Delayed Pine Hollow Pattern Quilt Along

First of all, huge apologies if you are here, eagerly ready to start the Pine Hollow Pattern Quilt Along.

I have to admit my stupidity to the world. I tried to do too much, too fast. And I failed miserably.

I have a feeling some of you might relate to that feeling, so I thank you for your compassion on me.

Delayed Pine Hollow Pattern by popular quilting blog, Diary of a Quilter: image of a Pine Hollow Pattern on top of various kinds of fabric.

I’ve been guilty of running faster than I have strength this month. I felt bad that I’d promised to kick off a Quilt Along (my first!) featuring my Pine Hollow pattern this month. And as the calendar started to slip away from me, I grabbed a date and went for it.

Usually this kind of deadline is good for me to make things happen. But I didn’t factor in the craziness of preparing for, teaching, lecturing and otherwise participating in a big quilting event (Garden of Quilts) last weekend. It was so awesome (and I’m so excited to share more of my thoughts and pictures with you later this week).

But I can tell I’m not as spry as I used to be, because this week I am wiped out and having a hard time pulling my act together.

In times past I would have pulled late nighters to get ready and still launch on time. But I’m trying to do a better job of pacing myself these days. Because this quilt stuff is supposed to be for fun, not to kill me (or any of us) off.

Delayed Pine Hollow Pattern by popular quilting blog, Diary of a Quilter: image of a Pine Hollow patchwork forest quilt.

So, I apologize for pushing the beginning of the great Pine Hollow Patchwork Forest Quilt Along back one week. I was stupid to think I could cram everything on my plate into a short amount of time and survive.

Delayed Pine Hollow Pattern by popular quilting blog, Diary of a Quilter: image of a sewing table with various fabrics and a pine hollow pattern on it.

As I’m growing older up, I’m also getting wiser and today amidst fighting off a cold and a sick kid home from school, and packaging and shipping patterns from the shop sale this weekend, I realized it would be so much better for all of us to take a deep breath and gear up for next week.

A bonus to this decision is that I’ve been talking with some fun shops who are sponsoring prizes and giveaways for this Quilt Along, and this will give them time as well to prepare some fun fabric ideas + kit options for you.

So thank you again for your patience with my stupidity. I’m really excited to start this Quilt Along and have some fun things planned! This will give me time to get all of my ducks in a row.

Sugarhouse Park fabric collection by Amy Smart for Riley Blake Designs | Delayed Pine Hollow Pattern by popular quilting blog, Diary of a Quilter: image of a Sugarhouse Park fabric bundle.

In the meantime, here’s a pretty picture of fabric. I just got the official sample yardage of my Sugarhouse Park fabric collection! It’s arriving in stores in just a few weeks! I can’t wait to play with it and share more of some fun projects made with it!

What quilting project are you currently working on? Share in a comment below!

Christine
    September 18, 2019 at 6:29 am

Oh Amy, I think so many of us are guilty of this! (I know I am, for sure!) Don’t feel bad about it. Life happens. (Especially when you have littles at home!) I’ll still be here even if it takes you a month to get it going. Hang in there, breathe, and remember that so many of us are grateful to have you here in this space!

Deb E / CA
    September 18, 2019 at 7:28 am

We’ve ALL been there! Hope you get some time for yourself this week, a little R&R to recharge the batteries, and we look forward to the start next week. Looking forward to it! Deb E / CA

Marie Cheesman
    September 18, 2019 at 7:29 am

Good for you for putting the brakes on when you need the rest to clear your head. I mean, it’s supposed to be fun for everyone, isn’t it? Get well and have fun with your launch next week.

Wonda Simpson
    September 18, 2019 at 7:55 am

I met you last week at garden of quilts. You even signed a pattern I bought from you and I am still trying to recoup from that amazing quilt show. My step counter watch went way over the charts. ?. Your class by the waterfalls was so good. Can’t wait to take this class whenever your ready because yes it is suppose to be fun…

Amy
      September 18, 2019 at 10:28 am

Thanks so much for coming, Wonda! I hope you’re recovering too!

Jo Ann
    September 18, 2019 at 7:58 am

I’m interested in purchasing a kit for the quilt along. Could you tell me which shops are making kits?

