Easy DIY Star Baby Quilt Tutorials

I love a simple, classic star quilt block. They’re timeless and traditional, but can easily be given a modern, graphic look because of it’s simplicity and by enlarging its size. Today I’m sharing the measurements for a very simple baby quilt from this traditional block that can be made quickly and easily. It’s a great beginner project as well.star baby quilt tutorials

Yesterday and today at the BERNINA We All Sew site, I’m sharing a simple tutorial for the easy star baby quilt  on the right in the LeMoyne, or Lone Star variation.  On this site, I’ll be sharing the measurements and construction for another variation of the star quilt on the left. Construction is similar, but fabric requirements and layout are slightly different.

Lone Star quilt tutorial by Amy Smart

Here’s to two fun variations on the same theme, not to mention a quick way to use pre-cut 10″ squares to make a quick baby gift or wall hanging. Click here for Part 1 – construction of the Lone Star Baby quilt and here for Part 2 – finishing the quilt at the We All Sew site.

Layer Cake Star Baby Quilt TutorialThis quilt variation finishes at 40″ x 40″. It is a great project for using pre-cut 10″ squares (or Layer Cake squares), calling for at least 21 10″ x 10″ squares. It could be made very clean and simple or super scrappy – lots of room for variations on a classic quilt block.

Baby star quilt fabric requirements

Fabric requirements:

• 6 light 10″ x 10″ squares
  • 6 colored 10″ x 10″ squares
  • 4 light 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ squares
  • 16 strips 2 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ and 4 squares 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ for borders (cut these from yardage or from remaining pre-cut 10″ squares)
  • 1 1/4 yard backing
  • 3/8 yard binding

star quilt tutorial part 2-001

Draw a diagonal line on the back of the six 10″ x 10″ light squares. Match them up with a colored square and sew a 1/4″ seam down both sides of the drawn line.

sew-two-seams-HST

Repeat with all six pairs.

square-up-half-square-triangle

Using a ruler and rotary cutter, cut all six pairs on the drawn line to create 2 half-square triangle blocks from each pair, for a total of 12 half-square triangle blocks. Press seams toward the dark fabric. Square up each block to 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″

Star Baby Quilt Tutorial layout

With solid light 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ blocks in the four corners, layout 12 half-square blocks in a star motif – 4 blocks across by 4 blocks down. You can use this layout or create one of your own. There are lots of options and variations.

Sew blocks into four rows Press seams alternating directions for each row. (For example press all seams to the right on odd rows – 1 &3 and press all seams to the left on even rows 2 & 4.) Then sew four rows together, pressing seams all the same direction.

easy star baby quilt tutorial

To add borders, sew two sets of  four 2 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ strips end to end. Decide which side of the quilt you want to sew them to and press the seams in alternating directions from the seams on that side of the quilt. Sew two borders to opposite sides of the quilt. Press seams toward the borders.

For final borders, sew two more sets of four 2 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ strips end to end and sew a 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ square to either end. Repeat the process of pressing seams alternating directions from the seams on the quilt side. Pin border at seams and sew final borders to quilt. Press seams toward the borders.

If you would prefer non-pieced borders cut four strips 2 1/2″ x the width of fabric and attach them Here is a simple quilt border tutorial.

pieced quilt back

This quilt calls for a 1 1/4 yard piece of fabric (roughly 42″ x 42″). This is the most economical size for backing the quilt, but will be just slightly larger than the quilt front. If you baste carefully, it should still be big enough all the way around with excess backing fabric on all four sides before you quilt it. If not you may want to piece a larger back.

I extended my backing fabric by using remnants from my layer cake to make a fun pieced strip through the back of my quilt. There are lots of options for quilting you quilt. Here is a simple quilting tutorial. Big thanks to Sew Shabby Quilting for the quilting on this one.

For my binding I cut four strips of fabric 2 1/2″ x the width of the fabric (42″). Sew them together end to end to create one long binding strip. This tutorial shows how to bind – or finish – a quilt.

IMG_7277    Fabrics used for these quilts:

• (left) Emmy Grace by BariJ for Art Gallery Fabrics (available here)
  • (right) Best Day Ever by April Rosenthal for Moda (still available here, here, and here)

giant lone star quiltIf you’re looking for a larger variation on this design, check out Jeni Baker’s Giant Vintage Star Tutorial.

Patricia Cash
    July 9, 2015 at 6:28 am

Love this quilt, thanks for the tutorial

amanda
    July 9, 2015 at 7:49 am

thank you for this tutorial! i would like to make birthday gifts for some babies, but i am running out of time! so this quick baby quilt is perfect timing!

