Meet my next fabric collection: Sunnyside Ave

Whew. I just got back late Monday night from the International Quilt Market in Houston where I introduced my second fabric collection for Penny Rose Fabrics (part of Riley Blake Designs). I’m excited that I can now present a sneak peek of Sunnyside Ave!

Sunnyside Ave fabric collection by Amy Smart for Penny Rose Fabrics

The Sunnyside Ave collection will be hitting stores sometime in March, 2018. There will be SO much more to share (including 3 new quilt designs) as the time gets closer.

The color palette for this one is bright primary colors with, once again, a kind of retro-inspired vibe. It’s definitely meant to play with my Gingham Girls collection, and it goes SO well with the Riley Blake woven ginghams (which will have a bunch of new colors arriving in 2018). But there are a few new colors to change things up a bit. And of course, there’s a backstory for inspiration. πŸ˜‰

Sunnyside Ave was a street near the house where I grew up. There was a big park on Sunnyside where we played on the swings, learned to play tennis, watched my Dad play on a softball league, and went to family reunions. Later, as a teenager, I drove down Sunnyside Avenue every day to and from high school. Lots of nostalgia there.

One of the pieces that inspired this collection is this little draw-string denim backpack that my mom made for me when I was about 7. She made one for each of my sisters and hand-embroidered our names on them. They were perfect for packing our dolls and a snack and trekking around the neighborhood. So this collection is definitely another homage to that era of my life bringing back more memories of matching clothes, yarn hairbows, and back-to-school.

Vintage inspired Sunnyside Ave fabric collection by Amy Smart

As I struggled to come up with a name, I was trying to think of places in my childhood. When the name Sunnyside Ave came up, it felt like a perfect fit for the cheerful colors and personal nostalgia.

As you can tell, there’s a bit of an apple theme going on with this collection. As I prepped for Quilt Market I found this adorable Scrappy Apple pattern by Retro Mama for these stuffed apple pincushions. I was so grateful to friends Erika of Pink Suede ShoeΒ and Amy from Ameroonie Designs for helping to make them for my booth. I’m still pretty smitten.

Vintage Yarn Crewel embroidery apple pillow

And since I was already on an retro-inspired-apple kick, I was doing some googling for inspiration and found this vintage pillow with yarn crewel embroidered apples!

Vintage crewel-work yarn apple-themed throw pillow

Oh my goodness – such great patterns here! I’m going to see if I can recreate some of the patterns at some point. But for the meantime, enjoy this vintage-y inspiration.

Sunnyside Ave fabric Retro Travel Bag by Melissa of Polkadot Chair

Here’s an example of the apple print on navy. There will also be the red apples on white, with green dots as well as green apples on royal blue with white dots. I love the way the apple print works with the plaid. Both the navy apple and red plaid prints will be available as laminate cotton! I wish we’d had them in time to make the bag, but the regular cottons look pretty great too.

This pattern is the Retro Travel Bag from Melissa Mortenson of the Polkadot Chair.

Vintage inspired apron made with Sunnyside Ave fabrics by Amy Smart

I’m really excited about the addition of the royal, but especially excited about the kelly green. I have such a hard time finding kelly green fabric, so I decided to add it to my own collection.Β  Β It’s funny because every time I’ve shared a preview of the collection the most common response I get is, “Oh the green!” So apparently I’m not the only one who likes kelly green. You’re welcome. πŸ˜‰ lol

Sunnyside Ave fabric collection by Amy Smart for Penny Rose Fabrics coming March 2018

So, hopefully that’s enough for now to whet your appetite. I’ll definitely be sharing more of the individual prints, etc as well as more projects, quilts, and ideas as the time gets closer to the release date in March.

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the support and love for Gingham Girls this past year. It exceeded all of my wildest expectations. I feel beyond lucky to get the opportunity to design another collection.

