Bee Blocks + Olympic inspiration

I’ve been catching up on a few Block of the Month projects over the past week. (I think having the Olympics on has been a nice motivation/excuse to catch up on some sewing.) This block is Block 2 in the 2014 Auriful Block of the Month. This quilt is designed by Amy Gibson of Stitchery Dickory Dock
Lots of cute little half-square-triangles. You can read more about Amy and her inspiration for this block on the Aurifil blog. Amy is as sweet in real life as she sounds.

Here are my blocks. You can find the pattern for Block #1 (right) here and Block #2 (left) here. They are both 12″ finished blocks.

A couple of blocks for Carrie from the Bee’s Knees. For January, Carrie requested two different 12″ half-square-triangle blocks from each member. Each block came from Camille Roskelly’s Craftsy video 25 Half Square Triangle Blocks. If you haven’t seen it, there’s a lot of great HST block inspiration.

And finally, speaking of bee’s and quilt blocks, a reminder about our wrap-up party for the Virtual Quilting Bee. Because of some scheduling conflicts, we are going to move the official VQB party back one week to Monday, March 3! (Who couldn’t use an extra week, right?) If you’ve created something using any of the VQB blocks, you can link up a picture of your creation. (Hint: There will be prizes!) Even if you didn’t make anything, I’m sure there will be lots of pretty inspiration.

And finally, because I am an Olympics junkie, I just have to comment on how much I am loving all the quilt inspiration in the official Sochi motif! SO cool.
Not to mention the Norwegian Curling Team uniforms. (Lol!) Endless inspiration… (the Mondrian pants!)
I LOVE having the Olympics to watch while I’m sewing or cleaning or doing whatever. So many sweet inspiring moments for these athletes who put their heart and soul into something the rest of us only care about once every four years. This ad with Noelle Pikus-Pace is my favorite (partly because I recognize a lot of that scenery as she lives 30 minutes away.) Also this sweet moment with the women snowboarders. Love it.
Happy Valentine’s Day!

Sigi G
    February 14, 2014 at 5:59 am

Thank you for a chance to try my hand at some more blocks. It is approx. 1 year since I ventured into the world of 'quilt blocks' and I can't seem to soak it up enough.

February 14, 2014 at 6:38 am

I've been waiting for someone else to comment on all the quilt motifs at the Olympics. I love them too!

February 14, 2014 at 6:52 am

you have an eye for it .. Stop by my blog and share a love story and read others.. Happy Valentines..

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge
    February 14, 2014 at 7:19 am

I love the colour combo for your Auriful blocks. I&#39;d love to have those grays in my stash!<br /><br />And on another note, I&#39;m an Olympic junkie too! I love the patchwork diamonds that are being used all over so much that I started my own Olympic project. I&#39;ve posted a couple preliminary pics on my blog, but should have more to show soon!

February 14, 2014 at 8:46 am

Thanks for sharing and I love the patchwork theme for the Olympics in Sochi too!!! So great to see something that contrasts so greatly with the sports embraced and used!!!

February 14, 2014 at 9:59 am

All those Half Square Triangles makes me smile 🙂 I haven&#39;t had a lot of time to watch the Olympics lately, but was able to see Noelle last night. Go Utah!

Jill @ I Rather Quilt
    February 14, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Half-square triangles are on my want-to-do list. Thanks for the diamond Russia map. It is awesome.

Katy Cameron
    February 14, 2014 at 5:07 pm

So when you&#39;re doing the blocks do you envisage yourself whizzing down the slopes, birling round the half pipe or sliding down the manic sled run? :oD

Esther Dunn
    February 14, 2014 at 8:16 pm

So glad you posted the Sochi motif image!! I have been seeing bits and pieces of this in the backgrounds of the TV coverage and thought how much it looked like a modern quilting…beautiful!!

Amy Gibson
    February 14, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Hi lady lady! :). Love all the yummy patchwork going on over in Amy Smart land! :). Lots of super darling blocks 🙂 And we&#39;re having a ball watching the Olympics as well! xo

February 15, 2014 at 12:15 am

I love HSTs and all the configurations you can make. Love your choice of fabrics in each of your blocks.

Pamela Nelson
    February 15, 2014 at 10:24 am

WOW! I had no idea of all that you have accomplished. Your skill, talent and creativity create a sense of awe. Hopefully I will get back to quilting some day and you will be my guide!<br /><br />Thanks for the Christmas card. Your family is beautiful. <br />Much love and admiration. <br />Pam

February 18, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Your Aurifil blocks look great! I&#39;m really enjoying the quilt inspiration at the Sochi Olympics as well.