Awesome yard sale find + progress

I haven’t done much thrifting lately. Mainly because it was summer and I didn’t go many places alone. (Thrifting with 4 kids just doesn’t sound that fun. Either they want weird stuff or they want to go home.) Also I spent the summer trying to eliminate clutter, rather than accumulate more. (You should see the piles of stuff I got rid of. Felt SO good.)  But one day I was out running and I ran past a yard sale and spotted this beauty.
My daughter took a sewing class this summer and I’ve been thinking about getting another machine for my girls to use. (Mainly so I don’t have to share mine.) I thought about just getting an el-cheapo model, but I’ve been dragging my feet for a long time trying to decide what to do. Then I saw this sucker. It was only $20, and it looks like a nice model (heavy, metal parts, etc.) and seems to run fine. I’m going to take it in for a professional tune-up just to make sure. Does anyone out there have this machine?

Also, I’ve been working on my navy and green quilt. I even did the quilting by myself, on my own machine.  Simple cross-hatching, but you don’t know how proud I am of this achievement.  I am usually terrified of ruining my quilts by quilting them myself. I’ve had a few people ask about this one – yes, I am going to do a pattern. I’m hoping to have it ready soon – or at least when I share the finished quilt.

And finally, I’m still stitching away at soccer games.

Comments

My sister in law has that machine and I borrowed it for the last year until I got a quilting sewing machine. It worked decently well after a good tune up; a little noisy and it weighs a ton!

I can&#39;t help with the machine but I do like the blue and green quilt. You have done a great effort with the quilting. It looks wonderful.<br />I was looking at the pic from the soccer match and thinking what a stunning view of the mountains you have in the background!

One of the better things I ever did was to buy my daughter her own sewing machine when she really wanted to sew. It&#39;s HER machine, and really gave her a sense of ownership and confidence. <br /><br />We now are back to mainly sharing since my machine is more sophisticated than hers – don&#39;t estimate the value of needle down for a newbie sewer. It&#39;s also set into a table, which just

What a great find you got there Amy. Its great you can do your stitching at soccer, I take my stitching to swimming lessons. People look at me strange but it doesn&#39;t worry me.

Ug I&#39;m dying for a new machine!! Mine was a Walmart cheapy from 15 years ago and has a total of 1 function:(<br /><br />I&#39;m a native of Utah Valley currently living in North Carolina and seeing those mountains in the background makes me happy:)

Congrats on your machine find! Do you collect or will you use it? I hope it works nicely for you. =)<br /><br />I&#39;ve been at soccer games too…another one today. Love that you work…I&#39;m too busy cheering the kids. =) <br /><br />Have a great day!

That machine was a great find. Good for you. <br /><br />The blue and green quilt is pretty. I&#39;m afraid of quilting myself too but one day I will make the time to give it a try.<br /><br />I wish I could sew at swim lessons. But the quilts that I have to bind are too big plus I&#39;m too busy keeping Sunshine busy during Jammer&#39;s class.

I have that exact machine that I bought at a thrift store for $15 almost 3 years ago. The tune-up was expensive (about $75), but it runs great now. I just have it as a back-up for my Janome, or to use downstairs when I want to do some piecing when I want to be in the thick of things with my kids. It&#39;s always nice to have an extra machine!

My mom gave me that machine when I was in college. I still have it and hope that someday my daughters will use it. I have sewn a bridesmaids dress on it, my first borns crib bedding, countless curtains, baby girl outfits, the list goes on and on. A pretty good machine, hope your daughter enjoys it.

I think you got a real good deal , I don&#39;t own this machine but have sewn on one at classes years ago and found it to work really well ,I&#39;m sue with a tune up it will be a perfect machine for your daughter .I&#39;m looking for one for my granddaughters now . Love the quilt and congrats on quilting it yourself!

I don&#39;t have that machine so I am no help there. Did want to comment on your blue quilt though. Basically I love it. :) A lot. A whole lot.<br /><br />Quilting at the soccer games seems like fun too!

great find on the machine, and I love that last photo, quilting in the front, kids playing on a sunny field with overcast skies in the back with a rainbow in it too!!! Great shot!

Both of your quilty WIPs look awesome! Great job on the quilting! See, I am the opposite- I always quilt mine, and while I am not amazing or anything, I am thinking of sending a few to a long arm quilter but I am nervous about THAT. I guess once it is out of my hands and my control, I am worried it won&#39;t come out as I imagine!<br /><br />That photo at soccer with the rainbow over the

Great find and great idea buying this for the kiddo….gotta keep the interest going while it&#39;s hot so hopefully it will be a lifelong pleasure!;)<br /><br />Love the WIPs….I really like how you did the string quilt with the print wider in the middle and the white on either side…brilliant idea!;)<br /><br />Getting ready to go to the Bluemont Fair!;)

I have that exact machine and it has served me well since 1986. I do have a 6-year old Janome that I use full-time for my quilt piecing. The Singer had a tun-up about three months ago, runs great but noisy compared to the newer machines and I sure do miss the needle up/down function — spoiled one that I am! Your daughters will put it to good use I&#39;m sure.

Wow – what a great find. I think I should start stopping at those yard sales! I just love your blue and green quilt and great job on the quilting. Oh and those mountains – how beautiful are they!? One of these day, I&#39;ll make my way to Utah.

Yay for finding the machine for your girls! I am still swooning over your green and blue quilt…looking forward to the pattern coming out! Oh, and you did great on the quilting…good for you!! Smiles~Beth

I have that machine! I got it as a gift this summer. It had a problem with a part snapping (apparently common with this machine) but I replaced it for around $20 and it is my go to machine! I LOVE it. Sews sooo much better than my last one.

I don&#39;t have that exact machine, but I have one that is very very similar and probably from right around the same year. Mine is fabulous for an older machine. It definitely does the trick. The drawback…there is no quarter inch foot, which is the main reason I plan on buying a new machine this Christmas.

YES, I STILL have this machine. It was my very first machine and well I haven&#39;t had the heart to ever let it go. It does remind me I need to get it out and run it!

I grew up on that machine. My mom had it for twenty-some years, and it worked great. I got a viking about ten years ago while I was in college, and my mom followed suit shortly after that, lol. We both love our new ones, but the singer was still going strong when it was replaced. She gave it to a friend, and it&#39;s still working as far as I know.

I realize this is an old post, but I have just now discovered your blog. I love it by the way. Just wanted to make sure that you realized there is a great rainbow in that last picture. Awesome blog by the way!