Meet the Makers Quilt Along with Riley Blake Designs

Free Quilt Block Tutorial

Today, Riley Blake is kicking off a fun quilt along called Meet the Makers. For the next few weeks there will be a free quilt block tutorial each week with video instruction to make the blocks!

The reason it’s called Meet the Makers is because many of the Riley Blake Designers will be sewing along, creating the blocks featuring fabric from their own collections! (Click here to see many of the blocks by other designers.)

I’ve started my blocks using fabric from both Gingham Girls and Sunnyside Avenue collections. I’ve always felt like they were coordinating sister collections so I’m excited to play with them both together.

This is Block #1. See video instructions below.

The finished quilt design calls for 8 of these blocks. I’ve got my first four and I’m trying to decide if I’m going to make the same block, or a different variation on the same colors. I’m kind of leaning in the direction of a scrappy variation.

Here is the finished quilt, made using Riley Blake Confetti Cottons (solids).  It’s so cheerful! I’m excited to see how it turns out in the variety of different fabric collections and color palettes. If you are interested in a kit for the Confetti Cottons version, they will be restocked and available again in October.

Here is the video tutorial to get you started on Block 1!

Here are the fabric requirements (per block) for Block 1  – based on the solids version. Of course, feel free to mix and match your fabrics and color placement!

• White: 8 squares 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ and 4 squares 3″ x 3″
  • Orange: 5 squares 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″
  • Light Pink: 4 squares 3″ x 3″
  • Dark Pink: 4 squares 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″

Sneak Peek alert! Here is the block using a few of the prints from my upcoming fabric collection, Gretel!

Gretel will be available in stores late November. Of course I will be share lots more photos and projects with you when that time comes, but here’s a fun little taste to tide you over!

To see the finished quilt and links to the rest of the blocks, CLICK HERE.

*This post contains affiliate links

Nanette
    August 29, 2018 at 9:40 am

I love this quilt in the Riley solids, and I can’t wait to see it in your prints. I want to make it, but a 70 inch square quilt isn’t really useful to me. I need bed sized quilts. I’ve been trying this figure out how to make extra blocks to make it queen sized. Any thoughts?

Amy
      August 29, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Hmm, I don’t have any specific ideas. Some quilts are just trickier to scale, especially when they’re laid out medallion style. You could try adding borders to expand the size?

Jill Neely
    August 29, 2018 at 10:11 am

Looks gorgeous, love this quilt. Is there fabric requirements for the entire quilt somewhere? Thanks.

Amy
      August 29, 2018 at 5:36 pm

I’ve been talking with Riley Blake today about publishing the fabric requirements ahead of time for the whole quilt. I’ll let you know as soon as possible if they do!

Linda Menkes
    August 29, 2018 at 11:27 am

Is there a way to get the printed directions for this quilt without buying the kit? I like to use my own fabric choices.

Amy
      August 29, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Good question. As of right now, there will be a block tutorial video each week for the next 4 weeks and each one will include fabric requirements and a demo for each block. I think at some point when the quilt along is finished there will be printed directions for the quilt in its entirety. I’m also hoping there will be a page with fabric requirements for the whole quilt – I’ll let you know as soon as I hear they’ve got it ready.

Marek Susan
    August 29, 2018 at 9:09 pm

Hello Amy,
    good to see you again. your patterns and designs are really good as always. the idea to make a quilt is great. thanks for sharing this to us

travelingro
    August 30, 2018 at 9:59 am

I really like this quilt as well. I would like written directions without buying a kit … ;( I absolutely love your new line and looking forward to it’s availability in November.

SusieQ
    August 30, 2018 at 12:35 pm

Why not use the sister collection in same colors to make the remaining 4 blocks.

Amy
      September 1, 2018 at 6:13 pm

I used both collections in this first block – so I think I’ll just remix similar colors from the other fabrics for the remaining blocks. 🙂

Rosemaryflower
    August 30, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Amy, jeepers, how adorable is this block with your fabric!!
    wowie I love your new fabrics too, and this new sneak peek block is wonderful

Amy
      September 1, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Thank you, Rosemary!! xo

Jeanne Sullivan
    August 31, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Totally love this, Amy! Your eye for color is inspiring…as is your blog! Thank you! <3

Amy
      September 1, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Thank you Jeanne! xo

Robby Bottom
    September 2, 2018 at 8:54 pm

I will be traveling from next week until mid November so I won’t be doing any quilting over this time. Will I be able to get the patterns for the blocks still from your emails Amy? I love your choice of fabrics.

Amy
      September 3, 2018 at 10:32 am

Thanks, Robby! Yep, the block patterns and video tutorials will be on display indefinitely. 🙂

Shade Tree Book Services
    September 12, 2018 at 7:04 am

Love the scrappy look of your quilt!!

Amy
      September 12, 2018 at 9:54 am

Thank you!

Joan A. Smith
    November 2, 2018 at 5:41 pm

Love your tutorials for the Sampler quilt. I dont have time right now to do it but would love to collect the quilt pattern in its complete form. Can you tell me where I can get it or order it?

Amy
      November 3, 2018 at 4:10 pm

I’m afraid I don’t have a printable pattern for this quilt. The star blocks are not mine, they’re created by Riley Blake – that’s why I link to the Riley Blake videos. It’s all just tutorial links in for this one. (And that’s why it’s free.)

But you could pin the post so that you can reference it later when you’re ready to make it!

Karen Johnson
    November 3, 2018 at 6:54 pm

I love your quilt! I wanted to point out that the video for block 2 doesn’t match the cutting instructions. You need 2.5 x 4.5 rectangles of the white. I figured it out, but newbies might get confused.

Amy
      November 3, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Oh! Thanks for the heads up! I’ll go fixe the info right now!