Modern gray and white neutrals quilt

Finally sharing pictures of the finished neutrals quilt I’ve been working on. This traditionally styled quilt is made from only shades of white and gray fabrics, giving it a subtle modern feel.
Modern neutrals quilt - gray and white

The friend who this quilt was for, picked the palette herself. She has a very clean, neutral style and wanted something to complement their gorgeous home. (Where we shot these pictures.) She let me pick the design. Because the palette was so simple, I decided to go with a basic layout to – good old half-square triangles. You can never go wrong with HST’s, I tell you.

Modern Neutral Quilt

I originally planned to do a Broken-Dishes layout but once I got the blocks pieced, I tried it and didn’t love it. So I went even more basic with a simple light and dark layout and I LOVE how it turned out. Super simple but effective. A traditional design with a minimalistic color scheme to give it a modern look.

White and gray fabrics

You could use any neutral, low-volume/contrast fabric for a quilt like this. We were a little picky about shades. Seriously, who knew how many different shades of white there are! Well, if you’re an avid painter, you know. We were trying to keep all the whites and grays in the same tone. I also looked for fabric with texture- like chenille, linens, and wovens, to give the quilt some depth since the colors were so muted.

white-quilt-palette-texture

To create this specific quilt I cut ninety-nine 8″ x 8″ squares. I matched up a ‘light’ and a ‘dark’ square into pairs and used this method for making half-square triangle blocks. I squared-up the blocks to 7 1/2″ x 7 1/2″. Then laid out the blocks 9 across by 11 down for a finished throw-size quilt of 63″ x 77″. And of course, you could make this quilt any size you wanted.

Yardage-wise that’s roughly 10 half-yards or 20 quarter-yards (not fat quarters) and 3 3/4 yards for backing.
Gray and white half-square-triangles quilt

The quilting was done by Melissa of Sew Shabby Quilting. I chose the Loop D Loop design. It was another perfect combination of traditional motif on a slightly larger scale to add to the quilt’s modern feel.Grey and white modern neutrals quiltI washed this quilt before I handed it off to make it soft and snuggly. I love the way it shrunk (we used 100% cotton batting to help with that) giving the quilt even more texture. I know I wouldn’t have come up with this color palette on my own, but now I’m itching to play with this muted palette again. I’m also happy to report the recipients have loved it. And that’s the reason we do all is cutting up fabric and sewing it back together, isn’t it?

Linking up to the Blogger’s Quilt festival and Finish It up Friday!

GeminiJen NZ
    May 19, 2015 at 2:28 am

Absolutely love it! Very much on trend and a nice change from brighter, multi-colour quilts. Super work!

DreiPunkteWerk
    May 19, 2015 at 4:02 am

Wonderful 🙂

Caroline, England
    May 19, 2015 at 4:08 am

This is just lovely! I would be happy to have that in my home too 🙂

KathyinMN
    May 19, 2015 at 5:34 am

Its absolutely gorgeous.

Louise
    May 19, 2015 at 6:26 am

That is just beautiful! Very classy. I haven’t spent enough time making HSTs, but this is very inspiring. I have two quilts in the queue, then I’m working on organizing stash. That seems like a good time to make lots HST!

linda
    May 19, 2015 at 6:45 am

Did you use a larger ruler than the 6-1/2 inch to square up the 7-1/2 inch blocks?
    The quilt is beautiful and the photos look like a magazine!

May 19, 2015 at 9:04 am

I did. I used an 8 1/2″ ruler. I also used a friend’s large Eleanor Burns Quilt in Day Half Square Triangle square-up for many of them. Makes it go so fast!

Anita
        August 14, 2016 at 6:59 am

Was your HST 8-1/2″? Is that what you meant by 8-1/2″ ruler?

Debbie
    May 19, 2015 at 7:09 am

This is beautiful! I’ve been wanting to make a neutral quilt like this too…

Ben
    May 19, 2015 at 7:12 am

Wow! What an impressive result! Great job selecting the color tones. I’ll bet those different textures really add to the quilt too.

anna
    May 19, 2015 at 7:28 am

I love this so much Amy, and all those textures!!! Wish I could touch it. 🙂

Francine
    May 19, 2015 at 7:32 am

Stunning quilt. I love that you used fabrics with texture to add interest

Melissa Corry
    May 19, 2015 at 7:43 am

Love, Love, Love!!! Just gorgeous!!

muzikalmama
    May 19, 2015 at 9:30 am

So beautiful! I’ve been waiting to see this final product 🙂 And your final sentence – “and that’s why we do all this cutting up fabric and sewing it back together” – brilliant! Never thought of it quite that way, but that’s pretty much what it is, isn’t it! I kind of want to do a monochromatic quilt like this now, but maybe with sea glass colors!

