Days For Girls

Are you familiar with Days for Girls?  This inspiring organization provides sustainable hygiene kits for girls and women in underdeveloped countries, allowing them to attend school and work during their menstrual cycle – days that would have been lost or missed for them.

While attending the Missouri Star Quilt Company Birthday Bash last week, I got the chance to meet, sit down and sew with a bunch of delightful volunteers for the Days for Girls organization. MSQC had selected them as the volunteer charity sew-along partner for their Birthday Bash event.

I’ve always been impressed with the Days for Girls program and I highlighted their cause in my Share Goodness list of opportunities for charitable sewing.

Well, I was equally impressed with the organized and enthusiastic Days for Girls volunteers that had traveled from multiple surrounding states to set up and provide a meaningful, well-organized service opportunity over 3 days for the hundreds of Birthday Bash attendees. These women had the goal of making and assembling 1,000 kits at the three day event and as of the start of day 3, they were up to 800!

This is Paula- she is a volunteer chapter director for Days for Girls in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She was so gracious to let me put her on the spot and interview her about Days for Girls, what the volunteers do, and what the contents of the distributed kits contain and look like.

I’ve put together a little video of Paula’s interview + a little more about Days for Girls here.

If you would like to get involved the opportunities are many. And don’t worry! You don’t have to start from scratch. The Days for Girls operation is highly organized and can give you specifics of ways you can get involved.

Check out the Days for Girls website for lots of inspiration and information. If you don’t know where to start, I highly recommend finding a local chapter and starting there.

If time is not your excess resource right now, monetary donations are equally helpful.

All of the women that I met were so impressive and generous. It’s a wonderful group to be a part of, and even more important, a cause that is life-changing for the girls that it helps!

Reba Winsinger
    October 7, 2019 at 6:40 pm

Thank you for highlighting DfG! I’ve been sewing for them for 4 years now and just love the opportunity to bless women around the world. We always love adding quilters to our ranks of sewing as they know what a scant 1/4 inch seam is and have a love of beautiful fabrics.
    Love your blog!

katechiconi
    October 8, 2019 at 3:18 am

I sew for Days for Girls here in Australia. Our local chapter mainly sends kits to the Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea and Thailand. I am also making a hand-stitched hexie quilt using the small scraps left over from cutting out the shields, the perfect size! When it’s finished, we will raffle it to raise funds for fabrics and notions to supplement the donations we receive. I’m so glad you’re giving DfG such a great publicity boost!

Lorraine Barnett
    October 8, 2019 at 8:01 am

Oh, Amy, this makes me so happy to see! I would have LOVED to be there! I sew for Days for Girls and this year was able to help send about 150 kits to my own spiritual sisters in Africa and the Philippines, to congregations there. The kits are happy and vibrant and I know that they make many girls so much more confident! Thank you for highlighting this. I’d love to be part of the sew-along next year. I appreciate your heart for others. You focus on the things that are important in life.

Anna Loeffler
    October 8, 2019 at 9:21 am

Thank you so much for putting this out there. I am the Chapter Lead in Medford, OR and I wanted to say thank you. I love Days for Girls and our Chapter. We need all the help we can to get the word out. You did a beautiful job of that.

farmhousequiltsblog
    October 8, 2019 at 9:37 am

Thanks for pointing out this organization! I love finding out about sew-alongs like this. Together we can do so much!

Darci
    October 9, 2019 at 11:50 am

amy do you have any contacts that are making rice bags for cancer patients? i have made some in the past and mailed them empty to be filled locallly. I would love to make more- i have too much fabric!

Amy
      October 9, 2019 at 1:49 pm

That sounds like such a great project. I hadn’t heard of that one specifically before! So, unfortunately, I’m no help on more info there. But I hope you find it!

Deanne Barnes
    October 11, 2019 at 3:06 am

I too sew for Days For Girls here in Australia. It brings me such joy, thank you for putting this out there.

Amy
      October 11, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Thats awesome, Deanne! Thanks for all YOU are doing!