Feels like Fall

As if the cooler temperatures and colors on the trees weren’t enough of a giveaway, the fact that I finally made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for the first time this year can only mean one thing: it’s Fall.

I’ve been in the mood to play with this color palette for a few years now, last week I finally busted out my stash and started hacking it up. I didn’t have a lot of time, so I needed a high-yieldย project – something that I could make to show off a lot of good prints and colors, but finish quickly.

I’ve been in need of a fall table-runner for my kitchen table for a while now. A few weeks ago I found some perfect gold placemats at Target and it motivated me to finally make something that would look good with them.

I decided to go with the ever-popular, always classic quarter-square triangle/hour-glass block. I used the same pattern and method in thisย Hour Glass block tutorial. It’s so great for making an effortless, scrappy quilt.

And because I got carried away cutting fabric, (I probably cut enough to make 5 table runners) I used some of the squares to make a fall-flavored half-square triangle pillow. I laid it out in the traditional Broken Dishes pattern and it makes me happy to look at.

I started with 5″ x 5″ charm squares for both projects and squared-up to 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ for the half-square triangles in the pillow and squared the quarter-square- triangles/hour-glass blocks to 4″ x 4″.

While we’re on the subject and in the mood for fall, I thought I’d share a few pictures from the mountains near my home here in Utah. I has been an especially pretty one, I think.

My husband has been an avid hiker for a few years now. I decided last fall that I needed to do more to take care of my own health and committed to starting to hike with him at least once a week. Can I just say what a difference it has made? No only do I get good exercise in beautiful surroundings, but it also does wonders for clearing my head and heart.

I’ve become a firm believer in the power of getting outside.

I’m glad to say that I made it into the mountains multiple times over the past month+ – and glad that I did because the colors in the hills are already starting to fade. ๐Ÿ™

So there’s a little fall inspiration to get your own creative juices flowing.
Fall and Halloween quilt projects

If you’re looking for more fall sewing and quilting inspiration, check out this post with a whole list of Fall and Halloween projects.

woodstock-collection happy-harvest-collection spooktacular-set

If you’re looking for a great deal on fall-themed fabric, check out the clearance sale happening at the Little Fabric Shop.

They are closing up shop and all fabric is marked down to $6 a yard.

Olga Retterath
    October 9, 2016 at 1:14 am

Hi Amy,
    beautiful work. I like your table runner and the pillow very much.
    Hugs Olga

October 9, 2016 at 6:22 am

With your busy life and commitments, it’s wonderful that you made something that makes you happy looking at it – those are the best!
    When I see your hiking photos here or on IG, I want to break out into old hymns like “For the Beauty of the Earth”. ๐Ÿ™‚

October 9, 2016 at 6:44 am

So beautiful and fitting !!! You chose my colors, my fav pattern broken dishes and fav HST!!! I LOVE everything about Fall!!
    We are heading to Wisconsin in a matter of days for vaca!!
    I love your blog!!!

Amy Smart
      October 9, 2016 at 9:19 am

Thank you Cheryl. Enjoy your vacation!!

Pat S
    October 9, 2016 at 6:50 am

With views like that, who wouldn’t want to get outdoors? Beautiful! Love your patchwork creations; they are inspiring and make me want to go start hacking things up myself. Alas, I have a good sized throw basted and waiting so I think the ‘hacking’ will have to wait a bit.

Karen Goad
    October 9, 2016 at 7:02 am

I am always so envious of where you live! the mountains are so beautiful. I have been to Utah many times as it is one of our favorite places to visit. The scenes you show so pretty – we both love to hike but being a little older than you are we have to have shorter hikes now – the knees and hips come into play! But we still get into the mountains as much as we can – just love them. Love your table runner and pillow

Kristy Thomas
    October 9, 2016 at 9:46 am

Your table runner and quilt are so pretty and really catch the Fall colors here in Utah where we don’t get all the reds like those east of us. I am in Spanish Fork. Where are you?

Amy Smart
      October 10, 2016 at 11:36 am

We found some great reds up American Fork Canyon. Sadly, a lot of them are already gone thanks to last weeks storms. ๐Ÿ™

October 9, 2016 at 11:38 am

These are great!! Do you or might you consider doing a tutorial for the pillow cover?

Phyllis Prom
    October 9, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Hi: I am a landscape art quilter and I loved the photos of the Fall colors and of the trees. You follow through with the colors in your beautiful quilts and accessories, great works of art. Thank you for sharing. Phyllis

October 9, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Fall is here as well. No pretty leaves, but the windows are open at least until it’s nightfall. Table runner and pillow are both great. Enjoy the fall.

Sandi Griepenstroh
    October 9, 2016 at 7:01 pm

Fall in Nebraska is a glorious time, but a bit unpredictable! It makes me want to work with orange fabrics, though! I love your little table runner with all of its fun little half squares! If you get a chance, please stop by my blog and check out what I have been doing with all the orange fabrics in my stash! RenaissanceSandi.blogspot.com

Needle and Foot
    October 9, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Both of your projects are lovely Amy. I am right there with you on the baking. I made some yummy pumpkin chocolate chip bread the other day. Love this time of year!

Karen Schulz
    October 9, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Love love the colours of your cushion and table runner. Hiking is a great thing. We are hoping I will get back to hiking once I have recovered and am so looking forward to it.

Karen Seitz
    October 9, 2016 at 10:03 pm

It’s officially fall at my house too. I made the first pot of chili of the season on Friday. ๐Ÿ™‚

October 10, 2016 at 1:26 am

Reminds me a lot of Alaska! Birch trees in fall … swoon ๐Ÿ˜ Great pillow and table runner!

Martha Cook
    October 10, 2016 at 6:02 am

love your runner and your pillow. the fabrics are perfect!

Cathy Melancon
    October 10, 2016 at 6:45 am

Your fall fabric choices are beautiful! I really like your pillow nd runner too! And the gorgeous outdoor pics!!!! Wow! How lucky you are to be so close to hiking spots and what a sweet idea to hike with your husband!

nadine donovan
    October 10, 2016 at 8:56 am

I am not a hiker- but I do love going for long walks. I too, love this time of the year. It is so beautiful outside. I love the quilty projects that you have made.

Terri Karasch
    October 10, 2016 at 10:22 am

Pretty tablerunner and pillows, great colors for fall. We just took a vacation to Utah, first time there and I loved it! We went to 4 of the National Parks and 2 National Monuments plus Flaming Gorge, where the aspens were stunning! Lots of hikes and lots of pictures. Definitely want to return someday.

October 10, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Quaking aspens? Just love them in the fall. Thanks for the change-of-season inspiration, Amy! And good for you for getting out in nature–always gives me a lift, too.