Easy DIY Star Baby Quilt Tutorials

Here are the tutorials for two variations on a very simple baby quilt featuring the traditional Lone Star (or LeMoyne Star) and Morning Star (or Ribbon Star) quilt blocks that can be made quickly and easily. It’s a great beginner project as well. (This post was updated in 2019.)

star baby quilt tutorials

I love a simple, classic star quilt block. They’re timeless and traditional, but can easily be given a modern, graphic look because of its simplicity and by enlarging its size. These two versions are very similar in construction and look, with a few minor variations. Both patterns are designed for using precut 10″ x 10″ squares – perfect for Layer Cake precuts, especially if you have leftovers from other projects.

If you would prefer a printable PDF version of three of these star baby quilts in one place you can find it here for $3.00.

The first variation is the Lone Star (also called the 8 pointed LeMoyne Star) baby quilt. This quilt finishes at 39″ x 39″.

Fabric Requirements:

• 4 light squares 9½” x 9½”
  • 4 light squares 10” x 10”
  • 8 dark squares 10” x 10” (the quilt looks best if these are a variety of different prints)
  • 4 strips 2” x 42” for borders
  • 1 ¼ yard for backing
  • 3/8 yard for binding (cut four strips 2 1/2″ x Width of Fabric)

Start this project by taking the twelve 10” x 10” squares (4 light and 8 dark) and cutting them in half once on the diagonal.

This will give you a total of 24 triangles – 8 light background triangles and 16 dark triangles to make the center star motif.

Before you start sewing, use the diagram above to lay out all of your pieces – 4 background 9½” x 9½” squares, 8 background triangles, and 16 dark triangles. This gives you the opportunity to play with color and get your eight star points well balanced.

Sew the triangle pieces into twelve half-square triangle blocks. Match up the long diagonal edges and sew them together carefully using a ¼” seam allowance.  As you sew these bias edges, carefully guide the triangles through the machine without pulling on the fabric so that you don’t stretch the bias (diagonal) edges.

Press seams to one side. Then square-up your blocks so that they are all an accurate 9½” x 9½” square. (This is an important step, or your quilt top could get misshapen.)

Then sew the blocks into four rows of four blocks. Press seams to the left on rows 1 and 3 and press seams to the right on rows 2 and 4.

Sew rows together to get pieced quilt top. Opposing seam allowances should match up and nest together, helping points to match up as well. Press row seams all the same direction.

Add borders:

Trim two of the 2” x 42” strips to 2” x 36 ½”and pin the strips to opposite sides of the quilt and sew in place using a ¼” seam allowance. Press seams toward the border strips.

Trim the remaining two strips to 2” x 39 ½” and sew them to remaining sides. Press seams toward the border strips.

Finishing:

You can see the steps I used to baste, quilt, and bind – all of the finishing process for this quilt here.

For my binding I cut four strips of fabric 2 1/2″ x the width of the fabric (42″). Sew them together end to end to create one long binding strip. This tutorial shows how to bind – or finish – a quilt.

Layer Cake Star Baby Quilt Tutorial

This quilt variation finishes at 40″ x 40″. This is another great project for using pre-cut 10″ squares (or Layer Cake squares), calling for at least 21 10″ x 10″ squares. It could be made very clean and simple or super scrappy – lots of room for variations on a classic quilt block. This quilt also shows a different scrappy border variation that would also work for the Lone Star variation.

Baby star quilt fabric requirements

Fabric requirements:

• 6 light 10″ x 10″ squares
  • 6 colored 10″ x 10″ squares
  • 4 light 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ squares
  • 16 strips 2 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ and 4 squares 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ for borders (cut these from yardage or from remaining pre-cut 10″ squares)
  • 1 1/4 yard backing
  • 3/8 yard binding (cut into 4 strips 2 1/2″ x width of fabric)

star quilt tutorial part 2-001

Draw a diagonal line on the back of the six 10″ x 10″ light squares. Match them up with a colored square and sew a 1/4″ seam down both sides of the drawn line.

sew-two-seams-HST

Repeat with all six pairs.

square-up-half-square-triangle

Using a ruler and rotary cutter, cut all six pairs on the drawn line to create 2 half-square triangle blocks from each pair, for a total of 12 half-square triangle blocks. Press seams toward the dark fabric. Square up each block to 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″. (Don’t skip this step!)

