Quilting and Binding techniques and talking to Pat Sloan

In fun news, Part 4 of the Churn Dash Quilt Along is up at the We All Sew site talking about finishing a quilt including the quilting and binding.

Here are the links for

Using a walking foot to machine quilt wavvy lines on a quilt.

I’m sharing a technique for a new way to quilt that is so much easier than you think! Don’t stress if you’re behind – remember, this isn’t a race. The tutorials will be posted indefinitely as a resource. If you’re quilting along I’d love to see what you’re making. You can share in the Flickr group, tag with #churndashqal or #churndashquiltalong, or post to my Facebook page or the BERNINA USA Facebook page.

Quilting and Binding a quilt tutorials

I have to admit, this might be one of my favorite bindings in a while. You know that feeling when you’ve been working on a project for a while and you start to think, “Is this the ugliest thing I’ve ever made? What was I thinking?” (Mainly just because you’ve lost all objective perspective after staring at something for too long.) I had totally reached that point with this quilt. Then I went through my stash for a binding and found this print from Flea Market Fancy. Perfect! I made me like the quilt again. Denyse Schmidt to the rescue every time.

Also today I’m going to be chatting live (LIVE!) with Pat Sloan on the American Patchwork and Quilting podcast this afternoon at 4:00 Eastern – 1:00 Pacific. You can listen to the show live at the American Patchwork and Quilting podcast site as well as find out more about and listen to past shows. If you miss it, you can always listen to the podcast later here. (And try not to make fun of my Kermit-the-Frog voice.)

Melissa Corry
    May 12, 2014 at 6:35 am

Yippee!!! Have fun on Pat's show πŸ™‚ How exciting!!! And I have to say, I am glad to hear that "staring at the project to long and not liking it anymore" thing happens to others as well πŸ˜‰

Thimbleanna
    May 12, 2014 at 8:28 am

I LOVE that binding — it's super cute! Although — I LOVE that print and I'm not sure I'd be able to cut into it LOL!!!

Funky Kim
    May 12, 2014 at 11:14 am

I shall have to listen to the show later. Work probably wouldn't understand. LOL

Michal Woodruff
    May 12, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I love Pat's show. I'll have to tune in. I want to play Churn Dash, but I too many other quilts in the fire. Maybe I should just do it. πŸ™‚

Karen
    May 12, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I love your Churn Dash and actually bought fabric last week to quilt along, but with no days off work in the near future, I'm not sure when that is going to happen. Good thing I like the dreaming part of the process too!

Louise
    May 13, 2014 at 7:29 am

That was a beautiful job on the binding. I am curious what size strips did you cut and what is your seam allowance when you sew it on the front. I have the hardest time getting the front and back width of the binding even close to equal in size–any suggestions? Ps I would rather have a wider binding.

T
    May 13, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I love the look of the running stitch you used for the quilting. How do you keep the vertical lines of stitching straight? Do you mark lines on the quilt?

BKringel
    May 13, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I just listened to the podcast with Pat Sloan. You were great. Your voice was lovely. Isn't it funny how when we listen to a recording of our own voice, it sounds strange? It was a great interview.

Sandy W
    May 25, 2014 at 8:26 am

Im getting caught up, have to sub cut the strips and I'm ready to piece my blocks!!