Economy Blocks with Pemberley

Back in November, I got this adorable bundle of the Pemberley fabric collection from Riley Blake Designs. I had the perfect plan for what to do with it – scrappy economy blocks and started prepping them right away. I  was SO anxious to get going on this quilt. Then the great finger tragedy of 2019 occured and all sewing was effectively put on hold for 8 weeks. Sad times.

But good news! It’s back on the table. This collection is designed by Rachel of Citrus and Mint, based off the Jane Austen book, Pride and Prejudice, and it just couldn’t be any sweeter. I love the color palette to start with, but it’s Rachel’s detailed illustrations that put it over the top. Including houses great and small, letters, and Regency-era ball dancers.

You can find Pemberley fabric here, and here.

I’ve taken longer than I anticipated, but it finally feels good to be back in the saddle and sewing again. Here’s the current state of my work table.

And finger update: it looks like a finger again, which is comforting (and less revolting). It’s still pretty tender, and partially numb/part tingly (those poor nerves) and the skin is fragile, but there is skin so hallelujah. I’m told it will probably take a while to be continue recovering – if it ever fully does – but I’m just grateful it’s come this far.

And here’s the block progress so far. I’m liking where this is going…

You can find my Economy (also sometimes known as Square in a Square) Block tutorial here.

And what to hear something cosmically crazy: I’m not the only one who saw this collection and thought, “Economy blocks!”. Kelly of MyStitchingJournal had the exact same idea. You can see her quilt here. It must be true what they say about great minds thinking alike…

Here’s a little fussy cut Pemberley great house. I think I have an affinity for this collection because I went to Pemberley once. Okay, it wasn’t really Pemberley and Mr Darcy wasn’t there, but it was the house that played Pemberley on TV. You know, the one where Colin Firth jumps in the lake…

Heart and Valentine’s Quilt Ideas

Over 25 Quit and Sewing Heart Projects and Ideas

Speaking of swoony-romanticism , if you’re in the mood to sew for Valentine’s Day, I compiled a great list of fun Valentines-Quilty inspiration for you here. There are so many fun Valentine’s themed projects out there – big and small. Happy Sewing.

Gwyn
    January 16, 2020 at 5:49 pm

Oh, so good to hear that your ‘revolting finger tragedy’ is getting better. Skin and tingling – huzzah!! I also received a clean bill of health after cancer in the latter part of the year. I used some of my recovery time to focus on organizing my sewing area and stash. DH was happy with that until my mom bought me fabric for Christmas! I saw this Pemberly fabric online recently and couldn’t decide whether I liked it or not. The fabric is very cute, but my imagery of Austen, et al is not. That being said, I love the economy block. This fabric is perfect for it, especially fussy cutting the houses. Be well!!

Amy
      January 17, 2020 at 1:57 pm

OH boy – extra huzzah’s for you! Congrats on the clean bill of health!!

Rhonda Caudill
      January 18, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Dear Amy, I too received a devastating injury to my thumb 2 years ago. After surgery I was told it would probably not ever be “normal.” I confess it isn’t as it was before, and never will be, but life is good. I am able to perform surgery, my true love and my career, I am still able to piece and machine quilt, not as long at a time surely. I don’t have full feeling but luckily it is in a non-critical area.Whatever the end result you will adapt and overcome as well. Your positive attitude that shows in all your posts and quilts will be your strength. All will be well in the end. Sincerely, Rhonda

Kerry
    January 17, 2020 at 2:10 am

Cute blocks – and the house centred is super, such a fun quilt. Happy days that your finger is coming back to life – Egor would be so happy for you! 😉 A friend of mine had to have her finger stitched back on due to a riding incident, but she has no feeling in it at all, so tingling and partial numb for you is great news – I get Raynauds so I get similar sensations
    and white tips of fingers (weirdly random – sometimes the same finger, sometimes more than one, sometimes a finger on both hands) occasionally just by touching cold things like the steering wheel of my car! Now why did you mention Mr Darcy in the water . . . noooooo . . . cold shower awaits!!! LOL!

Amy
      January 17, 2020 at 1:55 pm

Oh boy – you know about finger tip issues! Thanks for the kind sentiments and solidarity. xo

Liz
    January 18, 2020 at 12:21 am

Have you tried using the Studio 180 Design Square 2 to make these blocks? It’s a life changer; you have guaranteed quarter inch seams at every point, and I kept the point of every square too!

Amy
      January 18, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Sounds like I need to look into that!!

Margo
    January 18, 2020 at 12:14 pm

I love Pride and Prejudice! Your blocks are very cute and lovely on the quilt.

Robby H.
    January 18, 2020 at 3:00 pm

So glad to hear your finger is healing up enough to be put to important uses like sewing. I did cringe when I read of your accident. Here’s to continued recovery! (The blocks are nice too, but pale in the importance of finger usage.)

Carol Wingo
    January 18, 2020 at 4:39 pm

So good to hear your finger is healing, what a bummer than had to be. I have been making half square triangles this after. I love this fabric and tutorial.

Joanne
    January 19, 2020 at 5:10 am

Love your square in square quilt and easy tutorial…I can’t wait to start one. Happy to hear you are back in your sewing mojo and I hope your finger continues to recover to the fullest extent so it will not limit you in years to come. Thank you for your wonderful posts and creative ideas.

Camille
    January 19, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Healing is good! Keep it up! Sometimes nerves can heal fairly well so keep a positive outlook.
    I enjoy your blog so much and do follow the links… I definitely think the links add to your blog although I know they are more work for you. Kelly of My Stitching journal made larger blocks so the quilt came together quickly but your smaller blocks have a lot of charm that the larger blocks lack. Tell me, were you able to resist creating a quilt that mimicked the beautiful path by the fountain at “Pemberly”? If you recreated it in fabric, do you have a link to that fabric masterpiece?