Handmade Christmas Stocking Tutorials

Handmade stocking are such a sentimental treasure. There are so many options for handmade Christmas stocking tutorials too – every skill level from simple and beginner-friendly to more complicated and complex designs.

A list of 10+ Handmade Christmas Stocking Tutorials

Beginner-friendly Handmade Christmas Stocking Tutorial

Fast and beginner-friendly stocking tutorial that is still my most popular post every December.

Quilted and Patchwork Christmas Stocking Tutorials

Quilt As You Go - Stocking Tutorial. Perfect for using scraps.

Easy Quilted/Lined Stocking – super quick and perfect for using up favorite scraps!

Patchwork Stocking – also from Purl Soho

Patchwork stocking with a lined cuff from Cluck Cluck Sew

Half-square triangle Patchwork Stocking tutorial from Sherri of A Quilting Life

Patchwork Star Stocking from Love Patchwork and Quilting

Mini Patchwork Stocking from Jeni Baker

Mini stocking garland from Polkadot Chair

Classic Cuffed  stocking at Positively Splendid

Quilted Stockings with scallop edge from Tilda

Repurposed Christmas Stocking Ideas

Stockings made from VIntage Linens

Make a stocking from Vintage Linens from Jeni Baker

There’s not a pattern for this one, but I love this idea. Tami Gray Voth of Farm Down the Lane made this set of stockings from a vintage cutter quilt.

DIY Christmas Stocking tutorial using repurposed wool sweaters

Make a stocking from a repurposed old wool sweater

Handmade Felt and Wool Christmas Stocking Tutorials

Winter Flower Felt Stocking tutorial from Purl Soho

Sentimental Christmas Stockings at Our House

You may be surprised to know that my family doesn’t have quilted stockings! Our family stockings are still handmade though – a knit pattern going on for 5 generations now! You may remember when I shared them a couple of years ago along with our fireplace mantle redo.

These handmade stockings are probably my favorite Christmas decoration and were made by a beloved Aunt when we were growing up. She used the same pattern that my great-grandma had used for the previous generation – including knitting the stocking my mom still uses. And my mom has continued that tradition, making the same stocking pattern for spouses and grandchildren that joined the family. I love their connection with family traditions past.

Do you have any sentimental stocking stories in your house?

This list was originally listed in my Newsletter. (Do you subscribe to my Newsletter? I share a weekly update on my latest posts + additional content from around the web, plus occasional discounts for newsletter subscribers only. And I’ll have a special Christmas gift for newsletter subscribers in two weeks! You can sign-up here.)

I few years back, I saw this Saltbox House quilt block on the cover of the December 2017 issue of Quilt Mania magazine and had to make one. A few months after I got married, we went to visit my in-laws in Portsmouth, New Hampshire in December and I was SO smitten with the classy Christmas decor on the traditional New England houses. This white house reminded me SO much of that Christmas visit.

I had hopes to get a lot farther than this that year, but then one of my kids and I got sick, which wiped out a week of my life. No bueno. So not much got done. As a result, I only finished the block, but that’s okay – it will just follow in the tradition of most of my Christmas quilts – start it one year and finish it the next.

My windows and tree are a little wonky, but I’m okay with that. They give the place ‘personality’. (Hopefully quilting will help a little. 😉 ) Still, I’m ready to move into this cute farmhouse, personality and all.

I only made one block – I’m thinking I’ll make it the center of a simple medallion quilt. Don’t have a specific plan yet – so time will tell how (or when) this one turns out.

Maybe this is the year I’ll finally get something done with it!

Big thanks to QuiltMania for sending me the latest issues of their publications. I always love perusing them.

The December 2017 issue of Simply Modern also had some great projects. I’m totally smitten with this felt tree pattern. (I’m always a sucker for red & white at Christmas.

Click here for more Christmas projects and posts.

Libby in TN
    December 12, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Our stockings are knit, too! My MIL made sure I had one when I married her son, as well as my two boys and all their kids, too. Unfortunately she is no longer with us so I will need to keep up the tradition, or maybe I can talk my knitting DIL to do the job!

Amy
      December 13, 2017 at 12:20 pm

What a treasure to have those stockings she made! I hope you DIL will carry it on!

Kay
    December 13, 2017 at 12:07 am

That is a gorgeous house block. I sometimes have magazine envy as we can’t always get copies in England. The fleet tree is something I would certainly have a go at, working with felt is very forgiving and easy to sit doing in the evening. x

Mabel
    December 13, 2017 at 6:54 am

Thank you for sharing!??

Barbara Opett
    December 13, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I hope you continue to feel good throughout the holidays. So happy to hear you accept the fact that you do not have much time for sewing before Christmas. I was getting grumpy and stressed until I just accepted I can’t get everything done I wanted to. Always the new year with new beginnings ?❤️ Have a Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing with all of us makers☺️

pattypiecer
    December 27, 2017 at 6:16 pm

I , too love that house quilt. It’s on my list! My daughter was nice enough to give me a subscription to Quiltmania for two years for my birthday!!! So grateful, and happy!… Love reading your blog.

Amy
      January 1, 2018 at 4:14 pm

What an awesome gift!!

Thanks so much for your kind words. xo

Barbara Errickson
    December 8, 2020 at 6:15 am

My Christmas stockings are knit too. Just finished the seventh one for my great grandson and need to make the eighth for my newest great grandson born November 23,,2020. Also knitted special stockings for my husband and me.

Amy
      December 9, 2020 at 10:12 am

What a treasure, Barbara! I love sentimental aspects of handmade stockings. I’m sure your family will treasure them!

Robyn
    December 8, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Amy, did you finish the Saltbox House quilt? I would love to see how it turned out. During lockdown here in Australia, I experimented with making 2 different rose blocks and have made a medallion quilt using one. It is a queen size and I am quilting it myself, which is taking a while, but very satisfying.

Your posts are always full of thoughtful inspiration. Thank you and best wishes for a joyful Christmas and positive New Year!

Amy
      December 9, 2020 at 10:11 am

I *still* haven’t finished it. I’m making a goal that this is the year I finally do something! Your lockdown project sounds amazing! Way to go. (I’m grateful that in this year of isolation, I at least have plenty of projects to keep me going!)

Thanks so much for your kind words. Wishing you a joyful Christmas and New Year as well!

Gwyn
    December 10, 2020 at 6:48 pm

This was my year to spend Christmas in NH with our family. Boo hoo!!! We all have stocking our mother’s or grandmother’s made us, but the best stocking is my dad’s foot/ankle cast from 1980. He got hurt sliding into a base at a Forest Service picnic. He ended up with a plaster walking cast. When we were in NH in August for our summer visit to the home place, my dad couldn’t take it any longer. He sawed his own cast off so he could go swimming in the lake! My mom was not happy. My aunt surprised him at Christmas by turning it into a Christmas stocking. He used it as his stocking for many years until it was deemed to fragile and now is decor.

Thank you for all your hard work this year!! You have been my favorite quilt blogger this year!

Amy
      December 12, 2020 at 2:57 pm

Hah! That is a great story! My in-laws live in NH – (we missed going this year too!) but I totally get the irresistible desire to jump into one of those NH lakes!

And thank you so much for your kind words. That means a lot! xo