Meet Notting Hill – My Next Fabric Collection

I’m thrilled to introduce my upcoming fabric collection for Riley Blake Designs, and a little bit of the background and inspiration behind this collection. Meet Notting Hill, arriving in shops February 2021.

Notting Hill fabric designed by Amy Smart for Riley Blake Designs

During my years as a college student I had the opportunity to live in London for a semester abroad. It was one of my favorite experiences of my life and I fell devotedly in love with the city of London. Since then I’ve lived in and visited England multiple times and I’ve become a proud Anglophile.

My inspiration for this collection was my love of England, and the city of London in particular.

During my time in London, I lived in a beautiful Edwardian row house in Palace Court, part of the Notting Hill neighborhood.

I’m so excited to introduce this collection inspired by the sites, neighborhoods, monuments and parks in this city that I love.

Notting Hill fabric by Amy Smart - for Riley Blake Designs

As part of the collection I’ve included classic English cabbage roses, dots, tartans, mini Union Jack flags, and small ginghams just in time for your spring sewing. These prints will be available in the following colorways:

London Illustration by Laura Miller Studios

One of my favorite prints in the new collection was inspired by this whimsical illustration of the city by my sister, Laura Miller who also lived on Palace Court for a summer.

We took her illustrations, making smaller vignettes of favorite landmarks and monuments, – including our house on Palace Court – as well as busses, taxi’s and post boxes, to create a fun London-themed toile available in classic blue, tone-on-tone pink, and yellow.

I’m also pretty smitten with those mini Union Jack flags tossed with some cheerful dots. This print is available in white, pink, and aqua.

Banner Panels!

Also part of this collection: two coordinating Banner Panels, one in blues and greens, and one in pinks, and yellow. I don’t know if there’s anything more British than traditional flag bunting. Especially with pre-printed Union Jacks on some of them. (Have you seen the Great British Baking Show? ❤)  With each panel you can make a large and a mini banner.

And finally, in connection with this release, there will be two brand new quilt patterns:

Regent Street – Union Jacks – available now. Named after the posh boulevard off Piccadilly Circus, this pattern is Fat Quarter friendly and fun for playing with assorted fabric and color combinations. You can see a more traditional version of my Regent Street Union Jack Quilt here.

Regent Street Union Jack Quilt pattern by Amy Smart

Palace Court This design was inspired by the tile floor in the conservatory at Lyme Hall – the great house that was featured as Pemberley in the BBC (Colin Firth) edition of Pride and Prejudice. (You just can’t get more British than that!) Pattern available January 2021.

I’m also re-releasing a Notting Hill Version of my Summer Bunting pattern, available now. A beginner-friendly Fat Quarter quilt, easy to kit and perfect for showing of the cheerful prints.

Summer Bunting quilt pattern by Amy Smart featuring Notting Hill fabric collection

All patterns will be available for wholesale orders through Riley Blake Designs and Checker.

I’m so excited to release this collection inspired by the city and country that I love!

I love the big monuments and streets like the Tower Bridge, St Paul’s Cathedral, and Piccadilly Circus, vising Westminster and the iconic London Eye Ferris Wheel

as well as the little everyday events like riding in the front of the double decker bus down Oxford Street

walking, and picnicking in Kensington Gardens, strolling the streets of Notting Hill and buying Hobnobs and Cadbury sweets from our local shop on Bayswater Road.

I recently visited Palace Court again. Every time I’ve returned to London, I feel like I’ve come home.

So grab a bundle along with your brolly and a cuppa and bob’s your uncle, you’re instantly in on the charm.

Notting Hill fat quarter bundle - collection by Amy Smart for Riley Blake Designs

If you’d like a more detailed view of this new collection, including the quilts and a handful of other projects, I’ll be doing a Facebook Live video today at 1:00 MST (3 EST/12 PST) on the Riley Blake Virtual Quilt Market page! If you miss the live version, the video will still be available for weeks to come.

I’m so excited to share more projects and plans with this fabric. Keep your eyes peeled in your favorite shops for February 2021!

