Dresdens, Denim and other fabric inspiration

I have so many projects in the works right now, my head is spinning. I feel like I haven’t shared anything finished for a while. Well, next week there will be a bunch, so stay tuned. But here’s a little bit of what I’m working on behind the scenes. First up, these traditional Dresden Plate blocks. I love the monochromatic blocks, but now I’m trying to decide what to put in the centers. Whether to use a light center or go dark – black maybe? Whether to have a center color that matches the individual block or whether to have one contrasting fabric center that unifies all the blocks. Thoughts?
For these Dresdens I’m using a collection of all my favorite American Jane prints, including the latest and greatest, Pot Luck. (Those baby chicks!) Yardage should be hitting stores soon, but you can find Pot Luck precuts here and here.  Also, the fun thing about Dresden plates is that they are so much easier than they look. There is a tutorial on Sew Mama Sew here.
And because I don’t have enough unfinished projects in the works, I think I need a few more. A few weeks ago my boys started their flag football season. They are SOOooo excited and it’s fun to watch. This season we are cheering for the Dirtbags and the Killer Goats. (Can you tell the kids picked the names themselves?) We’ve already had some COLD games. (This fall is not my favorite fall. Too cold, to early.)
As I sat at those cold games, snuggled under our old pea-green, wool army blanket (which does it’s job) and looked at other people wrapped up in old quilts, I wondered why I didn’t have a quilt for these settings. Obviously I have a plethora of quilts in my house, but I’m too chicken to take them out to a wet, sometimes muddy, football field. I want to make something heavy and durable, so I’m going to use these cotton Crossroads Denims from Amy Barickman. I love the saturated colors of these denims and they will make a nice heavy, durable quilt for my cold sporting events. It probably won’t get done before the end of the Killer Goats’ season, but I’m itching to start and then I’ll be all ready for soccer season this spring.
And speaking of projects, I bought and need to do something with this Halloween print. SO cute. It’s from the Spooktacular collection by Maude Ashbury for Blend. You can find the prints still from the Little Fabric Shop. The Jack-o-lanterns are equally adorable.
And finally, if you’re looking for a new project yourself, check out this cute kit from Honey Be Good fabrics using Arin Turnmire’s latest collection for Moda, Little Things
Honey Be Good created this kit using my Hour Glass pattern and has it ready to go as a kit! For the next week you can get 15% off Little Things fabric or the kit using the coupon code DOAQ. (Good until October 15.)
Alright. Let’s meet back here soon and discuss more unfinished project, shall we?

Lorna McMahon
    October 8, 2013 at 9:16 am

Lovely Dresens, Amy! My thoughts are go dark, but not as far as black and, yes, use one contrasting fabric center that unifies all the blocks. Maybe a grey dot? Love your Little Things Hourglass quilt. Sew cute!

Missy Shay
    October 8, 2013 at 9:20 am

Those denims would make a nice rag quilt coupled with flannel or fleece on the back side would make it pretty warm and quick to make. With the Dresdens, I made my centers yo yo's and secured them with a button in the middle. You could make a center the same color as each block then put them with different colors, like a yellow center for the red dresden, a red center for the blue dresden, a

October 8, 2013 at 9:45 am

I vote for a black 30's print for your adorable dresdens. .

Donna Laster
    October 8, 2013 at 10:06 am

Love your Dresden plate blocks. I just got some templates in the mail I ordered from Ebay. Can&#39;t wait to use them. Just got to decide what prints I want to use. You have inspired me to get started. But I am also like you I have so many projects started…..<br />Donna from Blackberry Winter Crafts

Rebecca Grace
    October 8, 2013 at 10:08 am

Ooh, I just LOVE your monochromatic Dresden plates! Do you want all of the centers to be the same fabric? I almost think I&#39;d want a different center for each plate, like a deep orange for the blue plate, dark gray for the yellow plate, maybe blue in the red plate and purple in the green one. Another idea — the center does not need to just be a plain circle. You could applique a hexagon

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~
    October 8, 2013 at 10:37 am

Love the dresdens!! So very pretty along with the other fabrics too! Happy sweet day! xo Holly

Katelyn Vawter
    October 8, 2013 at 11:15 am

Before reading, I was looking at your Dresdens thinking how great they looked with the low volume. What if you did another low volume in the center…like one of the prints from another block. I think that would look great and tie them in nicely!

