your own chaos and to-do lists!

KathyinMN
    December 2, 2014 at 6:23 am

Thanks for sharing your WIPs. So inspiring! And the bench turned out great.

Anna @FreshDewDrops
    December 2, 2014 at 6:55 am

Love the bench with the quilts.

Margaret
    December 2, 2014 at 7:00 am

What a glorious vista!

Karen - Quilts...etc.
    December 2, 2014 at 8:07 am

love your bench for the quilts – lovely view you have

Thimbleanna
    December 2, 2014 at 8:53 am

Oh, those mountains! They're SO pretty! I love seeing them with snow on them! Sounds like you had a wonderful, productive week. I got some well-needed cleaning and organizing done too. But not much sewing ;-( !

Hedy Hahn
    December 2, 2014 at 9:25 am

I painted my kitchen cabinets and my fireplace brick white when I moved in. Love it and you will love yours too. Your view of the mountains are beautiful and I love all your WIP.

Southern Gal
    December 2, 2014 at 9:40 am

That bee block is beautiful! <br /><br />Do you mind me asking what you use for your design wall? I have a big blank wall to put one on, but I think I want something like flannel or felt so I can take it down and fold it up easily. It looks like yours is tacked?

Linda R
    December 2, 2014 at 10:07 am

Wow – what a view! Love your bench. Tks for sharing all your pics

Marie
    December 2, 2014 at 10:35 am

That view is SPECTACULAR!

Melissa Corry
    December 2, 2014 at 11:04 am

I love your new bench, so cute and crisp!!! And I am so excited for my block, thank you!!! I am hoping to have a few minutes this weekend to start putting the top together πŸ˜‰ So exciting!!!

susan cone
    December 2, 2014 at 11:12 am

Ditto to all the above: bench – darling! view – awesome!! Can I question your design wall? I want one but want it to be super easy but also workable so the fabric doesn&#39;t fall — and it looks like yours is possibly a flannel sheet hung on the wall. Thanks. : )<br />

Emily Kim
    December 2, 2014 at 11:15 am

What a beautiful view to inspire!! And I&#39;d love to see more of your Christmas quilts!!

kristin hartwig
    December 2, 2014 at 1:43 pm

beautiful view!

Susie
    December 2, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Love the quilt and that view is stunning!

dolores
    December 2, 2014 at 4:09 pm

So…is that a sunrise or sunset shot?:)

Tamie
    December 2, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Congratulations on your spurt of energy. I&#39;m still waiting for mine. What a stunning view!

JanetD
    December 3, 2014 at 5:30 am

I&#39;m three blocks behind on my aurifill project too! They may have to wait till after Christmas. What a view! Just breath-taking! I saw the questions on design wall – my hubby made mine with 2 sheets of wall insulation which I covered with a flannel sheet and staple gun. Then he attached them to the wall- what a difference it makes to have that!

Liz
    December 3, 2014 at 8:55 am

Love the bench idea. I think I have the same one but in original colors. Painting it white is a great idea! Agree that your view is beautiful.

SCStephquilts
    December 3, 2014 at 10:29 am

When I click on the link to the December block, it takes me to September. What am I doing wrong?

amy smart
      December 3, 2014 at 11:18 am

D&#39;oh! I pasted in the wrong link. Thanks for the heads up! I just fixed it.

LethargicLass
    December 3, 2014 at 10:49 am

wow… what a view!!

Rachel at Stitched in Color
    December 3, 2014 at 11:02 am

Oh gosh, that&#39;s a gorgeous sight. Wow! Thanks for sharing. I smiled at your &quot;going white&quot; comment. I seem to be going that way too. It definitely lets all the colorful handmade things shine! Your Christmas quilts look so pretty on that bench.

Katy Cameron
    December 3, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I&#39;m reassured to know that I&#39;m not the only nutter that uses the holiday weekends to do major housework, although mine tends to be at new year!<br /><br />Love your view :o)

Susan Hirst
    December 3, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I love these quilt patterns. My mom, my daughter, and I want to make a quilt together, so we&#39;ve been looking at different patterns. It&#39;s so hard to decide, because there are so many cute patterns out there.<br /><br />Susan Hirst | <a href="http://moresewforyou.com&quot; rel="nofollow"> http://moresewforyou.com</a&gt;

Patti
    December 3, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Your newest quilt that you were basting is lovely and your view is stunning! I live in the Midwest where it&#39;s all cornfields so I cannot even imagine getting to look at those mountains everyday!!

Sarah
    December 17, 2014 at 5:15 am

Your mountain view is so pretty. No snow capped mountains in my part of Australia, but I am close to the sea! I&#39;m wondering what the quilt is you&#39;ve got up on the design wall in the first picture? I really like its design.