Getting organized

le Moyne star

I’ve been practicing my Y-seams and strip-piecing like crazy, making step-out samples and otherwise prepping for my QuiltCon classes this week. The final countdown has begun. I’m feeling high amounts of excitement and nervousness at the same time. One thing’s for sure, I’m definitelyΒ excited for sunny, warm weather. Sounds dreamy after a cold, foggy week here last week.

Alison Glass Sun Print 2016

As I’m preparing step-outs and samples, I’m having fun cutting into a new bundle of Alison Glass’s 2016 Sunprint collection. I just love using these saturated colors. I Β got mine from Westwood Acres. They are out but reordering. I’ve also seen it from Pink Castle Fabrics.

Splendid Sampler first block

In other quilty fun – here is my version of Pat Sloan’s first block Hearts a Flutter for the Splendid Sampler. It’s fun to see all of the other blocks people have made – so much variety.

You can read more about the Splendid Sampler – a free 100 block quilt project that will go for the next year. I’m excited to play along – making a couple of blocks a week. After seeing Jen Kingwell’s quilts a few weeks ago, I’m inspired to make something SUPER scrappy. It’ll be a fun way to dig through my stash. Also, I’m going to keep this one fun. I loved Pat’s post about the Splendid way to do things – most importantly to remember this is for fun. No competition, no pressure, no quilt police. Just do it – and the parts of it – that sound fun or help you learn something new. No need to feel any peer-pressure or stress.

WIPS quilts spreadsheet list

Finally, speaking of aΒ Β splendid way to do things, I’ve started my WIPS (works-in-progress) spreadsheets for 2016. My spreadsheets from last year were SO helpful in motivating me to pull out old, partially finished projects and just get them done. Somehow just having them organized on paper, helped me track and finish (let alone remember in the first place) so many projects. Felt so good!

Finish Quilts SpreadsheetsStart your own lists. Think how organized you’ll feel. A bunch of people had asked where I got my spreadsheets last year. My friend Holly and her husband Dave designed them. This year they’ve updated and expanded the spreadsheets to include a WIPS list, a Quilts to Make list, and a Fabric tracker spreadsheet. They are available here to purchase as instant downloads. Then you can print as many as you need to fill in all your lists!

My sewing room definitely doesn’t look organized in any way, shape, or form at the moment. But having my trust lists started is already giving me a little piece of mind. πŸ˜‰

I’ll try to check in later this week from QuiltCon. If not, I’ll see you on the other side. (Or there! If you see me, stop and say hi!)

Lara B.
    February 16, 2016 at 7:52 am

Amy, that star block is gorgeous! I hope you have the most fabulous time at Quiltcon!
    Love those spreadsheets and am definitely going to Holly & Dave’s to purchase them. Thanks for sharing them!
    Just got my sunprints bundle in the mail yesterday and love it!

Amy Smart
      February 16, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Thanks, Lara. Happy organizing! And petting Sunprints!

Linda
    February 16, 2016 at 9:13 am

I’ll see you in your Saturday afternoon class. Can’t wait!

Melissa Corry
    February 16, 2016 at 9:41 am

Love your block!! Wish I could come take your class πŸ˜‰ And thank you for the link of those spreadsheets. So awesome!!! I have already bought mine, printed them, and am starting to fill them out πŸ˜‰

Amy Smart
      February 16, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Thank you friend, – I wish you could come too! Aren’t those spreadsheets the best?! I already feel way less overwhelmed.

Giulia
    February 16, 2016 at 11:21 pm

I’m so glad to see your Block 1 for the Splendid Sampler and to know you’re sewing along too! It’s kind of exciting to see a quilter I admire doing the same Sew Along I do πŸ™‚
    It’s so pretty! I’m going scrappy too! I want to see all your blocks each week!

Edith @ Inch by Inch Quilting
    February 16, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Love your colourful star and love the organizer spread sheet idea. Thanks for the link.

Mary
    February 17, 2016 at 2:44 am

An early welcome to southern California! Our weather has been warm and sunny but I’ve heard we’re getting a bit cooler weather soon. It’s still cool at night so bring a warm sweater. I hope to visit the show – can’t wait to see the quilts and vendors. We’re so excited to have QuiltCon West here.

Lizzie
    February 17, 2016 at 2:55 am

Have fun at QuiltCon! Looks line a fun block to conquer. I’ll be watching from afar. Thanks for the tip about those cheerful spreadsheets! I went right over and said you sent me too.

Mabel
    February 17, 2016 at 4:38 am

Have a wonderful time at QuiltCon!😎

Marie Sheppard
    February 17, 2016 at 10:59 am

I would love to order the sheets to get myself organized but I can ‘t for the live of me figure out where to download these. The link on you page isn’t working. Can you give me a website or something?
    Thanks,
    Marie
    Love your work and have done a couple of you patterns.

Karen
    February 17, 2016 at 11:39 am

Amy, thanks so much for the link. I’m not far enough into quilting to need anything but a stash list, I’m embarrassed to say–but that list looks really useful. Maybe it will get me motivated to finally have WIPs πŸ™‚ Have a terrific time teaching and hanging out at QuiltCon!

AnnieO
    February 17, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Beautiful prints for your star! I didn’t get in your class but will be in another class. Sorry, it rained today and temps are way down! We’ll actually have to turn off the fan tonight. But you’ll still get to see the Pacific Ocean πŸ™‚

Ronni
    February 18, 2016 at 7:57 am

printing my new spreadsheets now! Great plan, thanks Amy πŸ™‚

Fall Quilt Sampler
    October 25, 2016 at 5:11 am

[…] you’re looking for motivation with your own WIP’s – you might want to check out Maker Valley’s printable WIP spreadsheets. There’s just something extra motivating about making a list and checking it […]