May 19, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Ooooh. That would be so pretty! I’d love to see it when you do. 😉

Dee
    May 19, 2015 at 10:00 am

Absolutely love it! I am going to start collecting my neutrals so I can make one just like it. I’m not a huge fan of patterns. This would be so pretty in my house. Thanks for sharing….I’ve been waiting ever since you first posted you were doing a neutrals quilt. It’s beautiful.

DonnaLee Q
    May 19, 2015 at 10:06 am

Love the fabric with the textured lines, where did you find that fabric? I would love to have some like it to try my won neutral quilt.

May 19, 2015 at 10:08 pm

I found it at my local quilt shop. I can’t remember the brand though – (and there’s no selvage since it’s a woven.) I’ll look again next time I go and let you know!

May 22, 2015 at 10:42 am

I found them. Those fabrics are from Diamond Textiles and are part of the Primitive Homespun collection.

Frankie
    May 19, 2015 at 10:08 am

Such a gorgeous, calm quilt — love it!

Janie
    May 19, 2015 at 10:45 am

Simply Stunning.

Allison
    May 19, 2015 at 11:26 am

Beautiful! I don’t know I would ever think to try this color palette either, but now I might. Well done!

Teresa
    May 19, 2015 at 11:58 am

Just curious if you use any special laundry detergent when you wash your completed quilts?

May 19, 2015 at 12:14 pm

I try and use a mild detergent when I wash quilts and very little – especially if it’s the first time. There’s a specialty detergent called Quilt Care that I’ve used on delicate quilts before.

Janie
    May 19, 2015 at 12:15 pm

The quilting and piecing are lovely, great job as always! I do not like the color choices at all, no contrast, no fun. I don’t believe
    that ‘modern’ means neutered. Modern is a celebration of color and ,yes, neutrals can and should be a support or backdrop.

Susan
      May 21, 2015 at 8:59 am

Nice that we all have different opinions Janie. However, when you google…define modern quilting….this is the first definition to appear. “Modern quilting is a fresh approach reflecting each quilter’s personality and personal style. Modern quilters embrace functionality, simplicity and minimalism, and use asymmetric designs in their approach. They reinterpret traditional blocks and patterns, and are often inspired by modern art and architecture.”
      So perhaps your negative toned comment and opinion that color/fun IS modern quilting…shouldn’t be included in a comment on a persons personal blog about her own personal style and art?? Amy most definitely embraced simplicity and minimalism. Who were you to define “modern”?
      I feel you could of stated that in your humble opinion the lack of color isn’t something you prefer. It would of been a bit more of a positive statement. And shown respect to the quilter and her work that she so selflessly is sharing with all of us.
      I personally feel it is stunning and very refreshing to see a void of bright color quilt. Very unique and very modern.

Virginia Bevins Fester Day
      September 7, 2016 at 7:22 am

You are dead wrong Janie , Neutral is just that if you look in all the magazines you will get the correct meaning of modern . Celebration of color is just that , color …. Get with it before you speak … I Love This Quilt Jenny

Sandra b
    May 19, 2015 at 1:38 pm

This quilt is stunning! I love everything about it! It has a fresh, contemporary look, but I can see it fitting right in, in a traditional setting….. I think I may just have to make one for myself!! Thanks so much for sharing the pictures…. and for the inspiration!!

Diane
    May 19, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Amy I love it! I am piecing a low volume with greys and whites and a few off whites- but using a 60* triangle ruler. Not a palette I would normally do either! It’s fun to change things up and get excited!
    Thanks for sharing

Renee
    May 19, 2015 at 3:17 pm

This looks so soft and cozy! Love these quiet colors, like freshly fallen snow.

Renee
    May 19, 2015 at 3:17 pm

This looks so soft and cozy! Love these quiet colors, like freshly fallen snow…

sARA
    May 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Amy I am loving this quilt, it is simply beautiful!!

Barb
    May 19, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Wow Amy!! I’ve got to say that this is one of my favorite of all your quilts. It is understated, calm, sophisticated and unbelievably modern. Great job!

