Patchwork Pumpkin quilt block and table runner tutorial

halloween pumpkin patchwork pillow-001

A couple of years ago I made this simple patchwork pumpkin throw pillow. It’s an easy project perfect for using up scraps. Here’s a tutorial for this quilt block as well as some other patchwork pumpkin projects to make some quick scrappy Halloween decorations.

Quilt Block tutorial (13 1/2″ x 13 1/2″ finished)

Fabric requirements:

•  16 orange squares 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″
  • 17 black squares 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″
  • 1 black square 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″
  • 1 green square 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″
  • 1 black strip 1 1/2″ x 14″
  • 1 black strip 1 3/4″ x 14″

To create the 16-patch pumpkin block begin by matching 4 black 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″ squares with 4 orange 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″ squares. Draw a diagonal line on the back of the orange squares and sew pairs together directly on the line. Trim 1/4″ away from the seam to create a 1/4″ seam allowance and press blocks open, pressing seams toward the black.

Layout remaining orange 2 3/4″ squares with new half-square-triangle orange and black blocks into four rows of four.

Sew together into four rows, pressing seams in alternating directions, every other row.

Sew four rows together.

To create green stem blocks, match-up a green 2 3/4″ block with a black 2 3/4″ block. Draw a diagonal line on the back of the green and sew directly on the line. Trim 1/4″ away and press block open. Match up a 1 1/2″ square in the corner of the green triangle. Draw a diagonal line and sew directly on the line. Trim 1/4″ away and press corner open. Repeat four times to make 5 stem blocks.

To create stem row, use 3 other black 2 3/4″ squares and sew together into a row of four. Press seams all one direction.

Attach stem rows to the ‘top’ of each of the 5 pumpkin blocks.

Sew two rows of five 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″ black squares. Sew to both sides of the pumpkin block. Add black 1 1/2″ x 14″ strip to the top of the block and black 1 3/4″ strip to the bottom of the block.

To use as a pillow, use your favorite pillow finishing method and stuff with a 14″ x 14″ pillow form.

This patchwork block works as part of a larger 15 1/4″ x 60″ table runner.

This look includes a variety of styles of pumpkin blocks to make it an even scrappier and unpredictable patch of pumpkins, good for showing off larger pumpkin prints as well. This row version could be easily replicated to make an entire quilt.

Fabric Requirements for the table runner:

• 4-5 assorted orange and black fat quarters or assorted scraps
  • Sashing 1/2 yard black print (I used the black spiders from Too Cute to Spook)
  • Green solid: 1/8 yard
  • Gingham Binding: 3/8 yard
  • Backing: 1 1/8 yard

Cutting

From assorted oranges cut:

2 squares 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″

8 squares 5″ x 5″

16 squares 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″

From black sashing yardage cut:

5 strips 2 1/2″ x 42″. Sub cut 2 strips into 6 pieces 2 1/2″ x 11 3/4″. Use remaining strips to create two 2 1/2″ x 60″ border strips.

From black scraps (including sashing print) cut:

40 squares 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″

5 squares 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″

From green cut:

5 squares 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″

From binding cut 4 strips 2 1/2″ x 42″

Take four of the 2 3/4″ x 2 3/4″ black squares and draw one diagonal line across them. Place them in the four corners of the 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ orange blocks. Sew directly on all four diagonal lines.

Trim 1/4″ away and press new corners open, pressing seams toward the black.

Sew 2 four-patch blocks with the eight 5″ x 5″ squares and add corners to those blocks as well.

Sew four rows together.

Attach stem rows to the ‘top’ of each of the 5 pumpkin blocks.

Layout five pumpkins in a row, rotating the second and the fourth the opposite direction. Sew the six 2 1/2″ x 11 3/4″ strips alternating between the five pumpkins and at both ends. Press seams towards the sashing strips.

Add two 2 1/2″ x 60″ strips to top and bottom of row of pumpkins. Press toward the sashing strips.

From backing fabric cut two 20″ x 42″ pieces and sew them together end to end. Trim backing to 20″ x 66″. Now you are ready to quilt. Baste top and bottom pieces with batting in between.

Quilt as desired. I used simple straight cross-hatching lines. (For more details about basting and quilting see this post.)

Sew four 2 1/2″ x 42″ gingham strips together end to end to create binding. Binding a quilt tutorial here.

And there you go – a simple patchwork pumpkin Halloween quilt table runner. You could easily multiply this project by six, creating six rows to make a darling Halloween quilt.

Happy sewing and spooking!

Linda
    September 15, 2014 at 11:36 am

Thank you! Love both patterns and really, really hope I can make myself do them both – no procrastination. 😉 Fabrics are just perfect.

Prima Donna
    September 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm

This is so cute! Thank you for sharing your wonderful tutorial.

Ina
    September 15, 2014 at 2:12 pm

dang! love that backing fabric with the cartoon zombies! ;p

Harrysmum
    September 15, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Thanks for the reminder – I made one of these last year, must go and get it out from it's hidey hole!

Karen
    September 15, 2014 at 4:35 pm

So fun! I love Halloween and need to put my collection of Halloween prints to use.

Teatime Creations
    September 15, 2014 at 5:19 pm

What fun projects. Thank you for the instructions.

