Flannel Plaid Patchwork Quilt

Well, it’s that time of year. Leaves and temperatures are falling and it’s time to make another cozy flannel plaid patchwork quilt.  I’ve made a bunch of these and I never get sick of them! Plus they’re super easy and beginner-friendly.

This is my third iteration of this quilt. (You can see the original here.) I’ve also made a similar blue and gray version.  I love how the collection of different plaids work beautifully in simple patchwork squares.

This quilt is a another gift for an old friend. I’ve given away all of the flannel quilts I’ve made. But this time as I worked, I cut enough patchwork squares to make one to keep as well. I’ll sew ours together sometime this winter because it’s just the perfect winter quilt – lots of lush flannels and a heavier-weight quilt overall, perfect for snuggling.

How to Make a Flannel Patchwork Plaid Quilt

For this quilt I cut 80 squares 8 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ – because that was the most efficient use of fabric from a 1/4 or 1/2 yard piece. If you cut carefully you can get 5 squares from an 8 1/2″ x 43″ strip. (If your width of fabric is slightly smaller or you’re using pre-shrunk fabric, you can always cut 5 squares 8″ x 8″ from a 1/4 yard for a very similar look.)

Fabric requirements:

• Patchwork: 20 quarter yards (not Fat Quarters) or 10 half yards (You can cut 5 squares per 1/4 yard).

• Backing: 4 yards

• Binding: 5/8 yards

I laid out this quilt 8 squares across by 10 squares down – for a 64 1/2″ x 80″ throw-quilt. 4 yards of fabric will work just right for the backing.

Here is a simple beginning quilting tutorial for sewing patchwork squares together. The same method applies for the larger size squares.

For this quilt I used a lightweight cotton/poly blend batting like Hobbs Warm and Natural because I didn’t want the quilt to be too heavy. (The woven flannel on the back already adds some weight.) My quilt was quilted in a stipple pattern by my friend Monica Steelman.

Most of the plaid flannels I’ve used in these quilts are from the Plaiditudes collection from Joann Fabrics, which are only available this time of year (fall). I LOVE the weight and feel of these woven brushed-cotton plaids. They’re thick and super soft and they wash really nicely. Plus I’ve never had an issue with colors bleeding.

I typically don’t prewash my fabric before sewing, but wash the quilt as a whole after it’s pieced because I love the way it slightly shrinks and gives the quilt a softer, ‘antique’ feel.

As you can see, we got some snow this week! Last week was warm, in the 70’s and I soaked up the warm as much as I could. (And raked my fair share of leaves…) By Sunday the temperatures dropped 40 degrees and a snowstorm blew through. To be honest, I was really dreading the weather change – especially this year when being outside has been the safest way to visit and connect with friends or extended family. I was a little stressed about having to retreat indoors again for months.

But, surprisingly, I’m not minding slowing down and being cozy. More time for sewing too, right?

And yesterday I took my first snow hike of the season. And I was in heaven. For some reason I have fallen in love with snow hiking over the past few years.

I think I love it so much because there are fewer people and the snow muffles sounds. It’s so quiet and clean and serene.

It’s the my favorite kind of mental health therapy.

(And this from the kid who cried the whole way home from skiing when I was little because I hated when my hands got cold.)

I guess I’ve grown up a little. 😉 And I’m better at choosing and wearing my winter gear.

So get ready for snuggle season. Because, ready or not, it’s here!

PS Last week I shared the heartwarming story of the Honduran women who are a part of One Common Thread Quilts. Just since that time many of these women have lost everything due to the destruction of Hurricane Eta in the Caribbean. If you have a minute or a small amount to spare, you can read their story here.

Vickie Kuli
    November 11, 2020 at 4:18 am

I have a small quilt my Mum made when I was little. It is from small 3 inch squares of flannel cut from my Dad’s work shirts. We kids were permitted to cuddle this quilt when we were sick. (A corner had been chewed by one of the other kids at one time, and thus our limited time allowed with the quilt.) It is my most prized possession.

Amy
      November 11, 2020 at 3:15 pm

Oh wow! That sounds like a treasure for sure!

Carmen Montmarquet
    November 11, 2020 at 6:30 am

I love how your plaid flannel quilt turned out, just awesome! Definitely one I would like to make! Thanks for sharing!!!

ChristieB
    November 11, 2020 at 6:40 am

Love your flannel quilt! Looks so warm and comfy! Thanks for sharing – gives me idea for Christmas presents! HUGS… and stitches

Rosemary B
    November 11, 2020 at 7:06 am

Amy, you are so inspiring. I have a lot of plaid fabrics.

Susan Salo
    November 11, 2020 at 7:56 am

I’m glad to see this quilt made up. I have a layer cake of flannels and was concerned they wouldn’t look good together, but yours sure do!