Star Baby Quilt Tutorial layout

With solid light 9 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ blocks in the four corners, layout 12 half-square blocks in a star motif – 4 blocks across by 4 blocks down. You can use this layout or create one of your own. There are lots of options and variations.

Sew blocks into four rows Press seams alternating directions for each row. (For example press all seams to the right on odd rows – 1 &3 and press all seams to the left on even rows 2 & 4.) Then sew four rows together, pressing seams all the same direction.

easy star baby quilt tutorial

To add borders, sew two sets of four 2 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ strips end to end. Decide which side of the quilt you want to sew them to and press the seams in alternating directions from the seams on that side of the quilt. Sew these two borders to opposite sides of the quilt. Press seams toward the borders.

For final borders, sew two more sets of four 2 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ strips end to end and sew a 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ square to either end. Repeat the process of pressing seams alternating directions from the seams on the quilt side. Pin border at seams and sew final borders to quilt. Press seams toward the borders.

If you would prefer non-pieced borders cut four strips 2 1/2″ x the width of fabric and attach them Here is a simple quilt border tutorial.

pieced quilt back

This quilt calls for a 1 1/4 yard piece of fabric (roughly 42″ x 42″). This is the most economical size for backing the quilt, but will be just slightly larger than the quilt front. If you baste carefully, it should still be big enough all the way around with excess backing fabric on all four sides before you quilt it. If not you may want to piece a larger back.

I extended my backing fabric by using remnants from my layer cake to make a fun pieced strip through the back of my quilt. There are lots of options for quilting your quilt. Here is a simple quilting tutorial. Big thanks to Sew Shabby Quilting for the quilting on this one.

IMG_7277

Fabrics used for these quilts: (left) Emmy Grace by BariJ for Art Gallery Fabrics (available here) and (right) Best Day Ever by April Rosenthal for Moda.

I’ve since added a third variation of this giant star baby quilt. You can find this Safari Party versions here.

giant lone star quilt

If you’re looking for a larger variation on this design, check out Jeni Baker’s Giant Vintage Star Tutorial.

Patricia Cash
    July 9, 2015 at 6:28 am

Love this quilt, thanks for the tutorial

amanda
    July 9, 2015 at 7:49 am

thank you for this tutorial! i would like to make birthday gifts for some babies, but i am running out of time! so this quick baby quilt is perfect timing!

Elsie Pop
    July 9, 2015 at 8:30 am

This is the first quilting tutorial that I’ve read which makes me think I could do it! Thanks! xx

Lauren Deel
    July 9, 2015 at 10:13 am

I love this! The two variations are just great. Just goes to show: it doesn’t have to be time-consuming and complicated to be beautiful. 🙂

Janie
    July 9, 2015 at 11:04 am

Beautiful colors and great tutorial, thanks for sharing!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts
    July 9, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Cute and easy~ I love it!!

Louise
    July 9, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I’m just finishing the echo quilting on a giant star (size of Jeni Baker’s) as a wedding gift for a friend of my daughter. She is getting married on Pioneer Day and her theme is western. I made a large blue and red star with light and dark of each. I have no idea how to show you, but trust me, it is awesome. I love, love, love big stars!

Amy Smart
      July 13, 2015 at 7:32 am

OH that sounds amazing! What a great gift!

Mary
    July 9, 2015 at 7:28 pm

These quilts are awesome! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I’ll certainly be making one for my grandbaby due in January.