Amy
      September 18, 2019 at 10:28 am

I know of shops who are preparing kits (a variety of fabric combinations!) but not ready (or photographed) yet. I’ll have them all listed next week on my post!

CherylB
    September 18, 2019 at 8:12 am

I totally feel you on this…. over the past few years I’ve noticed my ability to ‘keep up’ has slowed as has my body. Seems like it takes longer to do the things I use to do?!:(
    But so wise to recognize this in ourselves and slow the pace

Kathleen OGrady
    September 18, 2019 at 9:24 am

I have to say that I am a bit relieved that it will not start until next week. I have not joined a quilt along for a very long time because I just can’t seem to find the time but I decided I am going to join this one no matter what. But, alas I am not quite ready either. So this will give me a bit more prep time and I hope that it does the same for you. Sometimes those delays turn out to be a good thing! Thank you for taking the time to have this QAL. I love your pattern and know it will be great fun to make.

Karen M Fulbright
    September 18, 2019 at 9:54 am

{{{GIANT HUGZ}}} I so related to your post. I am slowly getting better at NOT overbooking myself. I am partnered with a wonderful group of ladies, who started not having quilted at all to making wonderful creations, thinking outside the box and a joy to call my friends. We just wound up our 3rd annual quilt show and it was amazing, but I am still exhausted and that was a month ago. I am caring for our 4 year old grandson. Carbon copy of my son, but I am NOT 23 anymore. Nearly double that LOL! Take care of YOU. We’ve all been there in some respect and totally understand 🙂 <3 Karen

Jenni
    September 18, 2019 at 10:05 am

It’s so nice to know that you are “normal”! I appreciate that you are taking care of your self/health, what a great example to all women!

Julie
    September 18, 2019 at 10:19 am

No worries…I want to do this QAL/SAL but have been so busy finishing up a quilt top and jelly roll rug so I am happy it didn’t start this week. Looking forward to the weeks to come doing this project. Thank you…and again…no worries as life happens!

sgrancio
    September 18, 2019 at 2:43 pm

Oh, ouch! I totally understand getting overwhelmed and missing a few steps on the hamster wheel of life. Do take some deep breaths, go for some long walks and refresh.
    Quilters who are playing in the sparkly word of blogs and instagram are all very likely to be over-committed, so a short pushback should not cause any distress.
    The pattern/quilt looks terrific, but I will follow along from the sidelines. ? i’ve already fallen for a few new shiny projects for which I had no space on my calendar!
    @susansquiltstudio

SarahB
    September 18, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Amy, the best thing about your blog is that you don’t hide the fact that you’re human. I call that wisdom—and thank you for the gift of it.

Teresa Block
    September 18, 2019 at 8:29 pm

No problem at all! I don’t think it’s stupid at all, but more like underestimating how long it takes to get things done. We’ve all done that I’ll bet!

Shelley
    September 18, 2019 at 9:30 pm

Hugs!! I am in the same boat as you. Growing up and thinking I still have the ability to stay up late to get it all done!! Bonus points for you for being honest with us and yourself! Take time to heal and recoup and take care of your family!

shoshana
    September 18, 2019 at 11:02 pm

i’m sure the qal will be wonderful whenever it starts! possisbley all of us should make a new committment NOT to be so down on ourselves if we misjudge our timing. you’re not stupid and haven’t made a stupid mistake, just a normal one. and if one of the things we all love about this quilting community is it’s realness, and caring, maybe extend some of that to yourself…it’s going to be wonderful, this week, next week or even the week after that!!!!

Kim
    September 19, 2019 at 2:14 am

Please don’t call yourself stupid! You are a human being who is doing the best that she can — and wisely recognizing that there is no sane reason to push yourself so hard on this when you have so much going on.

It sounds like you have a really busy week regardless — good luck with getting through all that.

Be kind to yourself!

Lynda Treen
    September 19, 2019 at 3:44 am

You are not stupid. You are getting smarter. That is what growing ‘up’ means. Getting smarter. We have to pick our battles as we age and we also have to pick our battles when we have to battle illness or physical limitations. Just do what you can do each day and save time to rest up each day. Good luck!!