Diane
    May 19, 2015 at 8:31 pm

This is beautiful. I love the subtle design – very calming.

Robin
    May 19, 2015 at 11:29 pm

Beautiful! I love the use of varying textures as well. And the quilting suits it perfectly.

Sonia
    May 20, 2015 at 2:19 am

Such a beautiful and striking design. Love it! It looks clean and certainly modern but cozy at the same time.
    Congrats!

Karin
    May 20, 2015 at 5:38 am

What a stunning quilt, my daughter would love something similar in neutral shades of beige – thank you for the inspiration! Which kind of batting would you suggest to use for a soft and supple final result? I’ve used several but my quilts can come out feeling stiff, not cozy at all. I would appreciate your suggestions! Thank you! 🙂

May 20, 2015 at 8:53 am

I used a 100% Cotton Hobbs Heirloom. It costs a little more, but it’s worth it. Even so, this quilt was still a little stiff until I washed it. That softens them up SO much. Pellon Bamboo batting is also luxurious has a gorgeous drape.

amy deason
    May 20, 2015 at 7:20 am

Gorgeous!!!!!! You have inspired me to try this!!!

Buffy
    May 20, 2015 at 8:30 am

I usually love quilts for their scrappiness and color…but this quilt is by far the most elegant quilt (do those words go together??) ever. Such a beautiful piece.

Heather
    May 20, 2015 at 11:37 am

This is SUCH a gorgeous quilt! I am looking to send out a top I’ve pieced for quilting, and am curious what “pattern density” you chose for yours from Sew Shabby Quilting to get this pretty result?

May 21, 2015 at 11:29 am

I did a pretty big version of that pattern – maybe medium density? I’m sure if you ask Melissa, she’ll remember and know what size it was. Hope that helps?

Ginger
    May 20, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Turned out beautiful! Fantastic job!

Jessica
    May 20, 2015 at 3:14 pm

That is stunning!! I have been wanting a nice white quilt for my bed but i couldn’t figure out what pattern!! I have literally been thinking about it for weeks!! That quilt is so perfect! I love it! i wish there was a bundle to make this quilt! Im not very good at picking colour tones.

Janie
    May 20, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Your quilt is simply stunning.

Margo
    May 21, 2015 at 1:55 am

Another lovely quilt! Love your fabric choice, they make a beautiful modern quilt. I used to get a notification from your blog, but now I don’t get anything. Don’t know what happened. I have to come to your blog to see your works.

Mary D
    May 22, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Absolutely stunning. You turned simplicity & quiet into simply beautiful.

Mary Kauffman
    May 23, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Amy, this neautrally shaded quilt is awesome and my son just asked me to make him a quilt for his living room. He said he wanted it in black and white. Would this pattern work for that or can you suggest a good pattern for a geometric style black and white quilt. (Not sure if shades of black and white are okay, but I’ll ask…..it might depend on the pattern.) Thanks!!!

May 23, 2015 at 3:57 pm

I think Black and White quilts are pretty classic. I’d just search “Black and White Quilts” on Pinterest or Google. I’m sure you’ll come up with TONS of inspiration. You could even have your son do it and it might give him some more direction he wants to go in.

kim
    May 24, 2015 at 8:27 pm

I found your blog on crazymomquilts link up. I love your quilt. Would you mind me trying to make one of my own inspired by yours? Would you mind sharing how many different fabrics you use? I saw it was 99 squares. And did u use a lot of the chenille on it? And did thst give you any issue in it? I so love the softness of the whom quilt. What did u do for baking? It is a beautiful quilt again thank you for inspiration and what great photos to show it off..

May 25, 2015 at 11:26 am

Sure! It’s such a pretty palette- I think everyone should make one. 🙂 Yes, I used 99 squares. I couldn’t really say how many different fabrics I used – probably about 20? The chenille was something I had in my stash from a long time ago. I tried finding more, but had a hard time. I only used 3 squares – would have loved more. I didn’t have any trouble with the chenille and love the texture it gives. I also found some really pretty, soft, white corderouy that I used a lot of – though it doesn’t show up as much in the pictures. For backing I used a plain, white sheet. The people that this quilt was for wanted simple, so I kept it clean with white. If I was making one for myself, I probably would have used a big pattern, text or something. Have fun!

