Christmas Sewing Lists

Over the years I’ve made a bunch of Christmas Lists for Quilters. Everything from Stockings, to Quilts, to Christmas pillows, and handmade gifts. I thought I’d link them all in one handy place for reference!

But first, a peek behind the curtain. I thought you might like to see a glimpse of the glamorous life behind the scenes at Diary of a Quilter. My friend Erika was helping me with shooting pictures for my Gretel fabric post last week and she caught a little of the action that goes into many of my blog photos, including this picture:

Here’s the “keeping it real” behind the scenes version. Doing yoga has come in handy. As do stretchy, elastic waistband pants:

This is the glamour that is my life behind the blog. Not pictured: the hours when I’m sitting in sweats on the couch with my laptop.

So with that little reality check, if you are looking for some holiday sewing ideas, here are a bunch of super cute ones! I’ve recently updated each of the lists with additional new ideas.

My Favorite Christmas Quilt Patterns and Tutorials

Over 15 different Christmas pillow tutorials and patterns

Over 15 handmade Christmas pillow patterns and tutorials

Handmade Stocking Tutorials – a wide variety from simple beginner stockings to pieced and quilted

Gift ideas to make for Quilters including over 25 Pincushions, Needle Books, Thread Catcher, and Sewing Machine Cover tutorials

This post has a couple of repeats from previous lists, but still has lots of cute holiday sewing projects including dish towels, handmade ornaments, and table runners.

Merry Christmas!

Okay, here’s one more behind the scenes shot for you:

We’re in the middle of a mess at home. I’m finally having my front rooms painted. We have this ridiculous 2-story entry way on our house (honestly, it’s the biggest waste of space and drives me a little bit crazy). And for the past 9 years it’s been an ugly shade of brown. But the thought of painting those high ceilings was so intimidating that we kept putting it off. Well, this is the year we finally bit the bullet and hired someone to do it.

We’ve been living in a bit of a chaotic mess for the past week, but it’s almost done and already it’s made such a big difference! So three cheers for messes. (Although, it’s a little bit of a “If you give a Mouse a Cookie” scenario – now that this part of the house is looking so much better, I’m starting to see all the other parts that need updating…)

Once this is done, and the Christmas decorations are in place, I’m making a conscious decision to simplify the rest of the season. I have some projects in mind that I’d really like to sit and sew if time presents itself, but I probably won’t get a lot of handmade projects done this year.  And I’m fine with that. I’ve decided I’m more interested in being present for people and enjoying time with them, as well as getting out into this kind of scenery.

Last year we had the ugliest, brownest winter. Hiking in the snow has become one of my favorite things and last year there was hardly any of it. It was so yuck. So this year I’ve got to soak it in when I can! I love to be out in the snowy mountains it because it’s so clean and quiet. No distractions – including cell coverage. It’s the best therapy there is!

Allison
    December 4, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Strangest question…what lens are you using in the behind the scenes picture?! It looks like the Canon 1.8 or 1.4…I need to buy a new one (grrr). Hope you are doing well and your white entry way looks beautiful!!! I need to do ours but I have been putting it off for years!

Amy
      December 4, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Hah – I feel like I’m always asking YOU about lenses! It’s a 1.4. I have loved it. It compensates for my lack of real photography skills. 😉

I’m so excited about the entry way! Now I can maybe even use it for quilt pictures without having it look like it’s 10 years out of date!

Margaret
    December 4, 2018 at 4:05 pm

You are such an inspiration, Amy, and not because of what you get accomplished, but because of your ability to put things into proper perspective. I know things don’t always work out the way you want, but you always seem to have your priorities in place. I hope you and your family have a Christmas season full of peace and love.

Amy
      December 4, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Aww, thank you for your kind words, Margaret. It’s taken a lot of practice but I think I’m finally getting better at managing my time and priorities. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas as well!!

Barbara Opett
    December 5, 2018 at 6:03 am

Great Post Amy! Thank You for all you do and share! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

farmhousequiltsblog
    December 5, 2018 at 6:26 am

I always love your “keeping it real” posts! I think most readers have no idea what we bloggers do for pretty photos ( and I am no where near as good as it as you, but I’m learning all the time 😉 ). So glad you are going to be happy with your entry. In our previous house we had a lot of pretty, but wasted space. Now that we are in our new ( old!) home we use every single spot and it is just so nice. But we did change everything that was dark brown and painted it white or light yellow 😀

Mary
    December 5, 2018 at 4:33 pm

So upbeat to read. Thanks for sharing and all the fun patterns! Merry Christmas!

Karen Seitz
    December 5, 2018 at 6:21 pm

I always love your photos, and these are no exception. Thanks for consolidating your Christmas lists for us! And Merry Christmas to your whole family!

Rosemaryflower
    December 7, 2018 at 10:40 am

Hey Amy, I painted my two story wasted space family room. It is wasted and would love to build a room, there are some cool ideas in Pinterest. Anyway, I painted mine from a very tall ladder and this is a big room. Just don’t look down.
    Also this family room was painted dark pumpkin pie color and it was so gross. now it is green grey, light.
    I always love all of your amazing projects. I hope one day to sew and sew and do nothing else