Scrap Happy Quilt in Love Patchwork and Quilting

Today I received a fun distraction in the mail: the latest issue of Love Patchwork and Quilting and guess who has a fun scrap happy quilt and mini quilt/pillow featured inside?! This girl!

That’s my rainbow, scrappy half-square triangle quilt on the front! This mini quilt is a bonus quilt for a much bigger quilt.

Scrap Happy Quilt In Love Patchwork and Quilting Magazine

Organize and Use your fabric scraps in this scrap happy design by Amy Smart for Love Patchwork and Quilting Magazine

image courtesy of Love Patchwork and Quiling

This quilt is called Scrap Happy and it’s perfect for busting through all of your scraps – that’s all I used to make this one. There are some scraps in this quilt that I’ve had for years, saving for just the right project. Well here it is.

Rainbow Scrap quilt by Amy Smart - pattern

I worked on this quilt last fall and had to keep it under wraps until the magazine release this month. It was a super fun one for playing with shades and colors and textures. It was also a lot of fun to use scraps from my own fabric collections. πŸ™‚

image courtesy of Love Patchwork and Quilting Magazine

And it’s a huge quilt! This one measures 74″ x 96″ – which could easily by a twin size quilt.

Use fabric scraps - spectrum quilt by Amy Smart

Scrap Happy spectrum quilt by Amy Smart

The quilting on this was done by Melissa of Sew Shabby Quilting. We tried the Baptist Diamond Curved pattern – a modern variation on a traditional Baptist Fan design.

Scrap Happy Quilt pattern by Amy Smart in Love Patchwork and Quilting

You can find the pattern for this quilt on page 17 of Love Patchwork and Quilting Issue 85 (available here and here and in JoAnn’s stores).

Bonuns mini quilt pattern by Amy Smart

Also included in this issue, is this little 15″ x 15″ mini quilt (that also works as a cushion cover) made from leftovers of the quilt blocks.

Half Square triangle scrap mini quilt by Amy Smart Scrap Organization Ideas

Scrap Happy Quilt by Amy Smart for Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine

image courtesy of Love Patchwork and Quilting

Years ago I started sorting and storing my fabric scraps by color. That made it so easy to pull together the monochromatic blocks for this scrap happy quilt. You can read more about how I sort my fabric scraps + other ideas for storing and using fabric scraps here.

Issue 85 of Love Patchwork and Quilting is available now and it’s full of lots of other scrap happy quilts and projects. I’m a big fan of Love Patchwork and Quilting – it’s always chock full of inspiring modern quilting ideas. You can find subscriptions to LPQ here. Or you can find copies of Issue 85 on newstands that stock LPQ now (JoAnn’s does) or order copies online from the Fat Quarter Shop or Buy Subscriptions (in the UK.)*

*these are affiliate links

Jocelyn
    March 27, 2020 at 5:19 pm

So pretty. Love the riot of colors!

The Joyful Quilter
    March 27, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Congratulations on your most recent publication. It’s a fantastic quilt and SEW deserves to be in print!!

Kay
    March 28, 2020 at 1:45 am

Fabulous, this is a very happy looking quilt. x

springleafstudios
    March 28, 2020 at 9:28 am

Love the riot of color in this quilt. Something we need more of these days.

Kristi
    March 28, 2020 at 10:07 am

Congratulations, Amy! I love rainbow quilts and have always wanted to make one. I think this will definitely be on my to-do list.

Angela Nash
    March 28, 2020 at 12:16 pm

Oh my gosh! So awesome! I just ordered a subscription a couple weeks ago BECAUSE of that cute triangle quilt. It was so happy! I was a tad bummed when I realized mine won’t start with this issue. I should have known one of my quilts friends was the creator of those two. Love both your projects.

Robin Greer
    March 28, 2020 at 6:41 pm

Congratulations, Amy on being a “Cover Girl!” We could all use a bright spot these days, eh? Your scrap buster quilt is just lovely!! It gives me hope for my ever growing scrap pile becoming a cohesive project. hmmmm!

Mabel
    March 29, 2020 at 4:20 am

Congratulations Amy. It’s beautiful cover πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŽ‰πŸ€—πŸ’•

Robby H.
    March 29, 2020 at 5:43 am

Congratulations! I love how you transition the colors. I keep thinking I’ll buy a copy of this magazine sometime to see hat everyone loves about it. Looks like now is the time to do that.

Julie J Vogel
    March 30, 2020 at 7:00 am

Wow! Two great projects in publication! Congratulations, Amy! Great work and creativity…as usual!

Jean Mulrine De Mange
    August 10, 2020 at 12:38 pm

The link to order the magazine issue 85 is not working? Where else can we order it?

Amy
      August 10, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Unfortunately, they are probably sold out at this point. You could do a google search, just in case? Good news though – I will have the Scrap Happy pattern available for purchase in September!