Zen Chic’s new Reel Time fabric

Moda-Reel-Time-quilt-by-Amy-SmartA little while ago I was contacted by Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic inviting me to play with her latest collection, Reel Time for Moda fabrics. I was so honored because I have been a fan of Brigitte’s for a long time. The first time I was introduced to Zen Chic was at quilt Market in Salt Lake City about 5 years ago. I LOVED her modern and minimalist style and have enjoyed watching all that she has done since.

Reel Time is inspired by old time cinema rolls and TV screens with lots of great black, white, and gray prints as well as some contrasting oranges and lime-y greens.

It’s a fun, modern color palette with lots of great individual pieces – especially if you like neutrals and ‘low-volume’ prints.

I had a Layer Cake (42 10″ x 10″ squares) to play with. I wanted to include everything and make something scrappy so I went with a traditional hour glass pattern.

The fabrics and colors do all the work to take this traditional quilt design and give it a modern look. I’m excited to get some yardage and finish this quilt. I have a finished Hour Glass pattern in this design using 10″ squares in my shop (on sale!) that includes yardage requirements, borders, etc. Also an hour glass quilt blocks tutorial for a quick method to make this traditional block.

marketing write on white

image from Zen Chic

I especially want to stash some of these great black and white prints – such great basics! I’m particularly smitten with the crosses in the circles.

Brigitte has organized a bunch of other quilters who have also been playing with Reel Time. You can check them below out for more pretty inspiration. And be sure to stop by Brigitte’s Zen Chic blog at the end of the tour to enter to win Reel Time Fabric!

14 April     www.freshlypieced.com
15 April     www.diaryofaquilter.com (ta-da!)
16 April     www.modernhandcraft.com
17 April     www.luckylucille.com
REEL TIME blog tour
Reel Time is arriving in stores and online. Precuts are available now from the Fat Quarter Shop, and Green Fairy Quilts.

gemini jen nz
    April 15, 2015 at 3:39 am

Gorgeous quilt! Those fabrics are going on my wish list!

April 15, 2015 at 4:04 am

I was toying with the idea of making a pinwheel quilt recently! This pretty quilt has just reinforced how lovely a pattern it is! The orange and green combination is very fresh too!

April 15, 2015 at 5:40 am

Wow. I’m not really an orange person, but Zen Chic always makes colors I wouldn’t normally use work in their lines. I’m smitten! Lovely quilt Amy! Can’t wait to see it with borders and all quilted up.

April 15, 2015 at 7:11 am

This is really beautiful, Amy. I wouldn’t have picked this palette, but I really love it now. You always do a wonderful job combining colors and prints.

Dede Bliven
    April 15, 2015 at 8:35 am

Just nominated Amy for National Quilters Circle in the category of “Best Quilting Blog of the Year”, mainly because she is! Talented, funny and always upbeat, the information and inspiration in her blog makes my day. Thank you Amy for all that you do for our passion and love of quilting!

Amy Smart
      April 15, 2015 at 8:51 am

Aww thank you DeDe! Your kind words mean a lot. You made my day!

April 15, 2015 at 8:46 am

It’s so cute! I just love all her fabrics too. I made a little quilt last week using this line. You are right about stashing some of the lighter prints. When it comes into our shop, I plan on hoarding! Have you heard about her new line coming called Ink?

Amy Smart
      April 15, 2015 at 8:52 am

I haven’t! I’m going to have to look it up. I always love everything Brigitte does.

April 15, 2015 at 10:24 am

April 15, 2015 at 11:00 am

Vicki H
    April 15, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I like how the orange and green work so well together with the black.

April 15, 2015 at 3:13 pm

This came out super! Reminiscent of Comma…just love the combination of colors and black and white! Looks great in your Hourglass top!!!!

April 15, 2015 at 6:26 pm

So striking! Love it.

April 15, 2015 at 7:10 pm

This line is fun! I love all of your hourglass quilts!

michele Timms
    April 15, 2015 at 7:20 pm

I have been following this hop all week and your quilt with this fabric collection is AWESOME!!!!! I love, love, love it!! I hope you don’t mind that I pinned it because I will make one exactly like it!! Thank you for inspiring me!!

April 17, 2015 at 7:38 am

beautiful quilt. I’ll need to get son of Brigittes new fabric

Reel Time Quilted Knitting Bag | Lucky Lucille
    April 17, 2015 at 12:35 pm

[…] is Nice 4/13 – Erica at Kitchen Table Quilting 4/14 – Lee at Freshly Pieced 4/15 – Amy at Diary of a Quilter 4/16 – Nicole at Modern Handcraft 4/17 – Me! Right here 4/18 – Kelly at Crafty Twin Mommy […]

May 3, 2015 at 8:54 am

What a fabulous choice of pattern to show off these lovely fabrics.

Amy Smart
      May 4, 2015 at 9:29 am

Thank you Barbara! It’s a fun one and seems to work well with almost any fabric combination!

Zen Chic: Reeltime / News
    May 16, 2015 at 5:59 am

[…] some quilters out there who have already been experimenting with Reel Time. Check out Diary of a Quilter's classic hourglass quilt, A Quilt Is Nice's monochromal flying geese quilt, and Modern Handcraft's […]

April 30, 2016 at 11:11 am

I have to order my fabric online so it is difficult to match color. Can you tell me which of the Moda white/tan neutrals is a good match for Reel Time?

Amy Smart
      April 30, 2016 at 4:07 pm

I would use the Bella Solids 9900 97 Bleached White – it’s a little bit warmer, creamier white. I’m not as familiar with the tans, so not as much help there.