October 8, 2013 at 11:36 am

Your dresdans are fab! Love the monochromatic look. <br />It&#39;s a good time of year to hunker down and start some new projects

Budding Violinist
    October 8, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I&#39;m going to say: go for black or maybe dark grey????<br /><br />Also, I&#39;d never heard of denim quilts until a friend of mine lent hers to me. Woah. Those things are serious. But they are definitely good for the great outdoors, especially when the great outdoors are chilly!!

October 8, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Guess just appliqueing back the centers so the background fabric shows would be too hard right?:) Why don&#39;t you finish all your plates, lay they out and take a photo then take it to Paint or some other photo editing thingy and tryout different centers?:)<br /><br />Whoaaa…I was thinking that looked like denim before I read it was…why don&#39;t you make a duvet cover and put that army

amy smart
      October 9, 2013 at 11:00 am

Haha! Yes, that army blanket inside a denim quilt would be heavy-duty and SUPER warm.

October 8, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I LOVE your dresdens, all the same color, fabulous!

October 8, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Love those dresdens. My thought for the centers is go with the contrasting color, ie for blue pick a yellow center, for red, a greeen center, etc. But I am sure there is more than one lovely option.

October 8, 2013 at 3:38 pm

So funny! My grandson&#39;s team is the &quot;Natural Disasters&quot;. Love your blocks!<br /><br />Cheery wave from<br />Bev

amy smart
      October 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

Haha! Love it. My son really wanted to be the Shark-nadoes (A tornado made from sharks). For some reason he got voted down. πŸ˜‰

Handmade by Hanki
    October 8, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I love to make Dresden plates they are very addictive πŸ™‚ Yours are beautiful! The centre piece is always dilemma for me πŸ™‚ You have a great taste in colors so whatever you choose I am sure it will be gorgeous.<br />If you like to see my collection of Dresden here is link to my blog <br />http://handmadebyhanki.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/dresden-plate-mania.html

October 8, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Do you have the same print in each colour? That way you&#39;d still maintain the monochromatic feel, but matching the print would still kind of tie it all together.

October 8, 2013 at 11:26 pm

dresden plates are great, do have the template and must make an effort to do some. The sky on the football photo was worth getting up and being out for, wonderful.

October 9, 2013 at 1:54 am

Try auditioning solids of the same color as your dresden plates. I think it will enhance the prints of your plates.

October 9, 2013 at 2:46 am

I love the dresdens, they were the first block I ever made so I am rather partial to them. The yellow is my favourite.

N.C.Fabric Junkie
    October 9, 2013 at 5:52 am

I like black because its dramatic but with your color choices I would go a different matching circle for each block. maybe a solid green, red and yellow would be very pretty and yet not take away from your beautifull fabrics. you could always cut out some colors and set them up on your desing board without actually sewing them to see how you like them first.

October 9, 2013 at 6:33 am

Love the idea of a denim quilt!! When I saw the lovely Dresdens, I was thinking it might be pretty to rotate colors for the centers..yellow in the red, red in the green, etc (maybe one of the low volume prints in each color). Or maybe navy? Or a navy pindot…oh the possibilities!

October 9, 2013 at 8:23 am

Some fun projects on the go Amy! In my book, it&#39;s all about the process and if you have finishes to show every week, you&#39;re not enjoying the process LOL!

October 9, 2013 at 8:24 am

I love your dresdens and wish I had enough good stash to do the same. I&#39;m not creative enough to give you suggestions for the center, but I am bold enough to ask how in the world did you attach them to the background?! I CAN&#39;T SEE YOUR STITCHES!! Gosh you&#39;re good!! I look forward to seeing what you come up with to complete this project :o)

amy smart
    October 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

I am loving all of these suggestions! Thanks so much everyone.

britt schmiesing
    October 9, 2013 at 11:34 am

that fabric with the potions is a hoot!

October 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm

love your dresden blocks…no! don&#39;t put black centers….a contrasting color will work really well.

October 9, 2013 at 12:54 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 9, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Hi Amy,<br />What is the background fabric on the three similar background dresden plates? It is a great contrast. Thanks.

Katy Cameron
    October 10, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Hee hee, I was thinking as I was reading &#39;Hmm, wonder where she could get a quilt for that field&#39; ;o)

October 10, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Oooooh — I love those bottles!

Live a Colorful Life
    October 11, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Love LOVE your dresdens. And wow, those saturated denims in a rainbow of colors, well they are just awesome!

October 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Oh Amy, you know how to grab my attention with all those adorable American Jane fabrics! I love them, the colours are adorable. I like the suggestion from one of the other followers about mixing up and just rotating the colours in the middle. Got to love a Dresdan, and with American Jane…. ah.<br />Therese x