Lida
    June 14, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Though I haven’t made a quilt yet, I absolutely fell in love with this quilt. Darn I just ordered store bought grey quilt for my daughter’s college dorm. definitely going to try this. Do you think this would be good for a beginner quilter like me?

June 15, 2015 at 3:55 pm

I do! I think half-square triangles are a great building block. Or you could even just make the same color palette in patchwork squares for even more basic, but equally effective finish.

Lida
        September 8, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Thanks, still contemplating the on doing the grey one like yours. Stunning.

Sharon
    August 6, 2015 at 6:21 pm

i just wanted to say that this quilt is beautiful. I love the textured fabrics included and think that’d my next quilt.

A Magical Quilting Fairy | emilyrsommers
    October 22, 2015 at 9:04 pm

[…] This quilt, the inspiration. These hands, a magical quilting […]

Mabel
    October 28, 2015 at 2:18 pm

I love your design so much, that I decided to make one for my daughter in the gray scale also. My question to you, is what is the scale size of the D Loop design ? It’s absolutely lovely!

jeri
    January 1, 2016 at 1:01 pm

would love to make this in a crib size….would you please give instructions

susanne shepherd
    January 2, 2016 at 6:58 am

Love the quilt. My older daughter asked me to make this for her. I am a confidant beginner quilter. How do I figure out how much fabric I need to make this quilt?

January 4, 2016 at 11:59 am

1/4 yards (not Fat Quarters) are a good option for getting yardage for this quilt. If you are careful, you can cut 5 squares 8″ x 8″ from a 1/4 yard. This quilt used 99 8″ x 8″ squares = at least 20 different 1/4 yards of fabric or any combined total to make up 5 yards. If you want to make it bigger or smaller, just figure out your blocks (7″ x 7″ finished) and the same number of 8″ x 8″ squares (or 5 per 1/4 yard). I hope that helps. let me know if you have more questions.

A January Mood Board: Mellow Lavenders and Grays | Design Impressions
    January 14, 2016 at 3:05 pm

[…] Gray and White Neutrals Quilt from Diary of a Quilter […]

Janine Spencer
    February 15, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Thank you for this post. It was very inspiring. I also loved to learn how you squared up your HST’s. Thank you again.

Melissa
    April 17, 2016 at 8:56 pm

How much yardage did you use? I am planning on making this quilt for my sister’s wedding quilt in blues. 🙂

April 18, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Good question! I added the yardage to the post, since I figured others would have the same question. Here’s the answer: yardage-wise it’s roughly 10 half-yards or 20 quarter-yards (not fat quarters) and 3 3/4 yards for backing.

K.Wiley
    May 10, 2016 at 11:24 am

LOVE THIS!!!!! Questio – Did you pre-wash your fabrics first prior to making this quilt since it appears you have a variety of fabric/textures? I saw a chenille, and corduroy and maybe linen or homespun? Or did you wait till after to wash when quilt was finished to have it shrink together? I love this quilt and saw your post a while back and re-discovered in when suggested to me on Pinterest….so I think I need to start doing a fabric search.

May 10, 2016 at 4:14 pm

Thank you! I didn’t pre-wash my fabrics first, but if you’re unsure about your fabrics origin, it wouldn’t hurt to pre-wash them.

C Bennett
    July 20, 2016 at 1:22 pm

This quilt is absolutely beautiful! I LOVE the neutral color palette of grays and whites! I’m definitely going to try and replicate it for our mtn cabin; with all the wood tones the gray and white will just add to the relaxed feel.

Sabiena Heaton
    August 10, 2016 at 6:31 am

Love it! It is so beautiful… One day, when I have perfected my machine quilting skills, I will make something like this.

Marie Françoise
    August 14, 2016 at 4:46 am

I love it 💕💕💕💕💕

Kristen
    September 30, 2016 at 7:09 pm

This is gorgeous. I am planning a similar quilt for my grandmother (she inspired me to begin quilting, so I want to make something special for her). So far, I have only used pre-cut batting for quilts, but I can’t find any similar to the size of your quilt. Did you buy yours in bulk and cut a piece?

Lyn
    March 1, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Hi, your neutral quilt is gorgeous.I have only stumbled on this article tonight by accident. I am completely new to quilting, and bought lots of neutral material before Xmas. All off whites, beige and grey, but extremely light, as our house is fairy plain. I have been putting off making the first cuts, but now I have seen such a wonderful finished quilt, I am so eager to start mine. Can’t thank you enough.