So much for my hope for 2020 to be boring. We are not off to a boring start. Thankfully, Sewing has been my sanity saver.

My 13-year-old has missed the last 3 weeks of school with some mysterious illness. :/ I’m not going to lie – it’s been pretty stressful. I’ve found myself swinging back and forth between hoping for the best and fearing for the worst. Gratefully, it’s not the worst. But it is still not fun. More on that below.

While I feel pretty behind on most things (not to mention avoiding mentally taxing stuff like email, social media, and other “business” stuff…), I have been making some time to sew. It’s fed my soul this week to escape for a few minutes at a time to my sewing room and work on this project. (And listen to Pride and Prejudice on Audible. I started craving P&P while working on the Pemberley quilt a few weeks ago.)

This week I worked on another baby gift. (Because A) Short attention span and B) baby quilts for the win.) Another smaller, simpler project to play with a new fabric, color, and design combination. I decided to do something really neutral this time and I’m digging the subtle design and palette.

This whole quilt, backing included, came from my stash. Nice. My goal is to bust more stash this year. For this one I pulled out my stack of light background, “low volume” prints and a unifying light, warm gray.

I used this gray microdot for the Irish Chain blocks and this is literally all that was left over after piecing the blocks. *high five*  Talk about cutting it close! Next week (assuming we start getting back to normal) I’ll put together a little tutorial + fabric requirements to make this quilt.  It’s a classic design and simple to strip-piece for a fast project.

Now I’m deciding what to bind it with. I was going to keep it really neutral, but this afternoon I’m learning toward a warm, pale pink print… we’ll see how this turns out.

In the meantime (and more importantly) I think we’re starting to make progress on a diagnosis for my boy. We’re just trying to pinpoint the cause (probably something autoimmune – he’s had some chronic issues for a few years now) so that we can help him start feeling like a 13-year-old should feel.

I love my Baby Lock Crescendo sewing machine

In the midst of multiple doctor visits, lab draws, back and forth to the school to try and take a test when possible or pick up homework, life has thrown us pretty far out of our routines and I miss them.

As proof of my discombobulation, when I walked in to Walmart to pick up a prescription on Thursday morning and seeing flowers and hearts everywhere I thought, “Oh shoot! Is it Valentine’s Day?!” Fortunately I double checked the date and still had time to pick up some candy and cards so that it kind of looked like I remembered to prepare for the holiday.

In addition to the extra run around, I’ve also had a lot more time just hanging out with a 13-year-old boy at home too. We’ve watched multiple Harry Potter movies and Office reruns, and I’ve learned how to play Overcooked on the Xbox (which it turns out is really fun. Until now, my video game skills have been pretty nonexistent since my Tetris days 25 years ago.) I feel lucky that my life is flexible enough right now that I can put a lot on hold and just be with my kid.

And thankful for a little sanity saver sewing time to keep me mentally sound through the ups and downs. Thank you, Sewing.

Susan
    February 14, 2020 at 6:24 pm

I’m with you, 2020 has been sooooo unkind. I lost my brother 10 days after a procedure that was supposed to prolong his life. He died 4 days before his 63 rd birthday. I spent lots of time cutting and pressing in my room. It really was good therapy. There’s lots more fabric so I guess that I’m set for a while.
    I wish you and your son well. I’ve been in your shoes and it’s soo scary. I’m glad you have your sewing, it helps. Hugs and prayers to your family!

Rosemaryflower
      February 15, 2020 at 7:24 am

I am so sorry, Susan. I will keep you in my prayers. Loss of a sibling is very painful, very heart breakiing

Gail O’Toole
    February 14, 2020 at 6:42 pm

WOW! I’m having flashbacks from March 2018, when my, then 13 year old daughter, missed four weeks of school and was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. I truly feel your pain, anguish and anxiety. Good luck with everything and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you will all get back to a somewhat normal routine. 🤞🏻

Linda NF
    February 14, 2020 at 6:43 pm

It’s so important to have an outlet for the stressors in life. Sewing is one of mine as well. I hope all goes well with your kiddo! It is fortunate indeed that you can take this time for him. Sending healing thoughts for your family!