Amy
      November 11, 2020 at 3:15 pm

Isn’t it fun how a mish-mash of plaids just works?!

marykmalon1
    November 11, 2020 at 8:08 am

Thanks for posting an easy quilt to whip up. I have tons of flannel on hand. I love love love your snow pic. Best, Mary

Amy
      November 11, 2020 at 3:14 pm

THanks, Mary!

Karen
    November 11, 2020 at 8:37 am

I love the plaid quilt. Did you preshrink the flannel?Did you use one of the same fabrics on the back? What kind of batting? Thanks – I think I need to go buy flannel 🙂

Amy
      November 11, 2020 at 3:18 pm

Good question! I typically don’t prewash my flannels before I make a quilt. I like the soft, ‘antiqued’ look that happens after washing the quilt wish the little bit of shrinkage that happens. But that’s a personal preference. Also, if some of the flannels are already prewashed – then I could consider prewashing the rest just so that it all shrinks at the same rate after it’s made.

I used a Cotton/Poly blend batting on the thinner side (like Hobbs Warm and Natural) because I didn’t want the quilt to be too heavy. I did use one of the Joann’s Plaiditudes plaids on the back. 🙂 It’s super soft.

Emily S.
    November 11, 2020 at 11:34 am

I have wanted to make one of these flannel quilts for so long! I think this is the time!

The Joyful Quilter
    November 11, 2020 at 12:15 pm

SEW cozy… LOVE it!!!

Linda M. Colby
    November 11, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Hi I would like to know can you or should you prewash your flannel before you cut and sew?

Amy
      November 11, 2020 at 3:13 pm

Really good question – I will update the post with this information. I typically don’t prewash my flannels before I make a quilt. I like the soft, ‘antiqued’ look that happens after washing the quilt wish the little bit of shrinkage that happens. But that’s a personal preference. Also, if some of the flannels are already prewashed – then I could consider prewashing the rest just so that it all shrinks at the same rate after it’s made.

Christine Sherman
    November 11, 2020 at 6:57 pm

Thanks for the great idea! I think everyone rushed to the JoAnn site because I can’t get my cart to load 🙂
    I hope you all are doing ok. I think of your son often and pray he’s getting along better!

ALIE Hersh
    November 12, 2020 at 10:59 am

This is a great look and gift. Robert a KAUFMAN Fabrics makes a double brushed plaid flannel called Mammouth w/ blender Shetland. And if you wanted a heavier flannel Tahoe… thank you for sharing!

Amy
      November 14, 2020 at 11:03 am

I’ve seen those! They look gorgeous too!

Doreen Tavares
    November 14, 2020 at 9:38 am

Thnk u so much for sharing this w/us! I have 2 packs of Woolies 10” squares that u have inspired me to use for this simple flannel quilt. It looks like u may have done some FMQ – “meandering “, perhaps? Your quilt looks sooo warm & cozy!

Julie
    November 14, 2020 at 6:16 pm

Your suggested batting is spot on! I made a flannel quilt a few years ago and used all cotton batting, it’s lovely but not very cuddly. Last year, inspired by your post, I made another flannel with big squares. This time I left out the batting entirely so it’s a grown up version of a baby’s receiving blanket. It’s just right for an early autumn chilly evening. This year’s flannel will have a poly cotton blend inside. We’ll have the ‘three bears’ of flannel at hand, ready for every eventuality.

Rebecca
    November 15, 2020 at 8:10 am

Hi Amy!
    I am a new quilter, currently finishing up my second patchwork baby quilt of yours. Well, finishing up the quilt TOP, that is. Attempting to make the tops into an actual quilt will come after I study your quilting tutorials and a Pat Sloan book on quilting! 😉 I have a question about working with flannel: would I use the same needle, thread, and stitch length that I’ve been using for the patchwork baby quilt, or would I make some changes? I think I may have missed the boat on the Plaiditude flannel at my local Jo Ann’s, but I would really like to attempt this project next. Thank you–I love your blog and have found it SO HELPFUL as I’ve learned how to quilt during COVID.

Amy
      November 16, 2020 at 1:51 pm

Hooray! I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed learning to quilt. It’s good therapy. To be honest, I personally just use the same needle/thread/stitch length for almost all of my piecing. So I’m not super helpful on that, but there’s probably some good advice out there.

Robyn
    November 15, 2020 at 10:24 am

Thanks, Amy, another wonderful quilt and perfect for right now. Would 10” precuts work or is it better to do smaller squares? I get much inspiration from you.♥️

Amy
      November 16, 2020 at 1:48 pm

10″ precuts would work great! Any size patchwork squares looks good. (And would be faster to sew because of the bigger size blocks.)

Rebecca
    November 15, 2020 at 5:15 pm

Doreen, thank you for your comment! I am still new to quilting and nervous about cutting fabric, so I looked for some Woolies 10″ precuts and settled on the “desert sunset” collection. I’ll have much better luck cutting those down to 8.5 inches than attempting to cut squares from 1/4 or 1/2 yard sections! 🙂