I’m working on sifting through all of my pictures of Market last weekend and will put together my Quilt Market recap post by the end of the week. And I brought back some loot for a giveaway, so definitely check back!

muzikalmama
    November 1, 2017 at 6:35 pm

OK, so I’m not the only one who is SO excited about the green! So happy for you. Congrats, thanks for the stories, and sharing your amazing talents!!!

weddingdressblue
    November 1, 2017 at 6:44 pm

YAY for Kelly Green! I like my limes, mints, olives and hunters as much as the next person, but sometimes you need a color both strong and clear.

Lee
    November 1, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Your new line is fabulous!! I love anything apples – my husband and FIL have a small orchard!

Debbie
    November 1, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Cute fabric. Looking forward to seeing it in quilts.

Jen
    November 1, 2017 at 9:23 pm

This is such a great collection of prints and colors. I don’t know what to comment on first, the apples, that awesome pinwheel block poking out, or the Kelly green! It’s all just lovely.

Beth T.
    November 1, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Oh, what fun. Your fabric lines are so optimistic! Thanks, Amy, for the glimpse and for the “sunshine” you add to my stash.

Phyllis Jones
    November 1, 2017 at 11:32 pm

Amy, I just love your fabric lines! I was finally able to the gingham girls fabric and ready to start a project with it, but I better hurry cause I can tell already I want this line also.

travelingro
    November 2, 2017 at 12:03 am

I thought Gingham Girls was perfect but I want this one too …. lol I love your color choices and I really like that pillow. Congratulations!! A winning combo …. again.!

Annie
      November 2, 2017 at 7:12 am

I had the very same thought! I didn’t think Amy could come up with something as good as Gingham Girls but here she’s done it again with this line. I see a bit of vintage in this one too. Love it!

Susan
    November 2, 2017 at 3:07 am

So gorgeous! Everyone loves gingham, don’t they? And yes, Kelly green is fabulous too!

Susan H Caldwell
    November 2, 2017 at 5:40 am

I love your new fabric! I look forward to adding it to my collection πŸ™‚

peggycooperquilts
    November 2, 2017 at 6:10 am

Beautiful. Looking forward to seeing/petting this lovely fabric when it comes out.

Deanna Bowman
    November 2, 2017 at 6:26 am

I love love love the new line. Childhood memories the best.

itssew
    November 2, 2017 at 6:33 am

Love it, love it, love, and so many of my favorites red and navy.

Betty Lou
    November 2, 2017 at 6:40 am

Love it, love it, love it, and so many of my favorite red and navy prints. When will it be in stores?

Amy
      November 2, 2017 at 2:04 pm

It’ll be in stores by the end of March. Which feels like forever away, but hopefully it’ll come fast!

Carol Darden
    November 2, 2017 at 6:49 am

I just love your collections – both of them!

Julie J Vogel
    November 2, 2017 at 6:51 am

Oh WOW! I love it all! And I am going to have to make some apples!

Amy
      November 2, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Aren’t they the cutest?!

Janet
    November 2, 2017 at 6:56 am

So nice that your new line will work with Gingham Girls. I still haven’t cut into mine — it’s almost too cute on my shelf to mess it up! πŸ™‚

Judy Chastain
    November 2, 2017 at 7:19 am

You’ve done it again, I love these colors and fabrics.

Milena
    November 2, 2017 at 7:24 am

Love that apple pillow. But especially that Kelly green fabric! It adds the perfect touch. Milena

Donna Weeks
    November 2, 2017 at 7:26 am

I have followed your blog for years. Your fabric collections are amazing. This collection reminds me of my childhood. Added this collection to my fabric bucket list, and will probably make a series of travel bags. Thank D.Weeks

Kerry
    November 2, 2017 at 8:32 am

Lovely fabric colours!

Jodie Zollinger
    November 2, 2017 at 8:38 am

Wow, Amy you are such an inspiration! Ever since I started following your blog, around the time I learnt to sew & quilt (2013), I have been reading your amazing blog. (And it inspired me, when I started my own).

I don’t comment much but love actually reading your blog. It’s one of the few I read completely on a regular basis and am never disappointed with, turning to past tutorials

I love your blog content and photos, your easy designs and thorough tutorials. And I love your Utah /& national park quilt photos.

I love being transferred to your holiday destinations, i.e. the fairly recent ones Maine, Virginia and New England, possibly N. H. I think. Though that might have been last year!