Buffy
    July 10, 2015 at 6:56 am

Excited to try these out. I just made my first quilt that incorporated a star last week and i am in love with it. I’m not great at HST and matching up my points but i find the more I do it, the better I get. Somehow, precuts are helping that issue too. Love these 2 designs.

Sigi G
    July 10, 2015 at 9:17 am

Love your tutorials with the two versions. Will have to try these quick beautiful quilt patterns. Thank You Amy!

Jen
    July 11, 2015 at 6:45 am

This is adorable. Love the colors.

robin
    July 11, 2015 at 10:03 am

Thank you thank you. Your design and colors are wonderful.
    Looking forward to trying this. I have only made 2 quilts so this appears to be on my skill level. (I hope)

Amy Smart
      July 13, 2015 at 7:31 am

Yes! I think you can do it! It’s a great beginner quilt!

Anne
    July 15, 2015 at 7:14 am

I love all the collections pictured.

Patsy
    July 15, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Thank you for the baby quilt tutorial! It is perfect for a baby gift. Love it!

Kate
    July 20, 2015 at 7:24 am

I really like the big star pattern, thank you for sharing

ClaudIa Dunitz
    July 28, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Made up the top today – thank you SO much for the awesome tutorial! I didn’t have a layer cake, so I cut all the squares from my stash. It took five hours, from selecting fabrics to photography. It looks fabulous!!! Thanks again. I will most likely make another out of some Kaffee Fassett florals I have left over from another project.

Marie wilde
    November 6, 2015 at 5:43 am

I have a gorgeous layer cake of reproduction flannels and would love to make this quilt. I know flannels can be difficult when multiple seams are involved at one point. Amy, do you think this would work with flannels? Thanks for your advice.

Amy Smart
      November 7, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I think this would be a great quilt – and beautiful – with flannels. The blocks are bigger so there aren’t quite as many seams. There might be a little bit of bulk in the center, but that’s it. I say go for it!

Marie wilde
        November 9, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words. Will send a pic when done.

Quilt Therapy
    February 9, 2016 at 5:01 am

[…] “Star Baby Quilt” free quilt pattern & tutorial designed by Amy Smart from Diary of … […]

Free 40″ x 40″ Patterns – Quilt Pimp
    March 30, 2016 at 8:45 am

[…] Star Baby Quilt by Amy Smart from Diary of a Quilter […]

Japanese Baby Quilt – A Bag Full Of Fabrics
    June 14, 2016 at 1:26 am

[…] trouvé le quilt parfait sur le site Diary of a Quilter. J’adore son blog et elle a toujours de très jolis quilts à nous montrer. En tant que parfaite […]

Joyce Kay
    July 13, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Our Women’s Club with the local Elk’s Club made a bunch with the Lone Star in 2 colors with the same background, then backed them with flannel, no batting. These were then folded in 3rds and rolled to go into backpacks for officers to keep in their cars for when they have to remove a child from their home. The backpacks have other items also but they wanted a snuggly blanket for comfort. I figured up yardage and made kits up so some of the ladies could take them home to make.

Amy Smart
      July 14, 2016 at 5:53 pm

That is so awesome! What a great cause. I’m so glad to hear!

Lynn Douglass
    August 23, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I’m in charge of a small group of quilters here on the Central California Coast. I decided to use your tutorial for an online QAL, giving the group until the end of September to complete their quilts. Everyone got so excited, most of them already have their tops done! I’m still trying to choose fabrics! LOL! We’re on Facebook as the Central Coast Modern Quilting Friendship Group, if you want to check out the quilts. Thanks for such a great tutorial!

