Finished Baby Quilt + Tutorial

Sewing has been minimal lately. Life’s been a little full (hello December!) but I did get the Stick-Shift baby quilt quilted and bound. It was nice to have some mindless straight-line quilting to work on when I had a minute to sit at the sewing machine.

This quilt is made from Sweetwater’s new Boathouse Collection for Moda. I used a Jolly Bar (collection of pre-cuts) from the Fat Quarter Shop. Yardage should be available soon from the Fat Quarter Shop and FabricwormΒ as well as other fabric retailers. I’m such a sucker for nautical colors.
For the backing I was determined to use something I already had on hand, and I found this home dec gingham from Ikea in my stash, waiting for just the right project to back. Check.
I love the way this one turned out. I haven’t decided if I’m going to sell this one, or just hold onto it for a future baby present. Probably will end up being the latter.
Here’s a little bit of the reality behind the scenes around here right now. (Avert your eyes if piles of stuff stresses you out.) We’re still in the middle of remodeling our kitchen and family room. The kitchen is making progress – the family room is in flux. As a result a lot of junk from that room is currently piled up in our dining room/sewing space. It’s not pretty, and doesn’t do much to add to the Christmas ambiance, but I’m excited that we’re making progress. It’s also motivating me to clean-out and de-junk. I’ve made two trips to drop off at the thrift store this week!
Remember, there is a free tutorial for this pattern. I used the Jolly Bars, but it would also work with Jelly Roll strips. Click here for the tutorial for this quilt. If you make one, I’d love to see it!

Linda
    December 11, 2014 at 7:34 am

Is the binding also from the Boathouse Collection?<br />Love these colors and the pattern.

amy smart
      December 11, 2014 at 12:09 pm

No, it&#39;s something I had in my stash – it&#39;s from a recent Sandy Gervais line and it matched perfectly!<br />

NanaDiana
    December 11, 2014 at 9:45 am

What a beautiful quilt. I love the binding on it, too. xo Diana

Peg
    December 11, 2014 at 6:11 pm

It&#39;s very striking and would grace any nursery, I like the way you have used a &#39;softer&#39; backing to balance it out. I don&#39;t envy you your builders, we&#39;re having a new bathroom fitted in the new year and tbh I&#39;m dreading it but it&#39;s needed so I&#39;ll have to put up with it lol.<br /><br />Do you use the same machine as in the photo to quilt also or just piece, if so how

Thimbleanna
    December 11, 2014 at 10:00 pm

It&#39;s beautiful Amy! I can&#39;t wait to see your kitchen/family room makeover — what a wonderful Christmas gift!

Sigi G
    December 12, 2014 at 7:01 am

Thank you so much for these tutorials. You sure have a way with &#39;Fast &amp; Easy&#39; Quilt Patterns. I have a few jelly rolls that I want to use for binding some quilts – now I know what to do with the left overs. Thanks so much!

Karen
    December 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Amy, I&#39;m just impressed that you can do any sewing in the midst of remodeling! I can&#39;t keep my sewing space organized, and I don&#39;t have all that overflow from other parts of the house to step around/over. But I bet nothing will interfere with a wonderful Christmas! (Love the way the colors in your quilt make for such a crisp, clean look!)

Teri
    April 30, 2015 at 1:56 pm

How far apart are those quilt lines? Really beautiful quilt!

Amy Smart
      May 7, 2015 at 11:27 am

They’re about 1/2″ to 3/4″ apart. I don’t know if I could do that on a quilt bigger than a baby size, but I love the texture they give!