Robby H.
    February 14, 2020 at 7:02 pm

I’m so sorry you and your family are dealing with a mystery illness. I went through a prolonged illness my senior year and may parents had to leave me at home and be satisfied with calling to check on me since they were both teachers. I’m glad you can be with your son and send prayers for a good diagnosis so treatment can be effective.

PS Really liking your low contrast project there.

Karen Seitz
    February 14, 2020 at 7:04 pm

I did a lot of repetitive sewing (400+ HSTs using Cake Mix 4) after the mass shooting here in Dayton. I know it helped me process the tragedy. I ended up hand quilting that quilt which was the first time I’ve hand quilted, and the entire, repetitive process was soul saving. I hope things get better for your son and family, and I’m glad you have sewing in your life!

Jocelyn
    February 14, 2020 at 9:57 pm

So sorry to hear of the illness. I hope they can come up with a solution soon.

Shannon
    February 15, 2020 at 5:40 am

Oh my goodness, how stressful. I’m so sorry to hear that your son hasn’t been feeling well. Especially tough when it’s unclear what the cause is. It sounds like you’re getting closer to figuring it all out and getting him back on track to feeling healthy again. I can attest to how comforting sewing can be when times are tough. Amazing how soothing for the soul stitching can be. Enjoy the time together 🙂

carlabataran0974
    February 15, 2020 at 5:50 am

May the Lord God surround you, your son and entire family with His almighty grace, love and healing. Lord, protect this child, shower the parents with a sense of peace that only comes from you. Wrap Your arms around all so that they know that it is You Lord. Give the doctor and all caretakers an extra portion of wisdom as this child is being cared for. In your Mighty name, put a hedge of protection around him. Let nothing touch him that is not from you. And May the peace that passes all understanding guard the heart and minds of this child, his parents, siblings, grandparent and all others who love him. I ask in your mighty name. Amen

Lana Stewart
    February 15, 2020 at 5:50 am

Amy, I’m lifting you and your son up in prayer and asking God to surround you both with His comfort, peace, and guidance. In difficult times I find that counting my blessings and spending time piecing quilts helps me! Keep us updated, please. Hugs from Texas! ❤️

Hilary at Aurifil
    February 15, 2020 at 6:07 am

The quilt is beautiful and prayers that you find some answers with your sons illness soon. ❤

Julie Vogel
    February 15, 2020 at 6:23 am

Interesting how, in the midst of stress, you created that lovely, peaceful quilt. I felt calmed just looking at it. Sewing is such therapy!
    Prayers for your son and you.

Adrienne
    February 15, 2020 at 6:52 am

Amy, so sorry for your difficulties right now. It’s hard. Sewing can be such a life-saver. I find that to be true for myself, too. I’m glad you have that outlet for yourself. Best of luck.

Shirley A
    February 15, 2020 at 7:01 am

So Sorry to hear of your son’s illness. It is always so scary when someone you love is ill, Hugs and Prayers for you and your family.

Janet Taber
    February 15, 2020 at 7:14 am

I’m sorry to hear about your child, but I’m thankful you are able to do all the mom things you need to do — and so agree that sewing is a sanity saver! It is that for me, as well, as I handle a challenging situation with my mother who has Alzheimer’s. Sewing truly is my lifesaver. Keep on keeping on, and soon the hard part will just be a memory.

Rhoda
    February 15, 2020 at 7:17 am

You are so sweet to share, Amy. Hope that your child will be on the road to recovery soon and feeling better. Sewing always helps me in stressful times. Take care. Love the grey and white quilt; very calming.

Christine Sherman
    February 15, 2020 at 7:17 am

So sorry for your boys troubles. Unknown illness is tough! Prayers for you all Amy.

