Fall and Halloween Quilt Inspiration

Fall and Halloween quilt projects

I love fall. Love every part of it. It’s time to start pulling out my fall decorations and quilts. Now that it’s October 1st, I thought I’d share some Fall and Halloween inspiration with links to some of my favorites,  including re-visiting some oldies from the past.

halloween pumpkin patchwork pillow-001

One of my favorite – and most popular – recent projects is this super simple, scrappy Patchwork Pumpkin quilt block. I made mine from all scraps. You can find the tutorial here.

The tutorial contains an added variation for making a whole pumpkin-patch table runner.

halloween Boo to you! quilt-001

This simple Halloween quilt is perfect for showing off cute novelty Halloween prints. This quilt was the prototype for this free Moda Bake Shop tutorial if you want to make something similar.

Halloween modern quilt

This is our Halloween quilt I made a few years ago. I wanted to do something modern in Halloween colors that would use up lots of scraps as well as the assortment of novelty prints I’d collected over the years.  This is a fun style if you’re not as into novelty prints, but want to make something just in fall or Halloween colors, like this one by Allison Harris, which very much inspired my own quilt.

Another quilt using Halloween colors, but not overtly Halloween-y is this Disappearing nine-patch tutorial from Jedi Craft Girl.

cat quilt

This chevron quilt tutorial by The Little Fabric Shop is one of the best chevron tutorials I’ve come across. I’ve got it pinned to use sometime soon. And I love it in the fall-ish/Halloween-y fabrics.Halloween quilts collageSome other fun Halloween-inspired blocks and quilts include (many on my to-make list) include the Large Hexagon Quilt by Polkadot Chair,  Ghost mug rug by Patchwork Posse, these Barn Bats by Elizabeth Hartman, Candy Corn Bunting by Modern Handcraft,  and of course a good spider web quilt. The Moda Bake Shop has this great Spiders and Webs quilt tutorial by Heidi Grohs.

If Halloween is not your thing, here are some fall/autumn-themed projects to inspire you. This is my version of a Modern Maples quilt – taking a traditional maple leaf block and blowing it up. You can find a free tutorial for the Modern Maples block here.

fall table runner

Some years (most) I haven’t had time to make a big fall-themed project, but the colors are in my head and begging to be played with. So I get that out of my system by making small projects like Table Runners. Here is a simple tutorial for a quilt-as-you-go table runner.

Another example would be a quick mini quilt. This one is made with the 2 1/2″ charm squares (Quilter’s Candy by Moda). I supplemented with more prints from my stash. Tutorial here.

fall applique pillow

Other fun projects include this applique tree from Cluck Cluck Sew

Lori Holt Apple blocks

Lori Holt’s adorable apple blocks. I need to make some of these one of these days…

Gratitude quilt words

Probably my all-time favorite fall-themed quilt is my Gratitude quilt I made for Thanksgiving a few years ago. This is one that had been on my bucket-list for a long time. It’s a record of the things I am most thankful for.

Gratitude quilt fenceI wrote this as a pattern for the book Sweet Celebrations with Moda Bake Shop. You could also use any traditional signature block to create your own similar result.

If you’re interested, you can see more Fall and Halloween sewing and quilting ideas on this pinboard

Follow Amy Smart’s board fall sewing projects on Pinterest.

October 1, 2015 at 6:10 am

Thanks for including my hexagon quilt! I’ve loved that pumpkin pillow for a few years. I think I’m going to make one for myself this year 🙂

October 1, 2015 at 6:31 am

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

October 1, 2015 at 6:34 am

I keep thinking I should make something for the Fall season. Thanks for making me think of it again. Hopefully I will get moving on it. : )

October 1, 2015 at 6:44 am

I especially love the patchwork pillow using indigo and various shades of orange and rust instead the traditional black. I had just spotted the pillow in Pinterest yesterday and here it is today on Bloglovin’, so I guess I’d better make it myself!!

October 1, 2015 at 8:16 am

Now I need to make Every single one of those! Excellent blog post!

October 1, 2015 at 8:22 am

Love all your wonderful fall ideas. What a great post. Thank you for all the great ideas for fall projects.