Elsie Pop
    July 9, 2015 at 8:30 am

This is the first quilting tutorial that I’ve read which makes me think I could do it! Thanks! xx

Lauren Deel
    July 9, 2015 at 10:13 am

I love this! The two variations are just great. Just goes to show: it doesn’t have to be time-consuming and complicated to be beautiful. 🙂

Janie
    July 9, 2015 at 11:04 am

Beautiful colors and great tutorial, thanks for sharing!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts
    July 9, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Cute and easy~ I love it!!

Louise
    July 9, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I’m just finishing the echo quilting on a giant star (size of Jeni Baker’s) as a wedding gift for a friend of my daughter. She is getting married on Pioneer Day and her theme is western. I made a large blue and red star with light and dark of each. I have no idea how to show you, but trust me, it is awesome. I love, love, love big stars!

Amy Smart
      July 13, 2015 at 7:32 am

OH that sounds amazing! What a great gift!

Mary
    July 9, 2015 at 7:28 pm

These quilts are awesome! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I’ll certainly be making one for my grandbaby due in January.

Buffy
    July 10, 2015 at 6:56 am

Excited to try these out. I just made my first quilt that incorporated a star last week and i am in love with it. I’m not great at HST and matching up my points but i find the more I do it, the better I get. Somehow, precuts are helping that issue too. Love these 2 designs.

Sigi G
    July 10, 2015 at 9:17 am

Love your tutorials with the two versions. Will have to try these quick beautiful quilt patterns. Thank You Amy!

Jen
    July 11, 2015 at 6:45 am

This is adorable. Love the colors.

robin
    July 11, 2015 at 10:03 am

Thank you thank you. Your design and colors are wonderful.
    Looking forward to trying this. I have only made 2 quilts so this appears to be on my skill level. (I hope)

Amy Smart
      July 13, 2015 at 7:31 am

Yes! I think you can do it! It’s a great beginner quilt!

Anne
    July 15, 2015 at 7:14 am

I love all the collections pictured.

Patsy
    July 15, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Thank you for the baby quilt tutorial! It is perfect for a baby gift. Love it!

Kate
    July 20, 2015 at 7:24 am

I really like the big star pattern, thank you for sharing

ClaudIa Dunitz
    July 28, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Made up the top today – thank you SO much for the awesome tutorial! I didn’t have a layer cake, so I cut all the squares from my stash. It took five hours, from selecting fabrics to photography. It looks fabulous!!! Thanks again. I will most likely make another out of some Kaffee Fassett florals I have left over from another project.

Marie wilde
    November 6, 2015 at 5:43 am

I have a gorgeous layer cake of reproduction flannels and would love to make this quilt. I know flannels can be difficult when multiple seams are involved at one point. Amy, do you think this would work with flannels? Thanks for your advice.

Amy Smart
      November 7, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I think this would be a great quilt – and beautiful – with flannels. The blocks are bigger so there aren’t quite as many seams. There might be a little bit of bulk in the center, but that’s it. I say go for it!

Marie wilde
        November 9, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words. Will send a pic when done.

Quilt Therapy
    February 9, 2016 at 5:01 am

[…] “Star Baby Quilt” free quilt pattern & tutorial designed by Amy Smart from Diary of … […]

Free 40″ x 40″ Patterns – Quilt Pimp
    March 30, 2016 at 8:45 am

[…] Star Baby Quilt by Amy Smart from Diary of a Quilter […]

Japanese Baby Quilt – A Bag Full Of Fabrics
    June 14, 2016 at 1:26 am

[…] trouvé le quilt parfait sur le site Diary of a Quilter. J’adore son blog et elle a toujours de très jolis quilts à nous montrer. En tant que parfaite […]

Joyce Kay
    July 13, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Our Women’s Club with the local Elk’s Club made a bunch with the Lone Star in 2 colors with the same background, then backed them with flannel, no batting. These were then folded in 3rds and rolled to go into backpacks for officers to keep in their cars for when they have to remove a child from their home. The backpacks have other items also but they wanted a snuggly blanket for comfort. I figured up yardage and made kits up so some of the ladies could take them home to make.

Amy Smart
      July 14, 2016 at 5:53 pm

That is so awesome! What a great cause. I’m so glad to hear!

Lynn Douglass
    August 23, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I’m in charge of a small group of quilters here on the Central California Coast. I decided to use your tutorial for an online QAL, giving the group until the end of September to complete their quilts. Everyone got so excited, most of them already have their tops done! I’m still trying to choose fabrics! LOL! We’re on Facebook as the Central Coast Modern Quilting Friendship Group, if you want to check out the quilts. Thanks for such a great tutorial!