Checking in

Hello friends. I thought I’d do a quick check in to say hi and let you know I’m still around, but trying to soak in the end of summer. My kids went back to school this week. I always have mixed feelings about that. By the end of the summer part of me is craving the routine, not to mention some quiet time during the day to work.

But the other part of me knows I’m going to miss the beautiful weather, flexible schedules (late nights + not having to get up early), summer food, etc.

I purposely took things slow last week, putting work on hold, enjoying family time, etc. We went camping one night to one of my favorite local spots: Albion Basin in the Wasatch Mountains. (Hence the photos.) We had beautiful weather for camping and hiking on of my favorite hikes: Catherine’s Pass that over looks the Brighton Lakes (top photo.) It was so nice to soak it in. (And I wore my favorite new sewing shirt from Maker Valley.)

We also had a wedding for close friends over the weekend and it was so nice to just enjoy the day and good friends and put sewing aside.

I had big plans for the day my kids went back to school this week. I went for a hike with my husband that morning and then had plans to clean the house and go to Costco.

Instead, I fell asleep on the couch for 2 hours and I’ve napped every day since! I guess I needed it. I think the end of summer push/hoopla/constant coming-and-going wiped me out more than I thought.

So I’m enjoying a slower pace, catching up on my energy and hopefully getting things organized to get back to work. And it feels good, if not necessary.

Here’s what is finally on my sewing table: the scrappy log cabin blocks many of you donated for Project Linus. I kept hoping to get to them all summer, but was always running behind on something else. Well this week they finally made it to the top of the list! Last night I got 6 of the 7 (!!) quilts laid out while catching up on So You Think You Can Dance, and they are going to be awesome! Fingers crossed I’m going to get to my machine in the next few days and sew them up!

So I guess that’s my Sew Goodness message this month: don’t forget to take care of yourself too. Give yourself permission to take a nap when you need it, clear your head (and your work space) for a fresh start. Soak up the end of summer.

The unplanned, but needed, break has been a good one.

I’ll be back with lots more to share next week!

Jocelyn
    August 24, 2018 at 7:20 am

Beautiful pictures. My pace has really slowed down since all of my kids are now out of school. It’s a new season of life. πŸ˜‰

Shasta Matova
    August 24, 2018 at 7:41 am

Such beautiful pictures! Looks like a great way to take in the last of summer before school starts.

Mary
    August 24, 2018 at 9:22 am

Seven quilts in your queue??
    You are amazing!

Amy
      August 25, 2018 at 1:15 pm

I can’t take the credit. All of the 12 x 12 blocks were donated by other people – I’m just sewing big blocks together!

The Joyful Quilter
    August 24, 2018 at 2:38 pm

LOVE that sunset photo!! Best of luck with your quilting plans.

Amy
      August 25, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Thank you. xo

Lara
    August 24, 2018 at 4:23 pm

I am so glad to see bins under the table and half the table full of projects. makes me feel less alone in my work style!

Amy
      August 25, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Hah! Yes, Lara, you are definitely not alone! πŸ˜‰

jaybirdinohio
    August 24, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Such beautiful pictures. And obviously you needed the rest, so why not?

Amy
      August 25, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Yep! That’s what I’ve decided too.

Karen Seitz
    August 25, 2018 at 6:33 am

Thanks for the update and photos. Love your Maker T. Mine is on its way back for exchange. I’ve learned that the dolman style is not for me — lol.

Amy
      August 25, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Oh, bummer. Well, now you know. πŸ˜‰ Hopefully the new version fits great!

Mary Beth Baker
    August 25, 2018 at 8:10 am

Glad to hear someone else feels the need for recovering and resting after a wonderful summer with the children! My week is coming up. Naps are amazing!

Amy
      August 25, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Seriously. Three cheers for naps!

Cheryl Fewell-Brown
    August 25, 2018 at 8:37 am

My summer is ending with a cruise to Alaska for our 40th wedding anniversary. Our very first vacation without the entire family! I whipped out a quilt top with the panels from Moda Thicket collections. My youngest daughter turned 31 yesterday, decorates her home in neutrals of black, gray and white so it was perfect for their new home. She nearly squealed in the restaurant when I gave it to her at the restaurant where we had lunch along with our husbands and my granddaughters. I have spent so much time in the garden this year along with our new chickens that started out as chicks, that I did not get much sewing done. Looking forward to the rainy winter and lots of sewing!

Amy
      August 25, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Good for you! Enjoy that cruise!

Rosemaryflower
    August 27, 2018 at 8:57 am

Amy, so nice to hear from you. I love these photos. These make me happy.
    I am happy to hear that you had a nice summer with the kids around
    Time flies!!

lorindadavis
    August 28, 2018 at 9:56 am

Looks like an amazing hike! I understand that desire in the fall to get back to routine and schedule- I am very much looking forward to my kids going back to school next week. The continual coming and going and haphazard schedule was fun at the beginning of summer, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Enjoy your naps, quilting time, and settling into the new routine!