Your photography is great and brings the whole quilt story together for me, and I love that.

Congratulations on both Gingham Girls and Sunnyside Ave. I’ve never noticed Riley Blake fabrics at my 2 ‘local’ quilt shops here in Switzerland, but I’ll definitely look for Sunnyside and G. G in the future and try to get my favorite LQS to bring it in.

I think both would look great combined to make a Lori Holt sampler or Row Along quilt. Which I have been dying to make. I’m sure the two lines would look fabulous! I love the blues and reds and especially combined with that kelly green.

Maybe those stunning rich colors of Utah earth secretly inspires those vivid colors.

Love it
    Jodie Zollinger

Amy
      November 2, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Jodie, Thank you SO much for such kind words. I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed the travel photos. My dream is to get back to your neck of the woods! I’d love to visit Switzerland again one day!

Melissa Corry
    November 2, 2017 at 9:12 am

Another amazing line Amy!!!! I wish I could have been at Market to see it in person and come give you a big hug!!

Kathleen
    November 2, 2017 at 9:45 am

Oh wow! I love this collection! Love the nostalgia of it and I always like seeing your way-back sibling photos. And look how cute those apples are lined up on that window sill!! This bundle just may break my fabric fasting that I have sworn myself too.

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts
    November 2, 2017 at 10:01 am

Sunnyside Ave is such a pretty line!

Tracey Holly
    November 2, 2017 at 10:41 am

Amy, I love your new fabrics coming out! They are perfect! I can’t wait!

Paige
    November 2, 2017 at 10:55 am

Congratulations! I love it!!!!! I can’t wait to see more of the fabrics and your new patterns!

Kim
    November 2, 2017 at 11:55 am

Amy, your new collection is so, so cute!! The apples are just darling, thanks so much for the shout out πŸ™‚ And that crewel pillow is incredible *swoon* xoxo

Amy
      November 2, 2017 at 2:00 pm

You’re welcome. Thank YOU for creating such a darling apple pattern! I love them so much!

Jean Truchan
    November 2, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Congratulations on your new fabric line! They all look stunning & can’t wait to get some to use for myself.

nonniew
    November 2, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Sweet collection! I love the apples on navy and the apron print. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the collection and your patterns.

Lea
    November 2, 2017 at 2:10 pm

What a fabulous collection!! It is so beautiful and cheerful. Oh I could have a lot of fun with these fabrics.

Karen Seitz
    November 2, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Great work! I’m glad this collection will work so well with Gingham Girls. Can’t get enough of that!

Christine Sherman
    November 2, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Love this collection! The green IS fantastic and so is that blue πŸ™‚

Barbara O
    November 3, 2017 at 4:24 am

Love your new fabric line Amy. I am a huge fan of the Gingham Girls and have quite a bit in my stash. Just love it, makes me think of my childhood. So looking forward to your new designs. Best of Luck!

travelingro
    November 3, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Saved this so I could keep looking at it. I don’t want to wait til March. lol I absolutely love this and want to be constantly reminded of it. I just had to write about it yet again. Yummy.

Mary Ann
    November 3, 2017 at 9:35 pm

I’m one of those cheering the green but this bright sunny yellow isn’t far behind! Waiting for March!

Karen W
    November 4, 2017 at 8:18 am

Wow, I love your new collection. We had a Sunnyside Avenue in Chicago, doesn’t sound like the same place but I wonder where you grew up…

Diane W
    November 4, 2017 at 8:45 pm

I love greens. Seems to go with everything.

Terri
    November 5, 2017 at 7:02 am

I’m liking this new collection. Will be looking for it in the quilt shop when it comes out.

Nyla-Jean de Boer
    November 5, 2017 at 7:36 am

Congratulations on your new collection! From strength to strength.

Barbara woods
    November 5, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Love that fabric

Cynthia
    November 8, 2017 at 9:01 am

Love your new collection! I can see some cute aprons in my future – your patterns remind me of some I had growing up. And I’m going to make a quilt next year using something from this collection- it’s one of my goals for 2018.