Arleen
    September 6, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Love it

Handmade Holidays Nov. 19: Star Bright (Star-Themed Gifts!) | Sew Mama Sew
    November 9, 2016 at 10:52 pm

[…] Star Baby Quilt Make an Easy Star Baby Quilt from Diary Of A Quilter for the special little ones in your life. […]

Monday Goals | DesertSky Quilting
    December 12, 2016 at 7:07 am

[…] Cut out pieces for blocks for new baby quilt. […]

Monday Goals | DesertSky Quilting
    December 19, 2016 at 7:07 am

[…] out pieces for blocks for new baby quilt. Did […]

Monday Goals | DesertSky Quilting
    December 26, 2016 at 7:04 am

[…] HST for new baby quilt. Finished – shown not necessarily as final […]

Mid-Week Progress | DesertSky Quilting
    December 28, 2016 at 7:56 pm

[…] out a border, because I’m not sure I have enough fabric to do it like the original, found HERE. We’ll see. I know there is some. Otherwise, I’ll do something else with the border, […]

Monday Goals | DesertSky Quilting
    January 2, 2017 at 7:27 am

[…] together Star Baby. Ready for borders next […]

Alicia O'Brien
    January 6, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Hi there, what do you mean about pressing seams in one direction or another? Buying fabric tomorrow !! So excited!

Thx Amy!

Amy Smart
      January 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Basically it means that you’re pressing your seam allowances over to one side (rather than pressing them open). Most patterns will tell you which direction to press your seams (right or left, toward the dark, etc). This will play a role later when you assemble the blocks so that you avoid as many overlapping seams as possible.

Alicia O'Brien
    January 6, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Also! If I were buying this in metres how many metres would I need of both light and dark fabric? Thx!

Monday Goals | DesertSky Quilting
    January 8, 2017 at 11:03 pm

[…] Add borders to Star Baby. […]

Monday Goals | DesertSky Quilting
    January 16, 2017 at 4:59 am

[…] borders to Star Baby. ran out of time, not […]

Monday Goals | DesertSky Quilting
    January 23, 2017 at 5:26 am

[…] borders to Star Baby. Still […]

Monday Goals | DesertSky Quilting
    January 30, 2017 at 5:52 am

[…] borders to Star Baby. Sigh. Still not done – though I did cut some strips to move in that […]

Monday Goals | DesertSky Quilting
    January 31, 2017 at 11:03 pm

[…] borders to Star Baby. […]

Baby quilt – handwroughtquilts
    March 21, 2017 at 11:40 pm

[…] a few weeks ago. The note on the bottom is my info for recreating it. But it’s originally a free pattern from Amy Smart of Diary of […]

Deborah
    March 25, 2017 at 8:08 am

Is this baby quilt a crib quilt size?

Amy Smart
      March 25, 2017 at 2:08 pm

THey are 40″ x 40″. So probably more of a baby size.

Sawtooth Star baby quilt, a finished quilt – handwroughtquilts
    March 29, 2017 at 11:33 pm

[…] Bryan House Quilts (colours), SOTAK handmade (colours, pattern), and Diary of a Quilter (actual […]

Faded Memories Star Quilt | Penny Rose Fabrics
    May 10, 2017 at 2:54 pm

[…] make this quilt, I used this GREAT TUTORIAL by Amy Smart. This was an easy quilt to whip up, and only takes a few 10″ squares, which is […]

Lucy
    July 27, 2017 at 10:43 am

Hi Amy,

Just a note to let you know that I have featured this beautiful Star Baby quilt on the By Your Hands blog today. Would love to have you stop by http://www.byyourhands.com!

Jenn
    August 29, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Love this, but I have no baby. Would you just double everything in size to make it an adult size?

Mary
    August 8, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Classic and beautiful.

BeagleMom
    May 6, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Cute quilt. Why charge $3 for PDF pattern? Other bloggers have a “PDF” link for their free patterns.

Amy
      May 7, 2019 at 11:13 am

Yep- every blogger is different. Sometimes I offer free PDF’s and sometimes I charge a nominal fee because I this is my work. I create a lot of free content and the small charge helps me earn a living. And it’s optional. All of the content for this tutorial is still free if you don’t want to buy the PDF.