Playing catch-up and Maker’s T-Shirt

IMG_6572

It’s been a busy week around these parts. Lots going on behind the scenes – including a new project with this pile o’ fun (Wiltshire Daisy from Riley Blake Designs) that I’ve been working with this weekend.

IMG_6545It was also school play week last week. There is this amazing couple who volunteer every year to produce a play at my kid’s elementary school. Each year they coordinate over 100 kids who want to participate and put on a fantastic production. This year it was the Adventures of Tom Sawyer. My 10-year-old was one of these adorable school boys. (Seeing them always made me want to start singing Newsies songs.)

Needless to say, it was a lot of fun but a lot of work – as a lot more parents get to help make it all happen. After a week of dress-rehearsals and performances making for later nights than usual, we’re all a little pooped. And a few things got done more ‘creatively’ than usual (like using duct-tape to hang a quilt for a blog post when you only had a few minutes of daylight left to take pictures between piano lessons and getting to the play that night *ahem*) or just tossed-aside altogether. But it’s all worth it. Such a great experience for those kids. This is the 6th year one or more of my kids have participated.

IMG_6568

This also means that your husband get’s to go to JoAnn Fabrics as part of your Saturday-night-date so you can use that 60% off coupon before it expired. Very proud of him for putting aside all of his childhood-fabric-store-post-traumatic-stress to accompany me.Β (I’m pretty sure I’ve given the same thing to all of my children.)Β While we were there we also came across this delightful book. *wink, wink*

cantstopmakingtee

Last of all, my friend Amber is selling this awesome Maker t-shirt as a fundraiser for her 4-yr-old neighbor with Leukemia. I just ordered one for myself. They’re only available until the end of this week. If you want to know more, read all about it on Amber’s blog.

Finally a huge thank you again, since I can’t respond to all comments individually, for the kind words said about the new site. It means so much that you all continue to visit. Thank you! There are still a few things to fix – like my email address hasn’t been working – and I’m trying to figure out all the ins and outs of a new platform, but we’re getting there one step at a time. Continue to let me know if something isn’t working for you. I appreciate every heads up!

Thanks again and happy Monday!

LINDA
    March 23, 2015 at 3:07 pm

THANK YOU AMY FOR SHARING !

Lauren Deel
    March 23, 2015 at 7:01 pm

You love Newsies, too? I thought I was the only one who put it on when the husband has gone to bed and I’m still up binding a quilt. πŸ˜‰

Amy
      March 23, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Yes! Newsies is a total favorite. I’ve brainwashed my children so that they listen to it in the car with me. πŸ˜‰

Afton
    March 23, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Not that you weren’t already, but you’re in the “big time now, baby” since you have your book at JoAnn’s. I’m pretty sure my five-year-old son has childhood-fabric-store-post-traumatic-stress already. My perculiar obsession does help me understand him better though. Like me, he “can’t stop making”. It’s just that his mediums are Duplo blocks and train tracks. It’s fantastic that your kids have had the chance to participate in a play. It’s nice to see artistic opportunities for children are alive and well. What a major undertaking for all involved!

Amy
      March 23, 2015 at 9:45 pm

It’s still pretty surreal seeing my book in the rack at JoAnn’s! How does that happen?! And I know what you mean about being a maker. My youngest is my best maker – he loves Lego’s, Rainbow band bracelets, perler beads, etc. I love it!

liz n.
    March 24, 2015 at 9:25 am

Fabric PTSD! Ha ha!

When I used to drag my sons to the quilt shop, they would automatically hold out their arms because they knew I was about to load them up with bolts of fabric. The quilt shops, they didn’t mind so much, because they actually liked looking at the different colors and patterns, and there was always some nice lady to fuss over them. Craft stores, like JoAnn’s, was a different story altogether. One of my boys once tried to play dead to get out of going into JoAnn’s!

I find that rewarding them with food usually helps them recover pretty quickly. πŸ˜‰

nancy mC culley
    March 24, 2015 at 11:27 am

Help! I’m no longer receiving the blog since you changed. What do I have to do to get it back?

Amy
      March 24, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Yikes. I don’t know. Can you tell me how you were usually getting it previously? (Email? feedburner?) I need to get it fixed because I’m sure you’re not the only one. 😐 Thanks for your help and for the head’s up!

Carol
    March 24, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I looked at the t-shirt. Cute, but American Apparel seems to forget that women have boobs.

Karen Seitz
    April 15, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I love the photo of the young thespians! Also the one of your husband with your book. I am so sorry to have missed out on purchasing one of the Maker t-shirts! I stopped getting your blog feeds for a few weeks until yesterday, I guess due to your blog changes, so I missed my opportunity. I’m glad the feed is working again — 10 posts showed up in my inbox yesterday! πŸ™‚

Amy Smart
      April 16, 2015 at 10:28 am

Yes! Sorry about the feed issues – and the over load in the last email. I didn’t realize that those emails weren’t going out. And I didn’t realize it would send 10 at once! One more quirk in this transfer process. Thanks for your patience and your nice note. πŸ™‚