Angie
    September 15, 2014 at 7:16 pm

These are just too cute for words—thanks so much for sharing the tutorials with us. 🙂

Sherry
    September 15, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Love the pillow block and the table runner. Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorials.

gibbygoo56
    September 15, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I absolutely adore your pillow cover. The fabrics used are rich and delicious. Thank you for sharing these tutorials. I always appreciate gorgeous inspiration. I love your style. Pamela

Charo
    September 16, 2014 at 12:09 am

I love it!!!! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Merrilee
    September 16, 2014 at 4:29 am

Love! Must make- Halloween is my favorite holiday because it's my birthday too! Thanks for sharing this super cute pattern- very generous of you!

Anne Hayward
    September 16, 2014 at 7:54 am

Lovely pumpkin table runner such a cute idea quilty hugs

KMSC
    September 16, 2014 at 10:15 am

Thanks, Amy, for the tutorials! I love both your patterns.

Hilary
    September 16, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Super cute! Now I need to see how much orange I have in my stash 🙂

Irene spiezio
    September 16, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Wow thank you for this great tutorial I will definitely make this table runner.

MaterialGirlQuilts
    September 17, 2014 at 7:03 am

Amy, this is just so cute!! Thanks for the tutorial and now I need to see if I have enough dark prints for a background so I can make my own…I know I have plenty of orange :)<br />Amanda

Jessica D.
    September 20, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I LOVE all things Pumpkin – cute pattern – I&#39;m saving this one! Thanks for sharing!<br />http://catandrabbitdesigns.blogspot.com/

Billy'sgirl
    September 22, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Love the pillow and table runner! I probably decorate almost as much for Halloween as I do for Christmas! Thanks for the pretty ideas.

Billy'sgirl
    September 22, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I forgot to mention how much I enjoy your blog. I&#39;m a recent fan, after hearing you on Pat Sloan, and purchasing your book, which I love!

Kenzi
    September 23, 2014 at 11:06 am

Thanks for the cute tutorial! I made the pumpkin top for a pillow that I just need to finish up and it looks adorable! I don&#39;t have a current blog to link up, but I did post a pic on Instagram if you&#39;re interested. I&#39;m a private user, so you&#39;d have to request to follow to see it I think (kenzimhardy). Thanks again! And I just love your blog!

Lynda (Granny K)
    October 14, 2014 at 3:32 am

Thank you for this tutorial. I have just the right fabrics to make the cushion, it looks like a fun make!

Carla
    October 17, 2014 at 12:28 pm

That pumkin tutorial is too cute. Thanks for sharing

DIY Handcrafted Halloween | WeAllSew
    June 22, 2015 at 4:01 am

[…] Put together your own pumpkin patchwork pillow with this quilt block tutorial from Diary of a Crafter. […]

Pat Cook
    September 29, 2015 at 9:31 am

I love your patchwork pumpkins, but as I read through your directions, it became apparent that you had inadvertently posted some misleading directions. When you were explaining how to make the half square triangles, you said to put the two squares together, draw the diagonal from corner to corner, and then cut 1/4″ on each side of that line. For true beginners that would be confusing because they’d have 4 little triangles with nothing to press open. Didn’t you really mean to SEW 1/4″ on each side of that diagonal and then cut on the diagonal? If I have misunderstood your directions, please accept my apology, but I thought you might want to correct them for future users who are truly beginners and have no prior knowledge of making half square triangles. Thanks for the very cute pattern!

Pat

Amy Smart
      September 29, 2015 at 9:49 am

Thanks so much for your comment! I always appreciate eagle eyes to catch errors when I may have been writing/publishing too quickly. (Which is more often than I’d like to admit.)

I went back to double check the directions – I’m hoping I didn’t miss it again. This HST block, only makes one block (rather than two at once). So you’re sewing directing on the middle diagonal line and trimming a 1/4″ away. I added a few words to make that a little more clear. Let me know if I’m still missing the part you are referring to. Thanks for your help!

Amy

Fall and Halloween Quilt Inspiration - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    October 1, 2015 at 1:02 pm

[…] of my favorite – and most popular – recent projects is this super simple, scrappy Patchwork Pumpkin quilt block. I made mine from all scraps. You can find the tutorial […]

Top Ten Tuesday { Autumn} | AURIbuzz
    October 6, 2015 at 1:17 pm

[…] 1. Patchwork Pumpkin Quilt Block and Table Runner Tutorial by Amy Smart […]

Kleiner Küchenwandbehang mit einem Obst-Motiv » Aufhängung, Nähmaschine, Blütenrest, Linien, Wandbehang, Dreiecken, Canada, Tutorial » Janas Patchworkwelt
    October 28, 2015 at 1:32 pm

[…] Inspiriert dazu wurde ich durch den Blog von Amy. Bei ihr gibt es eine ausführliche Anleitung  für einen Kürbis. Diese wandelte ich zu einer Vorlage für einen bunten Apfel um: Link. […]

Quilt Local by Heather Jones { giveaway} | AURIbuzz
    November 11, 2015 at 7:38 am

[…] 10/23: Diary of a Quilter […]

vashonhavurah
    August 29, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Love the pumpkins! I’m making a placemat from a single pumpkin block for my granddaughter who turns 3 in October. Thanks so much for this perfect and simple design!

10+ Halloween Patterns to Sew - Sew What, Alicia?
    September 1, 2016 at 6:01 am

[…] Patchwork Pumpkin Block […]

Patchwork Fall Quilt Block and Table Runner Sewing Tutorial - Sew Some Stuff
    September 11, 2016 at 3:34 pm

[…] Today’s feature is detailed step by step tutorial for this beautiful patchwork table runner as well as a pillow. Get the complete tutorial here.  […]