Sewtopia retreat report

I’m feeling very proud of myself. Finally pieced this baby over the weekend while I was at the Sewtopia retreat. It’s a wedding gift for a couple who got married over a year ago. (yikes.) It’s been such a fun one to work on. The pattern is inspired by Sandy Klop’s Merry Go Round. I modified it slightly (used 2 1/4″ strips) to use the fabric a little more efficiently. I’m getting the back pieced so I can send it off to the quilter. I’ll share more photos and details when it’s all done.
Sewtopia is a quilting retreat and the inaugural event was held this past weekend in Salt Lake City. It was a great retreat with lots of time to both sew and socialize. BERNINA sponsored machines for those traveling who did not want to bring a machine. Since I’m a local, I traveled with my own BERNINA classic – my 801 Sport. It was fun to see Sylvain (who is the funnest BERNINA guy ever) again. He helped me with my class last year at the Sewing Summit (although, this year we didn’t coordinate our outfits.)

I think one of the funnest parts of quilting retreats (aside from being with other like-minded kindred-sewing-spirits) is seeing what everyone is working on. Here are a few projects that were on the Pellon design walls. Elizabeth Hartman patterns were popular with her Aviatrix Medallion as well as Hazel Hedgehog and Preppy the Whale patterns under way by various sewers.

A few more projects going on: Sharon of Color Girl Quilts with an original pattern.

Super speedy Tammy who pieced and quilted this project all in one morning. (The pattern is called Astrodelic and is a free pattern download from Art Gallery.)

Jen and Holly holding Holly’s newly finished Norway Quilt
Marci’s gorgeous quilt made from Camille Roskelly’s Hopscotch pattern made from a gorgeous assortment of Denyse Schmidt fabrics.
While there, we also worked on string blocks made entirely of donated Cotton+Steel selvages. Also, there sure was a LOT of thread hanging around that room. I felt bad for whoever had to vacuum up after us.
These blocks were foundation pieced on paper. (Film in the Fridge has a great strings block tutorial.) By the end of the retreat, these blocks were pieced together and will be auctioned off as a charity quilt. It was pretty cool!
The sponsors of Sewtopia were very generous. I brought home a lot of loot- and I’m sharing a some of it – including a bunch more C+S selvages on my Instagram account this time. Feel free to enter there if you want a chance to win.

I always bring so many projects to retreats and only finish a few. I did, however, finish this over-due Bee block for Shari in time to hand it to her in person. And to get photo-bombed by the hilarious Monica (aka Happy Zombie). Which further proves, the funnest part of sewing retreats are the people who are there.

If you want to attend a future retreat, check out the Sewtopia site. The Chicago event this spring is sold out (but has a waiting list) and they just announced the event next fall will be in Portland, OR! Details to come.

Mam
    November 11, 2014 at 5:36 am

Looks like a good time was had by all. What's is the name of the pattern Tammy completed?

amy smart
      November 11, 2014 at 10:36 am

Isn't it great? I don't know what it's called – I should have asked. I'll try and track her down.

Thimbleanna
    November 11, 2014 at 9:35 am

You guys are too cute. What was going on in that last picture — inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Lana
    November 11, 2014 at 10:23 am

looks like you had a blast! I wish we had a Sewtopia in Houston…..

lalaluu
      November 11, 2014 at 10:50 am

Yes! Houston has lots of quilters, and we love to welcome quilters from afar, too!

Ioleen Kimmel
    November 11, 2014 at 11:50 am

Looks like a good time was had by all!!!!!

Ashley Calder
    November 11, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Looks like a fun time! Your quilt top is gorgeous!

dolores
    November 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Hi ya you photo posing goober!:) Always the ham!! xo Love the quilt you "finally" finished!!

Sharon
    November 11, 2014 at 4:09 pm

what a fantastic weekend! it was so much fun to visit with you again. thanks for the shout-out! It's fun to see all the projects: you were better about taking pictures than I was.

Jodie Zollinger
    November 12, 2014 at 2:39 am

Wow what amazing work you all did! Love your photos, as usual! That snowflake quilt is amazing!

Sew Surprising
    November 12, 2014 at 4:03 am

I am so glad you had a great time and surrounded yourself with such fun gals. Just finished reading an email from a good pal who was at Sewtopia and it had me going ooohhh and aaahhhh πŸ™‚

gigi
    November 12, 2014 at 5:42 am

Do you do the string blocks on paper foundation? What a good idea.

amy smart
      November 12, 2014 at 9:13 am

Yes! The paper makes it so much easier. I just added a link in the post to a tutorial from Ashley at Film in the Fridge.

Elsa
    November 12, 2014 at 6:41 am

Looks like lots of fun! Next year it's going to be here in Portland ~ I'm going!!!

Bohemian Mimi
    November 12, 2014 at 7:21 am

It looks like a good time was had by all. I am glad to see that it only takes a little dedicated time to complete the quilt that Tammy made. The pattern is on my list of quilts to make. Just google Astrodelic quilt pattern and look for the free pdf from Art Gallery. I cannot get the link to paste correctly.

amy smart
      November 12, 2014 at 9:14 am

Thank you so much! I added the link to the PDF in the post. What a great pattern. And yes, she whipped it up fast.

Marci Warren-Elmer
    November 12, 2014 at 9:45 am

Great post! I was too busy having fun to remember to take any pictures. In fact you took a much better picture of my quilt than I did! So fun to see you!!

Tsoniki
    November 12, 2014 at 11:17 am

That is so awesome!! I really want to go – I'd love to attend the Portland one! I'll have to keep an eye out for those details.

Helen L
    November 13, 2014 at 2:27 pm

So fun to see what you all did!! And I was in SLC this past weekend and didn't know about it, but I wouldn't have been able to go anyway: a nephew's wedding on Saturday. Thanks for sharing some of your fun with us!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

Carla
    January 2, 2015 at 1:53 am

Wow some awesome quilts were made or worked on. I love quilt retreats. I organize 2 a year. I always take way more projects than I can complete too. LOL Big ambition.<br />