Nina
    September 19, 2019 at 5:24 am

Please don’t be so hard on yourself! You’re not a robot! We all understand, no big deal. Have a great day and relax, you are awesome!!

farmhousequiltsblog
    September 19, 2019 at 5:31 am

Wait! There is a quilt along happening? How did I miss this announcement?? You starting a bit later will hopefully give me a chance to get ready to join in!??.

Melissa
    September 19, 2019 at 5:32 am

You’re not stupid just human. We all get caught up in the time machine. Slow down have a cup of tea or coffee and get back to being in the moment.

Ginger Parker
    September 19, 2019 at 5:56 am

It was so fun to meet you at garden of quilts. What a great show, and I loved seeing all your quilts during your trunk show.
    Frankly starting next week works better for me too so no complaints here!! 🙂

Pamela Meyers Arbour
    September 19, 2019 at 6:19 am

I am sure everyone feels that way when they are trying to do too much. No quilt police here. I can’t see why this would thow off anyone’s schedule to wait a bit. It might even give more people a chance to join in.

Becky
    September 19, 2019 at 6:20 am

You are just like everyone else who has a life along with quilting. Doesn’t that affirmation make you feel better? For some reason because we think it is fun to quilt that deadlines won’t be a problem but when it isn’t fun something’s wrong. Thank you for having the courage to throw yourself under the bus, so to say. Three cheers for your honesty and congrats on all your accomplishments. Good luck with the quilt-along

Tracy
    September 19, 2019 at 6:39 am

Thank you for being honest and caring for yourself and your family! I needed this message today. Hoping to join the Quilt Along, but life has been so crazy, my poor sewing machine is neglected. Hoping to reclaim my sewing table and get back to one of my favorite things.

Linda B
    September 19, 2019 at 7:49 am

Hi Amy…you certainly are not stupid, and everyone in this space appreciates all the energy you send our way continually! And you most probably did spend your energy in the places that needed it first…your family and yourself. Increase your D3 supplements (and add K2) and hope you get back to feeling well quickly! Look forward to the QAL whenever it materializes, and that will be the perfect time! TAke care!

quilter37
    September 19, 2019 at 9:44 am

I ordered Pine Hollow PDF Couldn’t download. Was charged on my card. Please help

Amy
      September 19, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Looking into it right now! – Email the details to amy@diaryofaquilter.com, including the name and/or email address you ordered it under so that I can find your order. We’ll get it solved.

coollizzie
    September 19, 2019 at 9:52 am

YAY!!!!! Good girl! Haa – I can say that since I’m old enough to be your mama 😉 I’m so on board with giving ourselves a danged break and recognizing we’re human BEINGS, not human DOINGS – at least all the time! Now we can work on some of our other projects that are piled all around. Take two weeks if you need to! xox

Amy
      September 19, 2019 at 2:37 pm

Hah! I love that! I need to remember to just “Be” more often.

Gwen Humphries
    September 19, 2019 at 10:44 am

Thank you for your blog. Please do not beat yourself up for being ill/busy/human. Rest and take care of yourself.

Terry Phelps
    September 19, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Well i wanted to do this and this extra week gives time to pull my supplies together. Big Hugs .. and remember “you got this”

Lucy | Charm About You
    September 19, 2019 at 1:44 pm

You do so much Amy! This is sensible and admirable!! Xx

Eileen Emerson
    September 20, 2019 at 5:48 am

Hugs to you and your sick child. Stop, Breathe and be.
    No apologies necessary for me, just slow down and set reasonable intentions for yourself and take time for your family too.

Leslie K.
    September 20, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Amy, Thanks for being so real and reminding us all to slow down a bit. I often wonder how you accomplish as much as you do! It’s sometimes hard to admit that we need to slow down and take a rest…..kudos to you for doing that! I am looking forward to the sew along, but knowing me, I also won’t have time to keep up with the schedule of the sew along! I purchased the pattern this week and am really looking forward to some sewing time in my future!

Pegeth
    September 21, 2019 at 2:56 pm

Not Stupid at all. Just anxious to give us all a great time. Relax it is going to be great