Two I-spy quilts

children's quiltsTwo quilts just for fun. Both of these are for gifts. I pulled out all of my novelty fabrics and past i-spy kits to put these together. An i-spy quilt is typically made of novelty prints with little pictures to play a game of ‘i-spy’.

i-spy baby quilt-001

I decided to try something different from my previous I-spy quilts. In the past I’ve used the Essex Linen as my off-setting squares. This time I decided to use the Riley Blake black Swiss-dot. I also laid out the colored blocks in color-spectrum order.

I cut all my squares 3 1/2″ x 3 1/2″.

riley blake swiss dot

I really like the texture that the dots give. I think it makes for a fun change giving it a little more of a vintage look.

The backing on this one is a piece that I’ve had in my stash forever. It’s an Alexander Henry print that I got years ago called Paris Park. (Which is a little extra poignant today.) It was the perfect backing for this quilt.

And I’m feeling proud that I actually put a label on it. I used one of my personalized labels from Modern Yardage.

i-spy baby quilt kits

I also made one with alternating i-spy blocks. It makes the quilt a little busier, but gives you lots more things to “spy”.

mini polkadot fabric binding

I love the little black and white Moda micro dot on for the binding.

Moda Passport New York map fabrics

For the backing on this one I usedย the Moda Passport map of New York City. I only had a yard so I pieced some cheerful clouds above the city. ๐Ÿ™‚

I-spy quilts

I am going to be listing setsย of custom i-spy charms ย in my shop next week. Probably Tuesday or Wednesday. (I don’t want to make a hard and fast promise, because who knows what wrench will get thrown in… ) So as soon as I have everything ready, I will update the day here and write a new post as well as post it on Instagram to give a heads up ahead of time. I am also pulling some fabric bundles to destash.children's i-spy quiltsFinally, thank you SO much for all of the kind words this week. They were a huge boost and lift. I could not do an adequate job of thanking you all individually, but please know each kind word meant so much.

I have been feeling so sad for Paris. It’s one of my favorite citiesย and I’m praying for Paris.ย It’s awful to see that there is so much bitterness and sadness in the world, but encouraging to see the outpouring of love and support that brings people together under adversity. Keep being kind and seeking out the beautiful. Don’t let ugly win!

POST EDIT: Etsy shop will be updated with I-spy kits and fabric destash Wednesday, Nov 18 at 4:00 Eastern/1:00 Pacific. SHOP LINK HERE

November 15, 2015 at 6:58 am

Both of your I-spy quilts are lovely. Adding a sky above the city makes it even more special!

November 15, 2015 at 7:41 am

They are both beautiful! These kind of quilts are my favorite. : )

Janelle Thietje-Dunn
    November 15, 2015 at 8:34 am

Very beautiful – and I love how they have a different feel even though they are so similar.

November 15, 2015 at 9:08 am

Good Morning Amy,
    Love love love these quilts!!!! You are a gift to this new quilter and I want you to know your efforts and your time are so VERY appreciated by me.
    God bless your day!
    P.S. We had rain in Northern CA last night….yeah!!!!!

Amy Smart
      November 16, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Aww, thank you Colleen. ๐Ÿ™‚ And hooray for rain!

November 15, 2015 at 11:06 am

Love this Amy…can’t wait till Wednesday, I totally missed it the last few times you put I spy charm packs in your shop!

Lara B.
    November 15, 2015 at 2:32 pm

So much to fall in love with in your quilts Amy! The Swiss dots, I Spy blocks and wonderful backs – all so terrific!

Karen Seitz
    November 15, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Great quilts! I did an I-spy hexagon swap with quilty friends, but I have not put them into a quilt yet. It’s on my lengthy to-do list

November 15, 2015 at 11:37 pm

I think they are really fun. Like the spectrum color Quilt the best. You can see more going on.

GeminiJen NZ
    November 16, 2015 at 2:34 am

Eye spy quilts are always fun and there are hours of exploring within yours! I like the dots as the background fabric. Very sad news for Paris. I shared a Ghandi quote with my Year Six pupils today for discussion “An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind” – the kids all agreed that it is a shame people feel they should hurt other people to make a point. Enjoy and appreciate your families…

Amy Smart
      November 16, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Beautiful quote – so wise. Those students are lucky to have you!

November 16, 2015 at 10:51 am

“Don’t let ugly win.” Thank you for these wise words, Amy. So important to remember this.

November 16, 2015 at 10:55 am

I’m a sucker for I Spy quilts–but these are particularly adorable! What fun ๐Ÿ™‚

PatTi Olthoff
    November 16, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Lovely quilts! Just lovely!
    I am wondering….
    Are these new I-spy prints in your stash? I have ordered squares from you in the past and would like to order more but was hoping for some new prints in my mix. Any way you could send me a note to let me know?
    Your blog is my fav!! You just inspire me so and from way over in Indiana I say a big “thank you” for all of the fun things you do here at Diary of a Quilter to keep us inspired and motivated to keep on sewing and making!!

Amy Smart
      November 18, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Patti – yes, this bundle will be a new selection. I can’t promise that there won’t be a few repeats, but most of them will be new. The listing goes live at 4:00 eastern today!

November 18, 2015 at 5:30 am

Love these! And the material you used on the back is really awesome.

November 20, 2015 at 12:09 pm

These quilts are absolutely adorable! I feel that yes! I can make these, too. Thank you!

Brianna Robertson
    November 22, 2015 at 5:41 am

These I-Spy quilts are such a good idea. A fun game for cozy mornings on the couch, I bet ๐Ÿ™‚