A few months ago, Sedef Imer of Down Grapevine Lane, asked me if I’d like to review a copy of her brand new book, Zakka Home. I have always been a big fan of Sedef’s style and attention to detail, so I was excited to get my hands on a copy of this book.
Zakka is a Japanese word that combines everyday, useful items with style and beauty. This book contains 19 patterns for items to help organize and beautify your home.
I had fun making this sweet scalloped trivet. The instructions were simple and it came together in such a short amount of time. (I made the whole thing during one episode of Poldark!)
I followed Sedef’s example and had fun doing some big-stitch hand quilting to finish my project
One of my favorite things about small projects is that they’re a fun way to finish a project with a color palette/fabric combo I’ve really wanted to play with. These fabrics are a mix of Lori Holt’s Autumn Love and Lauren Nash’s Calico Crow fabric collections, plus a few other scraps thrown in for good measure (and extra scrappiness).
I loved this little project and would make another one of these trivets again tomorrow!
Here’s a taste of some of the other projects and patterns in the book. There’s everything from pincushions, pouches, embroidery, sachiko designs, etc.
There’s also this beautiful, but simple quilt pattern.
In addition to the projects, I just loved the styling and photos throughout the book. The whole book made me want to start pulling fabric and cutting and making.
If you want even more pretty inspiration, check out the other stops on the Zakka Home book tour, including these projects from the book made by (clockwise from top left) Flamingo Toes, Quilter’s Candy Box, Emily Dennis of Quilty Love, and Nadra of Ellis and Higgs.
- 22 October – Sedef Imer – Down Grapevine Lane – @downgrapevinelane
- 23 October – Jemima Flendt – Tied With A Ribbon – @tiedwitharibbon
- 24 October – Minki Kim – Minki’s Work Table – @zeriano
- 25 October – Jane Davidson – Quilt Jane – @quiltjane
- 26 October – Elizabeth Chappell – Quilters Candy Box – @quilterscandybox
- 27 October – Lauren Wright – Molly and Mama – @mollyandmama
- 28 October – Sarah Scott – Piccolo Studio – @piccolostudio_sarah
- 29 October – Alyce Blyth – Blossom Heart Quilts – @blossomheartquilts
- 30 October – Emily Dennis – Quilty Love – @emily_dennis_
- 31 October – Sharon Burgess – Lilabelle Lane Creations – @lilabellelane
- 1 November – Wynn Tan – Zakka Art – @zakkaArt
- 2 November – Amanda Woodruff – A Crafty Fox – @a.crafty.fox
- 4 November – Samantha Dorn – Aqua Paisley Studio – @aqua_paisley
- 5 November – Love Patchwork & Quilting – @lovequiltingmag
- 6 November – Kate May – The Homemakery – @thehomemakery
- 7 November – Ayda Algin – Cafe Nohut – @cafenohut
- 8 November – Faith Essenburg – Sarana Ave – @faithessenburg
- 9 November – Nadra Ridgeway – Ellis & Higgs – @ellisandhiggs
- 10 November – Fat Quarter Shop – @fatquartershop
- 11 November – Laura Cunningham – @laura_zuckerkuss
- 12 November – Bev McCullough – Flamingo Toes – @flamingotoes
- 13 November – Amy Smart – Diary of a Quilter – @diaryofaquilter
- 14 November – Riley Blake Designs – @rileyblakedesigns
- 15 November – Michelle Hickson – @coleandtaffy
- 16 November – Christopher Thompson – The Tattooed Quilter – @the_tattooed_quilter
- 17 November – Ange Hamilton – A Little Patchwork – @alittlepatchwork
- 18 November – Sarah Ashford – Sarah Ashford Studio – @sarahashfordstudio
- 19 November – Sedef Imer – Down Grapevine Lane – @downgrapevinelane (ROUND UP)
Hopefully, you can find a copy of Zakka Home at your favorite quilt or book store! If not, it is also available on Amazon. If you love Zakka style or making small projects, this book is for you. Also, so many great patterns if you’re looking for ideas for handmade gifts this Christmas.