Cheers, my dears!

Kristi
    November 18, 2020 at 8:42 am

I love your new fabric line! I visited England (one week spent in London) with 3 friends in 2015. Your fabric and wonderful photos brought back such wonderful memories of time spent there. I’m thinking I must make a commemorative quilt using your new fabric line and new pattern. How fun!

The Joyful Quilter
    November 18, 2020 at 9:45 am

Congratulations on the release of your new fabric line and accompanying patterns. The bunting panels are a great idea, Amy! Thanks for all of the sightseeing photos. London is one of my favorite places on Earth!

jaia
    November 18, 2020 at 7:29 pm

These are perfect! I also spent a year of college studying abroad in London, about 20 years ago. I lived in South Kensington, but my internship was in Notting Hill. I loved to walk around the neighborhood. Your fabrics are just darling and remind me of one of my favorite British shops, Cath Kidston. I can’t wait to get my hands on a bundle and make something twee!

Barbara McDonald
    November 18, 2020 at 11:16 pm

Such a beautiful collection! Can’t wait to get my hands on some!

Little Quiltsong
    November 19, 2020 at 4:38 am

Beautiful new fabric line, Amy! Love the softer colours and cute, cute prints. Lovely new patterns and the Summer Bunting is perfect recoloured in your new line.

jantaber
    November 19, 2020 at 5:47 am

Amy, this is absolutely wonderful!!!!! I just love your post and your new line of fabrics and cannot wait to see and touch it in person. I, too, love England and all things English. Your photos are delightful! I’ll be dreaming of ways I can use your new line once it is available — can’t wait! Thank you, again, for being my fav!

Amy
      November 19, 2020 at 3:35 pm

Aww, thank you Jan!

dondim
    November 19, 2020 at 9:25 am

I’m in total swoon mode! My heritage is so British I should just bleed British flags. I think this is your best line ever. Count me in!

Amy
      November 19, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Thank you! xo

Rosemary Barron
    November 19, 2020 at 10:33 am

I really do like this new line and it is number one on my list to to get as soon as I can. Thanks for sharing all of the photos! Lovely and I especially like prints made from your sister’s picture. Lovely!!

Kathryn
    November 19, 2020 at 12:12 pm

Just so pretty and love your colours. I must take a look at the Riley Blake Quilt Market Page.

Jill Currie
    November 19, 2020 at 1:30 pm

I can’t wait for your new fabric range to be released. Like all your other collections, it is gorgeous. I am so glad that you love England. I love following your blog from here in Devon.

Amy
      November 19, 2020 at 3:34 pm

Thank you, Jill!! Give my love to Devon! xx

Monique
    November 19, 2020 at 1:45 pm

This collection looks so cute! Can’t wait for it to come out and make something with it!

Adriene Grzenia
    November 20, 2020 at 6:36 am

Terrific new line. I love, love, love your whimsical panel by your sister. Congratulations.

Julie Vogel
    November 20, 2020 at 8:49 am

I love this collection!!! Sometime when you don’t have anything going on, (hahahah!) a blog on how you design a fabric line would be very interesting! I always enjoy your blogs. I like your style!

Gwyn
    November 21, 2020 at 9:30 am

Congratulations!! What a great sister and inspiration for both of you!. Now I have to figure out if any of your prints will coordinate with a London panel I recently bought. What a great city. I could live there for a year and not see everything. Good memories all around. I can watch your video while I sew later…

Amy
      November 21, 2020 at 2:16 pm

Yes! I thought I’d see everything in a semester of college – not even close! Every time I go back I see something I’ve never seen before and I feel like I’ve still barely scratched the surface.

hopflower
    November 21, 2020 at 5:08 pm

A beautiful collection of new fabrics, Amy. And thanks for the inclusion of the picture of our ancient queen, Bodicea; or Boudicca as she is more currently known. I am proud to be English. 🙂

Carol Newell
    November 21, 2020 at 5:38 pm

I absolutely love your new fabric range. As an ex Londoner myself I look forward to its release next year.