Last minute handmade gifts

pocket-handwarmer-tutorial-1

This week I shared a guest post on I Heart Naptime for these fun and fast, felt and flannel pocket handwarmers tutorial. They’re a great last-minute gift you can make in bulk and keep by the door as a little gift to someone who needs both hands and heart warmed.

fill-rice-hand-warmers

As we’re staring down the barrel of the last days before Christmas, I’ve rounded up a bunch of ideas and tutorials for last-minute handmade gifts. All of these come together quickly and use up something you might already have on hand (i.e. fabric ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) to save you that additional trip out in the cold.

packaging

Every year I try to get organized ahead of time and enjoy the peace and magic of the season, so that I’m not rushing around like a crazy person. Some years I’m more successful than others.ย ย This year I’ve got Christmas cards spread out on the family room floor – hopefully I’ll get those out today. I’ve also crossed “binge-eating half a batch of chocolate cookies”, “sick kid on the couch”, and “crying at Costco” off my to-do list, so I’m counting that as good progress! haha.

last-minute-handmade-gifts

Here are some quick ideas for your last-minute gift creating. (Or pin this post for next year. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

notebook-cover

Fabric-covered notebook tutorialย variations here and here

christmas-gifts-crazy-mom-quilts

Pillowcase Tutorial

home-made-first-aid-pouch

Ouch Pouch – handmade pouch with first aid supplies

easy-table-runner

Fast and Easy Table Runner

cuties-pouch

Mini zipper pouchย with ring

diy-fabric-magnets

Fabric-covered buttons for magnets, pins, paper clips, etc.

wallet-handmade

velcro wallet

one-hour-basket

One-hour fabric basket

fabric-trays-by-noodlehead

Fabric Trays

fabric_keychain_tutorial

Fabric Key Chain on cotton webbing.

fabric-keychain-9

Another fabric keychain version hereย made from fabric

diy-pencil-pouch-10

There are abundant tutorials for cute zipper pouches. This pencil pouch is found here. This post has a great round-up of 20 more zipper pouches in various styles and designs for your inspiration.

oil-cloth-zipper-pouch

Here’s a great version using Oilcloth:ย Oilcloth Zipper Pouch

howtosewalaptopbag

Laptop Bag

laptop-sleeve-sewing-tutorial-700x1012

Laptop Sleeve

half-apron-tutorial-delia-creates

Half Apron tutorial from Delia Creates

cute-apron-tutorial

Easy Women’s Full Apronย

fat-quarter-childs-apron-tutorial_dsc_1571

Kids’ Aprons from Aesthetic Nest

rice-heating-bag

Rice heating bag/bed warmer

And that brings us full-circle! There’s a bunch of ideas to get you started. If you’re looking for other ideas, check out this Handmade Gifts Pinterest Board. Good luck with all of the final Christmas prep!

Robby
    December 20, 2016 at 6:59 am

My Christmas list looks a bit like yours although the last few years mine has included, “Will it really be missed? Then, I’m saving my sanity and not worrying about it.” That was said at the Costco parking lot yesterday. Hope you and your family have a joyous Christmas with nothing missed, including your sanity.

Amy Smart
      December 20, 2016 at 11:53 am

Thanks for the good reminder. So true! I feel like I’m doing a lot of that this year. All the important stuff will happen. The rest isn’t important. ๐Ÿ˜‰

aquilterstable
    December 20, 2016 at 7:21 am

Lots of great ideas – thanks for sharing!

Kerry
    December 20, 2016 at 8:04 am

Sick kid on the couch – check. Luckily, he seems to be better today and it’s not the dreaded stomach bug that’s going around. Hang in there. Don’t forget to breathe.

Amy Smart
      December 20, 2016 at 11:50 am

oh boy – you too! (*Please no stomach bugs!*)

Carol Poelman
    December 20, 2016 at 8:58 am

ha. You made me smile — crossing off “Binge eating..” “sick kid…” and “crying at Costco.” ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve been there before. I hope you also cross off “Read a good book” and “Take a nap”. Thanks for the ideas. I used the foot warmer tutorial for my sisters this year — they always have cold feet at night. I hope they find them useful. And I made a few “hand warmers” for the kids to warm up after playing in the snow – but I like the name pocket warmers better, I hadn’t ever thought of putting them in pockets. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Amy Smart
      December 20, 2016 at 11:49 am

Hah – yes! Looking forward to books and naps! Another reason the week AFTER Christmas is one of my favorites of the year. I think that’s when I enjoy the season the most. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Carol Gillen
    December 20, 2016 at 10:54 am

Can’t wait to make that scarf! Merry Christmas, Amy.

Amy Smart
      December 20, 2016 at 11:48 am

Thanks Carol! Merry Christmas to you too!

farmhousequiltsblog
    December 20, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Your post made me laugh! Thanks for those last minute ideas…love those!
    Merry Christmas!

Vicki
    December 20, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Crying at Costco! Oh no! I’ve done it, too — I actually walked through with my sunglasses on (I know, real slick, huh?). My four year old son’a been on a real winning streak this week: he has cut open all the amazon packages and told his siblings what they’re getting for Christmas, destroyed the blinds, gave himself a haircut/bald spot, and peed on his sister (!!). All I know is, I better get some sewing time this afternoon or it’ll be Ugly! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jacqueline in Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
    December 22, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Hiya Amy!

I love this round up!

I’m sorry to bother you during this busy, busy week, but I wanted to know where you got your quad-ruled composition book that you made the aqua pearl bracelets cover for(your photo above)?
    Quilty Huggs!

Amy Smart
      December 23, 2016 at 8:58 pm

My friend gave that to me – I’m not sure where it came from, but I’ll ask! Sorry I can’t help sooner!