Quilting Projects I’ve Been Working On

Hello, friends! Thank you so much for your kind words on my travels post. (I’m never sure if those are just too boring- like sitting through someone’s travel slides. I do try and make it quilting related so there’s something of interest. 😉

Not a lot of new finishes to share at the moment, but I thought I’d give a little update on my current quilting projects and what’s on my cutting table.Quilting Projects featured by top US quilting blog Diary of a Quilter

My Current Quilting Projects

June was a busy month. We were on the road out of town for a good chunk of it. I did prep more of my red, white, and blue orange peel blocks to take with me. They’re a great carry-along project. I started them when we were traveling on a summer vacation 8 years ago (I just looked that up – I can’t believe it’s been that long!?) and have been working on quilting projects on summer trips ever since.

Quilting Projects featured by top US quilting blog Diary of a Quilter

I’m so glad I still like them! Back when I started I purposely chose a classic red, white, and blue color for that reason. I’ve just always loved red, white, and blue quilts. (I even have a Red, White, and Blue Quilts pinboard!)

It was fun to add Gretel fabrics to the mix this year. 🙂 Maybe this is the summer when I will finally count how many I’ve made and start sewing them together?

Quilting Projects featured by top US quilting blog Diary of a Quilter

Also on my cutting table this month: Christmas fabric of course! lol.

Actually I’m finishing up a new pattern and made a Christmas variation using Riley Blake basics as well as their new collections Merry & Bright and Winterberry.

Quilting Projects featured by top US quilting blog Diary of a Quilter

In my next up pile: this adorable collection called Joey by Deena Rutter featuring the sweetest mama and baby Koala Bears and Sloths. I’m itching to start cutting into it! Fingers crossed this weekend it’ll happen.

I’ve got a new baby quilt tutorial in mind for this stuff!

Quilting Projects featured by top US quilting blog Diary of a Quilter

Quilting Projects featured by top US quilting blog Diary of a Quilter

Finally, a picture of this years’ poppies from the foothills near our house. They were a good sanity saver last week. And a lot prettier than other issues we’ve got going!

Because in other less pretty news, we had a bit of a summer surprise. Just when I was starting to think things would settle down after a busy June of traveling and house guests – we discovered a leak under the kitchen sink. We’ve had issues there off and on for years and this time really pulled back to investigate.  Well, let’s just say thank goodness for insurance because the damage was a lot worse than we expected and I had guys here ripping out half my kitchen this week. We’re in for a fun summer of kitchen repairs… I’m trying to laugh so I don’t cry.

This definitely was not part of my summer plans to get my life organized and savor the moments with my growing kids…  but, maybe it is. It’s a good time to clean out the kitchen and other connected areas. I can still Marie Kondo parts of my house. And I can still slow down and connect with the kids while we’re waiting for contractors….

So maybe a lot less sewing than I’d originally planned this summer, but that’s okay too…

Brenda
    June 27, 2019 at 2:37 pm

So sorry about your kitchen drama. 🙁
    Love your orange peel blocks! What is the finished quilt supposed to look like? Hope things get better for you!

Gwyn
    June 27, 2019 at 6:21 pm

I’l trade a leaky sink, et al for a leaky roof. 🙁 Best wishes with your repair work. I love your blocks!!

Robby H.
    June 27, 2019 at 6:50 pm

So sorry to read about the kitchen issues. Here’s to some sort of silver linings in the process to follow! Maybe it means extra grilling (and s’mores!) so there are fewer dishes. Good luck.

Dori Johns
    June 28, 2019 at 5:53 am

I’ve always wanted to have a ‘carry-along’ project and I’m SO going to follow your lead on using specific colors. Thanks ever so much for sharing your brilliant idea!

I can remember the days of major kitchen repairs that had me washing dishes in the bathroom sink (ugh!) and preparing meals in my electric frying pan on the dining room buffet. We pretended we were camping outdoors and somehow made it through the chaos unscathed. 🙂 Wishing you clear skies ahead!

Barbara McDonald
    June 28, 2019 at 8:59 am

“Looking pretty perfect with this collection is this lovely new navy blue Olfa Rotary cutter. Olfa just released a new selection of navy products including rotary cutters and cutting mats! I’ve always been a sucker for navy, so I’m pretty excited.”

YOU AND ME BOTH. I love all things blue and my stash, unfortunately, shows it. But I have umpteen rotary cutters and don’t NEED another one, but . . . . we’ll see if one accidentally follows me home someday! 😇

Kristi
    June 28, 2019 at 10:16 am

Sorry about the damage under the kitchen sink but maybe you can remodel a little also (?)
    When things like this happen, I always say, “it could be worse.” Because it can.
    Have a wonderful summer.

Amy
      June 28, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Yes – so true! That is going to be one of my mantras this summer!

Rosemaryflower
    June 28, 2019 at 11:26 am

Oh my goodness, what GOODNESS! I adore this fabric and sweet project of red white and blue applique. Wow.

Judy BURRIS
    June 28, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Thank you for your blog posts! So inspiring!

Shasta
    June 28, 2019 at 5:11 pm

Those peels are pretty and good for you for choosing classic colors. Kitchen troubles are no fun – I would use them as an excuse for more sewing. Shucks! I can’t cook. Can’t clean without water either.

Mia is mine
    June 28, 2019 at 10:25 pm

Your orange peels are lovely! Are you planning to hand piece the blocks together? Thank you for sharing such a great project!

Amy
      July 2, 2019 at 10:29 am

Thank you! I think I will machine piece the blocks.

Judith Fairchild
    June 29, 2019 at 8:24 am

So sorry about your kitchen it’s a huge problem when faced with it.

Amy
      July 2, 2019 at 10:29 am

Thank you – oh my goodness – such a pain. :/

Lea
    June 29, 2019 at 9:57 pm

I have wanted to make an orange peel quilt for a long time but it’s always on a back burner. Your beautiful blocks have inspired me to move this project up. Thanks!

Currently I haven’t been able to do much quilting. But I think a carry along hand stitching project would be doable and relaxing and do me some good.

Mayra Amaro-Alvarez
    July 1, 2019 at 8:01 am

Hello, Love these orange peel blocks!! Do you happen to have a tutorial on how to make these??

Amy
      July 2, 2019 at 10:28 am

No, but that’s a great idea! I’ll work on one for this summer!