Feel Good Sewing

Ireland Quilt

This post is all about the warm fuzzy’s. (Plus a fun downloadable quilt pattern!)

First of all, some of you who have been hanging around these parts for a l o n g time now may remember when I made an Irish Flag quilt for the baby of my dear friend Sarah who passed away due to complications in childbirth delivering her first baby. Making that flag helped me through my own grieving for Sarah’s tragic loss and for this baby who wouldn’t know his feisty Irish mother.

Irish Flag Quilt Story

I wanted so much to hold that baby in my arms and love him, but sending a quilt to the UK was the next best thing I could realistically do. Fast forward just over 7 years and that sweet baby came to visit! Only he’s obviously not a baby anymore. His Dad got remarried a few years ago to an awesome woman from America and they are living in the states. Seeing this boy so happy and with two parents who he loves was so heart-warming and joyful for me. And it was extra fun for me to see Sarah’s eyes and smile come alive exactly in this little face. To top it all off, they told me the quilt still lives on his bed. [Cue heart melting…]

So a happy update there.

Patchwork-Additional-1

Want some more warm fuzzies? This week the Fat Quarter Shop released the design for their 2017 Patchwork Quilt Along!

Patchwork-LOGO

Each month a new free downloadable block pattern will be released on the 15th. This quilt pattern is designed as a fundraiser for the Make A Wish Foundation as the FQS requests (but doesn’t require) a $5 donation to the Make A Wish foundation with the download of each pattern. The FQS and Moda Fabrics has pledged to match up to $20,000 of those donations.

Make_A_Wish_e5732_450x450

I have such a soft spot for the Make A Wish foundation because I’ve seen firsthand the difference they make in the lives of not only terminally ill children, but also in the lives of their families. I have a neighbor with 4 sons who have Muscular Dystrophy. Yes four. The oldest passed away at the age of 24 about 2 years ago. The other three are on their way to the same, degenerative fate. And yet these boys live life cheerfully and crack me up! Their family has been granted special family trips thanks to Make A Wish. Not only were these boys in heaven, but it was a great bit of respite and happy memories for two parents and healthy siblings who meet the needs of these boys every day.

Block1_web

The first block in the Quilt Along kicked-off this weekend – it’s this cute Souvenir of Friendship block. In addition to the free downloadable block pattern, there is also a handy video with tips on block cutting and assembly. You can find all of the information in this post.

FQS Patchwork Quilt AlongIf you make 6 blocks a month, by the end of the year you will be able to complete the full patchwork quilt design. The blocks will be demoed using Bonnie and Camille’s latest Basics collection. A limited number of kits are available. This would also be a fun project for using up your stash! I’m excited to quilt along!

AQ quilting retreat

Lastly- for those who might have missed the update – the Class Lists are now available for the Sew On and Sew Forth quilting retreat in Midway, Utah at the beginning of March! More details in the previous post.

Karen Goad
    January 17, 2017 at 6:17 pm

so nice that you got to meet your friends son after 7 years – and to learn he still has the quilt is so sweet – I bet she would have loved that. And double nice for you to know he is happy with two parents now. I will check out the free download to the pattern that you have told us about for the quilt along – it sounds interesting

Melanie F.
    January 17, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Sarah and Chris are dear friends of ours. We lived in Scotland when the wee man was born and the passing of his mum. One of the saddest days of my life. But you are right, Chris married a wonderful, wonderful woman! We love her too.

Amy Smart
      January 17, 2017 at 10:22 pm

No way! Such a small world. I feel so lucky that I got to visit Sarah in Manchester not long after she and Chris got married. I treasure that time spent with her then and felt so grateful that it gave me the chance to meet Chris in person before she went. It was SO good to see him again (I laughed so hard the whole night) and to see both those boys with Amy. She is a gem – I feel so grateful they found her.

Rhonda Caudill
    January 17, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Amy what pattern did you use for the flag quilt?

Amy Smart
      January 18, 2017 at 12:00 pm

I just made it up as I went a long. The flags were easy and then I just added a piece of the brown Kamla of varying widths to all four sides and squared the blocks up to the same size. Then I rotated the flags alternating directions. I don’t have the quilt (and it’s been so long I don’t remember) or I’d look up the measurements. But it’s a pretty easy one to wing it. You could even make bigger blocks if you’re interested in making a bigger quilt.

Rhonda Caudill
        January 22, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Amy thank you so much for the reply. I know you are a very busy woman. I was going to improvise myself…..the fact that you you would even consider looking up the measurements (if that had been possible) just warms my heart. Have a sincerely awesome day!

Little Quiltsong
    January 18, 2017 at 4:23 am

Loved your post, Amy! Thank you sharing. I’m also sewing along in the Patchwork Quilt Along, but on a smaller scale, again :)! Someday I will learn to quilt bigger quilts, but for now, smaller is better.

Amy Smart
      January 18, 2017 at 11:58 am

Good for you! (Mine may end up smaller too. 😉 )

Lissi
    January 18, 2017 at 8:13 am

Despite the fact that it has been a number of years, I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. I’m so happy, though, that you have gotten to meet her son in person; what a precious thing. <3

Ronni
    January 22, 2017 at 6:04 am

Great quilt story, and a great quilt too.
    Thanks, I’m grateful for your sharing.

Tracy Minyard
    January 22, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Such a beautiful post. So grateful you were able to meet him. ❤️

Julie Brack
    January 22, 2017 at 1:29 pm

This is why we quilt, and for so many other heartfelt reasons! This gave me goosebumps reading your post. So glad you got to see them again and God put an awesome mom/wife in their lives. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story!

gail
    January 22, 2017 at 4:37 pm

what a heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing it! As your know, being kind always comes back to you:) glad you could meet your friend’s son;) love the quilt too!

Fabric Happiness
    February 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm

[…] Each month there is a new block pattern available on the 15th + a video for extra help. The patterns are free, but a small donation to the Make A Wish Foundation is suggested. You can read more about the Patchwork Quilt Along here. […]