Modern Boy Quilt + Tutorial

knock-on-wood-quilt-for-boys

Last Spring at Quilt Market I was flipping through the Riley Blake catalog of their upcoming collections and the first one that caught my eye was a modern collection in blues, browns and neutrals. Then I looked to see who the designer was: Deena Rutter. I wasn’t surprised – I’ve been a fan of Deena’s designs for a long time (see here and here). So when she asked if I’d like to make a project using this Knock on Wood collection I jumped at the chance.

knock-on-wood-logo

Knock on Wood by color Riley Blake

You may remember when I shared these prints in my post about choosing fabric for a quilt.  I think the thing that first spoke to me about this line is the great colors. Then the prints – love that wood-grain print and those modern, organic-looking crosses especially. All together it’s such a great combination that reads “boy” but not juvenile or baby.

knock-on-wood-binding-001

I’ve been wanting (needing) for sometime to make a quilt for my oldest boy. He’s the only one without a ‘big kid’ quilt. These colors and prints were perfect – something that he could use and grow with.

quilt-for-boys-tutorial

I’ve also wanted for a long time to make an updated version of my Simple Stripes quilt tutorial. This is a great quick for a fast assembly. This is the ‘twin size’ version (63″ x 84″). It requires at least 16 1/3 yard cuts (I used all 18 print from the collection to give a little more variety.)

If you want to make it any bigger (73″ x 94″ Twin) I would suggest a 5″ border all the way around. Buy 1 1/2 yards of fabric and cut  8 strips 5 1/2″ wide x width of fabric.

knock-on-wood-boys-quilt-free-tutorial

I love this pattern because not only does it come together quickly, but it’s a great one for showing off large scale prints. From a distance many of these fabrics read blenders (making themselves versatile in lots of projects) and I love the way they make that busier, focus print pop, giving the quilt a modern, abstract feel.

knock-on-wood-riley-blake-quilt-back

I also used one of these strip-y prints prints on the back for fun, and because it might help camouflage any dirt from taking the quilt to lacrosse or football games.

colors-knock-on-wood

I also love the little pops of gold and orange these prints give – providing a few ‘zinger’ spots in a relatively neutral quilt. wood-grain-quilting

To finish it off perfectly, Melissa from Sew Shabby Quilting quilted it with a wood-grain quilting pattern.

Knock on Wood Fabric is available from Pink Castle Fabrics and Fabric.com.

modern-t-shirt-quilt

You can see more projects made with Knock on Wood this week over at Deena Ruter’s blog, including a tutorial for this modern, off-kilter T-shirt quilt made by Jennifer Selos. I think it’s such a fun variation on traditional T-shirt quilts.

reclaimed

I’m also TOTALLY smitten with this pattern Reclaimed made with the collection as well. It was one of my favorites I saw at Market. You can find the pattern in Deena’s shop.

If you’d like to see more projects with Knock on Wood, you can visit these quilters:

Wednesday, 9/14     Dara Tomasson, Stitched Quilting Co.

Thursday, 9/15     Jina Barney, Jina Barney Designz

Friday, 9/16     Amanda Niederhauser, Jedi Craft Girl

Saturday, 9/17     Deena Rutter

easy-diy-twin-quilt-tutorial-1

Jamie
    September 13, 2016 at 7:10 am

This might be your best quilt ever! At first I wasn’t thrilled about the fabric but the way you put it together and with that backing fabric it is amazing!

kirsten
    September 13, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I have recently made a quilt for each of my teenage sons for their 18th birthdays and had trouble finding the “right” design but this is such a perfect quilt pattern for a guy and I love the fabrics you have used!

Amy Smart
      September 14, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Thanks Kirsten! Finding a good “guy” quilt pattern and fabric is always tricky. I’m so glad Deena designed this fabric!

Karen Seitz
    September 13, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Beautiful! You’re right — that’s a quilt that works for all ages. I bet your son is happy with it.

Amy Smart
      September 14, 2016 at 12:46 pm

For the most part, yes. Although, he’d probably be most excited by one of those $10 super-fuzzy blankets from Costco. haha

Elana Goldberg
    September 14, 2016 at 12:00 am

You’re putting me to shame. My 18 year olds are at college now without quilts, because I’m so behind on making each of them one. This fabric line is perfect. I have a bit of a pet peeve about all these gorgeous fabric lines with flowers and other girly images. As a Mom of 5 boys, it’s often tough to find fabric lines that are masculine, exciting and not dull. My kids aren’t into tractors, fishing or things like that, but would not want flowers in their quilts. Thank you to Riley Blake for remembering that there are young men out there with a desire for something sophisticated and filled with some color. And Amy, your son is a lucky guy with that gorgeous quilt that you’ve lovingly made him. I’m inspired to get back to work on my own boys’ quilts.

Amy Smart
      September 14, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Exactly what I loved about this collection too! Masculine with great colors and design. I’m glad you liked it too!

CherylB
    September 14, 2016 at 6:58 am

Love it! And thank you for the link to her website! I’ve been looking for a t shirt tutorial !!!!

Amy Smart
      September 14, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Awesome! Glad to hear it!

Colleen
    September 14, 2016 at 7:25 am

Wow, what a fantastic quilt. I learn so much by visiting your blog.

Amy Smart
      September 14, 2016 at 12:43 pm

I’m so glad! Thanks Colleen.

Peggy
    September 14, 2016 at 8:19 am

Looks great Amy! It does have a very masculine feel to it – I’m sure your son must love his new big kid quilt.

Amy Smart
      September 14, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Thanks Peggy! I think he likes it. Although he says it’s still a little “too fancy.” He’d probably be happiest with a $10 fleece blanket from Costco. lol

Lea
    September 14, 2016 at 10:59 am

Oh, I do like this quilt!! The design, the colors, the fabric, the quilting – all of it. It’s beautiful!

Mary
    September 14, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Amy, that quilt is GORGEOUS! It has beautiful modern look to it. You have such talent to see a fabric line and do something spectacular with it!

Amy Smart
      September 15, 2016 at 11:23 am

Thank you! That is the nicest compliment!

Robby H.
    September 15, 2016 at 12:45 am

That’s such a great fabric line. You’ve really shown it off to advantage in your son’s quilt. There is an age where it’s pretty tough to please them, but he will appreciate the artistry in a few years.

Amy Smart
      September 15, 2016 at 11:23 am

Yes – that is what I’m hoping. In the meantime, I like it and that’s what matters. 😉

Jenny
    September 15, 2016 at 11:10 am

Is this beginner friendly? Love the fabrics! I think it would make a great quilt for a cozy family room.

Amy Smart
      September 15, 2016 at 11:22 am

Yes. SUPER beginner friendly!

beckyroberts
    September 15, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Oh man! I love how masculine this turned out. And I’m just swooning over the wood grain quilting. What a great, inspiring piece. Thanks for sharing your work!

Knock on Wood Blog Tour Recap » Deena Rutter
    September 17, 2016 at 7:33 am

[…] Smart gives us this great tutorial on how to make this quilt that she made for her […]

tierneycreates
    September 17, 2016 at 5:28 pm

This is an extremely awesome quilt!!! I love the design and the fabric choices!