Rosemaryflower
    February 15, 2020 at 7:19 am

Susan, I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. I know the heartbreak. I will keep you in my prayers. You never really get over the loss of loved ones

Rosemaryflower
    February 15, 2020 at 7:23 am

sewing is good therapy. I hope your sweet kiddo gets completely well very soon.
    I love the grey quilt, very peaceful, Amy.
    I will keep all of you in my prayers. I know the stress and the feelings.
    I am still taking good care of my 96 year old daddy and he is so adorable and also have all of these grand babies now!!

Bridget Kevin-Myers
    February 15, 2020 at 7:28 am

Praying for a diagnosis and treatment!

Lea
    February 15, 2020 at 8:06 am

Amy, your son, you and your family are in my prayers. It’s hard when someone we love is hurting. It’s nice that you two have some quality time together.

That quilt is going to be so pretty. I love the soft pink. Pink binding will look perfect.

Brenda Peck
    February 15, 2020 at 8:17 am

Good luck with your son! I really like that low volume quilt and using color on the binding. I’ve been thinking about a baby
    quilt for my niece and may try that!

Gwyn
    February 15, 2020 at 2:47 pm

I love your stash busting baby quilt. Sometimes quiet is what you need. Enjoy your bonding time while the experts try to figure things out. I just wish some people would understand that the slower pace is better. Continue to get time to yourself with your Mr. Darcy therapy, as long as your healing finger permits! 🙂

Mattie
    February 15, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Praying for your son recovery, sewing is my therapy too. Blessings and good thoughts to you and your family.

Gayle Shumaker
    February 15, 2020 at 4:55 pm

I hope your son is feeling better soon. I understand how frustrating diagnosis and treatment can be with autoimmune diseases. I’ve been there and done that and can throw in a clotting disorder and a bleeding disorder just to make it more interesting. One word of advice, teach your son strategy’s for dealing with stress. If he can learn this now he will be healthier as he gets older.

Sarah Craig
    February 15, 2020 at 5:17 pm

I’m so sorry to hear you’re having a stressful start to the year – it’s always scary when our kids are sick, isn’t it? That doesn’t even change when they get older. Prayers for your sanity and your son’s health. Love the baby quilt – beautiful colors and you’re right, baby quilts are the best for a quick and satisfying finish!

Carol wingo
    February 15, 2020 at 5:20 pm

So sorry for your son’s illness, praying that they find a diagnosis and can treat him so that he is feeling better soon. Your neutral quilt is so beautiful.

freshairquilting
    February 15, 2020 at 5:24 pm

I hope your son feels better soon. I am sure he finds great comfort in your calm presence. Sewing has carried me through some trials, that’s for sure! English paper piecing is nice when there are waiting rooms involved. It’s small and can be worked on here and there.

catholicquilts1
    February 15, 2020 at 5:59 pm

Amy, I hope your son is better soon. My (47 year old) son had a stroke a three years ago. Sewing scraps into blocks was how I held on to my sanity. Just laying one piece on another and sending it through the machine allowed my inner screaming to quieten. It is a blessing you’ve been able to spend more time with your son.

Treva
    February 15, 2020 at 6:01 pm

My prayers for your son and family, as well as for the medical team who is treating him. Yes, sewing can be a great stress reliever.

DEBI JIMENEZ
    February 15, 2020 at 6:34 pm

Amy, sounds like 2020 is going to be a wild ride for everyone. With everything that is happening at home, in the news and around the world, everyone is going to need a bit of needle and thread therapy.
    Look at it this way :

Use a sharp blade in your rotary cutter
    to slice the negative thoughts, memories
    and painful worries away.
    Use your applique scissors to trim those little things that try to nudge you to make them bigger problems.
    Use your sewing skills and machine to stitch up something that is happy. Remember “HAPPY” is your definition. What makes you happy? Stitch it!
    Finally, if you just cannot get the answers you need, or fine a working solution right now, put a pin in it. Or stick it on your design wall. Play with it later. Just when you think there is no answer, you will see exactly what you need.
    Turn it all over and the answers will come, till then stick a pin in it.
    Best wishes to you your son and family.

