English Paper Piecing – new inspiration from Sharon Burgess

I first started to learn how to English Paper Piece a few years ago. I love it because it’s a fun handwork project that is easily portable and the finished results are so accurate and crisp because of the cardboard templates. But I’ll be the first to admit, I haven’t pushed my experience beyond the basic hexagons and diamonds.

So I was excited when Sharon Burgess of Lillabelle Lane contacted me to see if I’d like to review a copy of her new book: Quilting On the Go: English Paper Piecing.*

This book is great for beginners when it come to English Paper Piecing (EPP) with lots of helpful details about supplies such as useful notions and templates (essential for EPP) as well as the basics of how to sew your pieces together. (Let me just say here, speaking of supplies, I just broke out the pink rotating cutting mat from Sue Daley for the first time and it is SO helpful!)

Beyond the EPP basics, the book includes 16 projects such as quilts, table runners, bunting, pouches, journal covers, pincushions and even a clock!

The thing I was most impressed by is that Sharon really takes these projects to the next level with a variety of much more unique and complex EPP designs that go far beyond just simple hexagons and diamonds.

Sharon also discusses fussy-cutting fabric with some beautiful examples. For example, I love the fussy-cut motifs in these bunting flags.  How cute are they??

Here are a few other examples of projects made from patterns in the book. This Clam-shell Dilly bag, made by Sharon, is just a work of beauty. Clam-shells are one thing I’ve never tackled, but I adore the look of them.  They’re definitely on my list of skills to learn.

And the fussy-cut motifs on this Prairie Pouch (also made by Sharon using Sedef Imer’s upcoming Sweet Prairie fabric) is such a beautiful example of fussy cutting. All the heart-eyes for this one.

This cute hexagon journal cover was made by Anorina of Samelia’s Mom using the Journal Cover pattern in the book.

Reading Quilting on the Go: English Paper Piecing has really motivated me to push myself and try new things when it comes to English Paper Piecing patterns. I tried a new little star pattern using Gingham Girls – including some fussy cutting. I think I still need some practice to get things as crisp as Sharon, but I think it looks fun. I also love that these don’t have to be giant projects – that I can incorporate little blocks as a design motif on smaller projects.

Thanks so much for the new knowledge and inspiration Sharon! Hopefully you can find Quilting on the Go: English Paper Piecing at your favorite local quilt shop. If not, it’s available on Amazon. Be sure to check out Sharon’s blog Lilabelle Lane for lots of other EPP inspiration as well as links to other projects made with her patterns!

*this post contains affiliate links

Robby H.
    July 25, 2017 at 8:07 am

Those smaller projects certainly look beginner friendly. A chance to try it and not have to commit to some huge project but still get a FO. I’ll have to look for this one.

Mary Ann Scanlon
    July 25, 2017 at 9:03 am

Some very inspiring ideas here Amy! Thanks for the recommendation!

Helen LeBrett
    July 25, 2017 at 7:22 pm

Gasp! I LOVE the Gingham girls in the EPP star!!! And I have that fabric line: I have to try some fun EPP with it too!! Hugs, H

Nicole Sender
    July 25, 2017 at 11:14 pm

So many sweet projects! I’d love a copy of this book!

Cindy
    July 26, 2017 at 4:47 am

How sweet! I have not tried EPP, these projects make me want to try it.

Sandra Woods
    July 26, 2017 at 6:47 am

What? No giveaway? Too bad.

farmhousequiltsblog
    July 26, 2017 at 8:00 am

That looks like a great book and I really like the projects you featured! I have dabbled a bit in EPP but I could definitely use some more pointers! You didn’t mention if the books includes the templates for the EPP shapes…does it? Or do you need to buy those separately?

Amy Smart
      July 26, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Good question! It has diagrams you can trace to make your own, or yes, you would need to order them separately.

Thank you!

Marti Morgan
    July 26, 2017 at 8:19 am

I really want to try this and I think a smaller project would fit right into my curiousity

Marti Morgan
      July 26, 2017 at 8:20 am

curiosity – too many fingers and not enough brain

Joanne Obergfell
    July 26, 2017 at 12:39 pm

I am going to look for this book. I think I would like to try EPP. Thanks for sharing with us!!

Nicole Sender
    July 29, 2017 at 9:31 pm

Your little star is so sweet! Just love it!

Carmen Carter
    July 30, 2017 at 11:37 am

I’m new to EPP, and I purchased this book from Amazon based on your recommendation. I received it yesterday and I disagree that this book is for beginners. The projects and photography in this book are absolutely beautiful, but there is very little instruction on EPP for someone just starting out. As a result, I had to seek out other sources: went to the library and checked out All Points Perfect which is nothing but helpful instructions and tips and watched Sue Daley’s YouTube videos.

Amy
      July 31, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Oh darn – I’m sorry it didn’t meet your expectations. Thanks so much for your feedback. Glad you found other resources to help. Sue Daley’s videos are awesome!