Overdue Fall Finish. And pumpkins

fall-sampler-quilt

Today I’ve got a mega-old, finally-finished, WIP (work-in-progress) to share. This was a block of the month I started over 10 years ago. A few weeks ago I was digging around my sewing stuff and found all of the pieces in a plastic bag.

fall-quilt-blocks

As I pulled it out to look at it I realized how close it was to being finished. All of the patchwork blocks were done, as was the center portion with the leaves and the scarecrow. The only thing holding it back was the inside checkerboard border – pieces were cut – they just needed to be sewn together and the outside borders added.

I was in a fall-ish mood and was taken with the sudden desire to get this puppy out and finished. And finished before the end of Fall. This Fall even.

paper-pieced-maple-leaf-block

As I mentioned, this quilt was a block of the month pattern at the shop where I worked at the time, American Quilting in Orem, Utah. When pulled out the fabric for the remaining pieces for the final two months’ fabric I found a paper with the date for that block – May 2006. (yes, it’s been that long…) And then I realized the reason why this got so close to being done and then put in a bag and ignored for 10 years – I had a baby 3 1/2 weeks early in April of 2006. And with three other little kids on top of that, pretty much everything got put in a proverbial plastic bag and placed on hold at that point. lol.

fall-quilt-block-sampler

So, needless to say, I’m giving myself a pat on the back for getting it out and done and crossed off the (miles-long) WIP list. And offering encouragment that there’s hope for any other 10-yr-old WIPS out there too.

pumpkin-quilting-detail

A big shout-out to Melissa from Sew Shabby Quilting for the custom quilting job that enhances the quilt so much!

pumpkins

And a shout out to the local pumpkin patch for the festive backdrop for taking pictures.

tractor-copy

pumpkin-patch-copy

fall-quilt-with-pumpkins

I know someone will want to know  about the pattern for this quilt. It was designed by Amy McClellan as a BOM for her shop and is available still from American Quilting. You can see Amy’s other cute patterns here.

And if you’re looking for motivation with your own WIP’s – you might want to check out Maker Valley’s printable WIP spreadsheets. There’s just something extra motivating about making a list and checking it off!

Elizabeth E.
    October 25, 2016 at 6:01 am

Very cute, Amy! I love this season and your quilt echoes all the themes we love: scarecrows, pumpkins, and fall colors. Happy fall!

Елена Артемова
    October 25, 2016 at 6:09 am

Good afternoon, Amy! Your квилт very pleased me! I adore such colouring of fabrics! For some reason at once a fairy-tale was remembered “Magician of country Оз”…)))

Margaret
    October 25, 2016 at 6:18 am

This quilt is darling and I know that you’re happy you got it finished and I know you will enjoy it a lot. One thing that struck me when I was looking at it was the variety of low volume prints in the background. Some new ideas are not really new, they are just reintroduced and enjoyed anew. ☺️ p.s. I’ve loved all of your nature photos from the last few days. My husband and I are planning a roadtrip out west next year to go to the very places that you have been visiting. We’re very excited.

Amy Smart
      October 25, 2016 at 10:10 am

Hah! I had the same thought. The variety of “low-volume” prints in the background certainly provides proof that this idea has been around a while – probably even pre-dates 2006. 😉

Excited for your road trip out west! It’s stunning country.

Christine
    October 25, 2016 at 6:43 am

Love the fall quilt! And it doesn’t even look like ten year old fabric! Very cool choice of photo shoot background! Beautiful! And yes, so fun to check things off the list – making room for more!

Jocelyn
    October 25, 2016 at 7:46 am

Love your fall quilt! And your pictures are beautiful!

Robby
    October 25, 2016 at 7:58 am

Seems like a perfectly good reason to have set it aside! But how nice to have it done and available to enjoy now. I always find it interesting to look back at those older projects and see if/how my tastes and thinking have changed. Happy Fall!

RaeLyn
    October 25, 2016 at 9:39 am

Good for you Amy! Yes, those babies tend to put everything else on hold. This gives me hope that one day when my baby is 10 years old, I may be able to quilt again!

beckyroberts
    October 25, 2016 at 10:05 am

The quilting really makes it fabulous. What a great work. and such discipline to finally finish it. That has GOT to feel good!

Alison Wood
    October 25, 2016 at 11:08 am

Very well done, Amy. It is so good to know that I am not alone in having such ancient WIPs lurking. Isn’t it the best feeling to have finished and given life to something bundled up from the back of the cupboard? You inspire us all to do likewise!

Sarah Beth Marchuk
    October 25, 2016 at 1:21 pm

I love this one. Fall is my favorite and I just love the quilt

Linda
    October 25, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Hooray for finished WIPs! And thank you for putting in parentheses what that stands for, When I first started quilting I had to Google many abbreviations/acronyms/initials, so the fact that you spelled it out is very considerate. Also I love your photos on Instagram and many times have started to say “you are so lucky” that you live near such beauty, but you are one of the rare people that realizes it and appreciates it. 🙂

Karen Seitz
    October 25, 2016 at 5:20 pm

I think you have given all of us (and our WIPs) encouragement today. 🙂 I have already decided that 2017 will be my year of finishing WIPs and getting started on lots of kits I have put together over the past few years. I love all the new stuff that is coming out all the time, but I still like all the things waiting for my attention too.

kathyinmn
    October 25, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Don’t you love pulling a project from the time out bin and it’s almost compete? Awesome job on the finish!

Lilpuddin
    October 25, 2016 at 10:31 pm

Your wall hanging is super cute! And I love the photos you posted of the p

Lilpuddin
      October 25, 2016 at 10:32 pm

*pumpkin patch* whoops!

Vicki Hoffman
    October 25, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Adorable quilt, Amy! The last picture of the quilt surrounded by pumpkins is especially perfect for the season. Congrats on finishing off another one.

Ginny
    October 26, 2016 at 4:02 am

So exciting – crossing that WIP off the list! Such a fun look back. Your pics are so beautiful!

nadine donovan
    October 26, 2016 at 6:20 am

I really like this quilt. I just love fall and this quilt just fits that feel. Great job!!

Lea
    October 26, 2016 at 11:50 am

That is just too cute! Fall decorating is so beautiful. Congratulations on finishing a WIP.

Karen
    October 26, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Bravo! There’s no time like the present 🙂

Sandra B
    October 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Love your quilt, Amy! It is a great fall season quilt….
    Don’t feel bad about taking so long to finish…
    I recently completed one that was nearly 20 years in the making… It was made from fabric received in a charm square exchange…over the years I would work on it a while, put it away for a while, then pull it out again…and this process was repeated over and over again….but I absolutely love the finished quilt…it was completely hand pieced and hand quilted…I think it is actually one of my favorites…
    Thanks so much for sharing your finish!

Rosemaryflower
    October 26, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Amy, this turned out wonderful. 10 years old! I guess you can’t call it vintage. I bet the kids loved this though. Perfect for fall. I love it and the quilting

Warm Quilts
    November 13, 2016 at 9:35 am

Thank you for giving us hope as we tackle our WIPs. Love the various worksheets you have linked, too!