Charlie
    February 15, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Any suggestions on how to best salvage a project that someone passes onto you? Lol. I have only recently started quilting again so my daughter gave me the pieces of a baby quilt and burp cloths she had started. It came from a box which has been in her garage for five years. I was considering using her larger portion as a center section. Just not sure of the best approach. Help?

Robin Greer
    February 15, 2020 at 8:45 pm

Sending healing thoughts and love from the other side of the country, Amy. Time with our children is precious indeed and I wish your son well.

Jane Hawthorne
      February 15, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Praying for better health ahead for your son and great sewing days ahead for you, Amy!

June K Kreis
    February 15, 2020 at 8:57 pm

You are both in my prayers for strength to heal and strength to handle all that you are going through. Tons of hugs your way.

Janet
    February 15, 2020 at 11:15 pm

Amy, I’m praying for you and your son that all is well soon. Keep the faith, and keep sewing!

Audrey Sausman
    February 16, 2020 at 6:29 am

Dear Amy! Saying a prayer for your son this Sunday morning! And, also prayers for you for strength during a difficult time. During difficult times dealing with unsolved, unknown medical issues can be very stressful. Keeping a journal with quick notes on symptoms and medical visits will help organize your thoughts and worries. It helped me! Thanks for keeping up with your Blog. Love it! ❤️❤️

Kelly
    February 16, 2020 at 4:48 pm

Sending you and your family prayers for a recovery. The quilt is lovely and cannot wait to see the pink binding!
    And if I may suggest – read the book medical medium by Anthony Williams. I am 3 years in remission from Rheumatoid arthritis. It will teach you about autoimmune disease. Book saved my life
    Blessings

Amy
      February 18, 2020 at 12:56 pm

That is so great to hear! I read Anthony Williams’s book Thyroid Healing last summer and it has made a huge difference for me. It’s been great motivation to stick to that diet. I’m feeling a little daunted by the thought of getting my 13-year-old to do it, but I know it will make a difference for him too, so that’s motivation. Thanks for sharing, Kelly. I’m so glad to hear it’s made a difference for you!

Nan
    February 20, 2020 at 6:55 am

I have two teenagers with lots of medical appointments and having a hand sewing project for the waiting room has made a world of difference in my life. Love to you and your family.

Annye
    February 25, 2020 at 9:00 am

Amy, may your son, your family, you and all the medical caretakers be surrounded with grace and prayer. Being a mom is your first job; the blog can wait, the dishes can wait, and all the rest of the stuff can be put on the back burner. Your community is upholding all of you.

Christine
    February 28, 2020 at 4:42 am

Best wishes for your son to be healthy again. Please get him tested for Lyme Disease. Several times, by several labs as the tests can sometimes produce varying results.

Amy
      February 28, 2020 at 12:16 pm

Thank you, Christine. Yes, we are with a doctor that actively tests and treats Lyme.

Joan Sheppard
    March 18, 2020 at 1:46 pm

Went to the grocery store today and my total was $20.20. Of course that did not include toilet paper or eggs or milk. But I had to smile. Yep I’m with you 2020 has to have some inner meaning in the cosmos like #13. Wishing you strength and extra hours in the day. Thanks for the reminder to tuck an embroidery project in the glove box for those waiting times. If it gets done I’m golden, it not – so what. Love hearing from you.

Amy
      March 19, 2020 at 8:57 am

Hah! That is a great little cosmic reminder. Thanks, Joan!

Linda Phillips
    March 25, 2020 at 10:06 am

Prayers ascending!! Love your quilt!! Sewing is awesome!!!

Amy