SanDra B
    October 1, 2015 at 8:22 am

What a great post! All these projects are great….my favorite is the Gratitude quilt…love the fabrics so much…it was funny, as. I was reading the post, I was thinking that it would be nice to see a close-up, and there it was, a little further down the post! Thanks for always inspiring us by sharing all the quilty goodness!!

October 1, 2015 at 11:16 am

I love your photos and quilts, lovely all. Thanks for sharing!

October 1, 2015 at 12:32 pm

These are such beautiful and fun quilt projects! I need to work on some new Autumn quilts/table runners myself. It seems every time I turn around, one of my daughters is “stealing” them! LOL It’s true. So I need to get busy. Thanks for sharing these lovely photo’s.

October 1, 2015 at 2:31 pm

I love that pumpkin pillow how inspirational…Im smelling apple cider candles watching cold rain outside , had a bowl of soup and thinking about your pillow for napping!!

October 1, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Karen Seitz
    October 1, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I love your Gratitude quilt and want to make my own some day. I also have the barn bats tutorial flagged for “someday.” Thanks for a great roundup!

October 1, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Fun ideas! I am working on a halloween quilt now,but really like the gratitude quilt idea. Something to add to my wish list! Love to see what you have been up to. 🙂

Rachel @ Quiltineering
    October 1, 2015 at 9:15 pm

So much fabulous eye candy! Thanks for sharing 🙂

October 2, 2015 at 7:33 am

I made your pumpkin pillow last fall- my favorite fall pillow! Thanks for the inspiration!

Andrea T
    October 2, 2015 at 8:27 am

Thanks for this great round up! All these pretties put me a a great mood 🙂

October 2, 2015 at 9:55 am

I love Fall too. I have so many fall UFO’s and I’m a “seasonal” quilter so I’d better start. (I quilt year round but like to be working on the current season. Your post did offer one dismaying reminder. I have a bunch of apple blocks I won at the guilds block of the month several years ago. Where did I put them?

October 2, 2015 at 10:38 am

Thank you so much, Amy! Of course, you’re exactly right! I have bought some beautiful material in Fall colors and was looking for what to do and now I know. We will have a beautiful Modern Maple Leaf table runner! Huzzah! I am so excited that I can bring these colors into my house and enrich that feeling of the changing of the seasons for my family. I tell you, I love sewing and I’m so glad that I have started! Those little ghost mug rugs are adorable! Who wouldn’t be cheered up using those? I really can’t thank you enough, and all the other creative, dedicated bloggers out there, who share your time and talents to help others learn and grow. I just can’t wait to get myself out of bed and go sew this morning! Believe me, as a handicapped person with constant chronic pain, that in itself is a gift. Sometimes you do more than you know when you’re writing these tutorials. So, thank you very much again! I’m off to go sew!

Brenda Ackerman
    October 2, 2015 at 12:34 pm

You have shared some magnificent tutorial links. There are several that I will be adding to my to do list. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

Carol C.
    October 3, 2015 at 10:53 am

Thanks so much for sharing these!! Only problem — I NEED to make them all! I have always loved your Thanksgiving quilt. And I know I need to make a pumpkin pillow or table runner. Thanks so much!

Chris Wokral
    October 4, 2015 at 11:52 pm

Your Gratitude Quilt is beautiful! It’s just perfect to this time of year, as the fall season is upon us.

Lisa Marie
    October 6, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I just love fall and all the fall themed decorations. Thanks for sharing these inspiring projects!

debbie Gallett
    October 6, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Lots of great fall quilt ideas. Thanks

Melanie C
    October 6, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Love all of these projects especially Modern Maples!

October 12, 2015 at 8:13 pm

The stripy Halloween quilt just jumped right out at me. I love it! And I can totally see a charming Christmas one in the same vein. Good thing there are so many cute fabrics that are holiday-themed! What a great idea.

fall sewing projects
    October 9, 2016 at 9:40 am

[…] If you’re looking for more fall sewing and quilting inspiration, check out this post with a whole list of Fall and Halloween projects. […]