Halloween Bunting Quilt

The Halloween Flags quilt is finished! Halloween bunting quilt - made with Amy Smart's Summer Bunting quilt pattern - Diary of a Quilter

This might be a record for me. Starting and finishing seasonal quilt in the same season, in time to enjoy it before the actual holiday. It’s a miracle.

Halloween flags quilt made using Diary of a Quilter Summer Bunting quilt pattern

The fact that it’s a fun, quick pattern helped a lot. I made this quilt using my Summer Bunting Pattern. (You can find the instant downloadable PDF version here as well as a hard-copy paper version if you prefer that.) I love the way the flags show off big, fun prints.

Halloween quilt made using Amy Smart Summer Bunting quilt pattern

I modified the original pattern slightly, making only 24 flags and adding a 5″ border all the way around to enlarge the quilt. (That modification also helped the quilt come together quickly.) This ended up a nice size throw-quilt.

I’ve had a bunch of fun Halloween prints in my stash (some of which I’ve had for years…)

Carina Gardner Eek Boo Shriek fabric for Riley Blake

plus I Riley Blake gave me some of Carina Gardner’s adorable Halloween prints* (Eek Boo Shriek and Trick or Treat collections) this year and I put them all together for this winning combination.

Halloween prints by Carina Gardner for Riley Blake Designs.

The micro-dot print I used for the background is from the Eek Boo Shriek collection and the subway-style text print I used for the border is from the Trick or Treat line.

I found the perfect binding and backing fabrics in my stash. (WOO! Don’t you love when that happens?) The binding is an older Riley Blake print that I had leftover from making my Patchwork Pumpkin table runner. It has a few random spiders that peek out every so often. The backing is a fantastic plaid from Denyse Schmidt’s Eastham collection. Both are a few years old so may be tricky to find, but you never know.

Stipple quilting on this quilt was done by my friend, Monica.

As soon as I finished binding this puppy, I ran over to our near by pumpkin patch for some festive beauty shots. Because who can resist a pumpkin patch?! Not me! Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see…  Halloween bunting quilt - made with Amy Smart's Summer Bunting quilt pattern - Diary of a Quilter

My helpful quilt holder (a different bribed child this time) decided he’d found his Halloween costume – yet another use for this quilt. (Also, the socks coordinating with the photo shoot was just a happy coincidence.)

Halloween bunting quilt - made with Amy Smart's Summer Bunting quilt pattern - Diary of a Quilter. Halloween Fabrics by Riley Blake Designs

This is the second Halloween quilt at our house (you can see the other one here.) They complement each other nicely. 🙂 I realize it’s a little silly to have two Halloween quilts, but I blame the fabric companies for making too much cute Halloween fabric that just begs to be stitched up!

*FTC Disclosure: some of my posts contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of those links I may receive a small commission, so thank you for supporting Diary of a Quilter when you shop! All of the opinions are my own and I only suggest products that I actually use. 🙂

Lee
    October 12, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Fabulous finish!!

Robby H.
    October 12, 2017 at 3:32 pm

What a great use of those holiday fabrics in this quilt. I think the most sincere pumpkin patch needs two quilts. One to set out to sit on for you and the Great Pumpkin. One to maybe snuggle under while you wait, should the wait get late.

Amy
      October 13, 2017 at 10:16 am

Right? No better way to welcome the Great Pumpkin than with a new quilt! 😉

Karen Seitz
    October 12, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Great quilt! I love all the Halloween prints. I have half a drawer full, ready for whenever I finally decide to make my Halloween quilt. I bought a specialty ruler for the one I want to make. I have too many active projects now to start one more. Maybe next year.

Juliet T
    October 12, 2017 at 11:47 pm

You can never have enough Halloween quilts! Super cute and super inspiring!
    I’m still handquilting my Halloween table runner from last year… will it be ready for this year’s? LOL

Kerry
    October 13, 2017 at 1:13 am

Lol @ the assistant – a quilt ghost – showing how versatile quilts can be! Love the quilt.

Lana Stewart
    October 13, 2017 at 4:23 am

I love this quilt and what fun to use some of your stash! Everything about it is beautiful!

Joni Wright
    October 13, 2017 at 8:49 am

Gorgeous Quilt! This is one of my fav designs and timeless, too! Well done!

dondim
    October 13, 2017 at 9:54 am

It is the greatest Halloween quilt I have ever seen! You deserve the miracle quilter award for getting it done in the same season, to be sure.

Jess Pugh
    October 13, 2017 at 11:22 am

Gorgeous quilt! One day I will finally get around to making a Halloween quilt.

billiemick
    October 13, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Perfect post and I love the orange socks under the quilt….grin.

Kim B.
    October 14, 2017 at 5:27 am

this is so adorable and I am going to have to get the pattern. But I don’t have enough Halloween fabrics yet! Love the pic of your son “ghosting” it with the quilt – and that his socks match! Of COURSE you need (at least) two Halloween quilts.

Nancy Morneault
    October 14, 2017 at 9:49 am

Awesome quilt! You can never have too many Halloween quilts. Ha

Lea
    October 14, 2017 at 12:19 pm

What a festive and beautiful quilt! I love the pumpkin patch photos.

quiltingmomma13
    October 16, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Love all the fall pictures! Wish it would cool down just a tad bit more here in SC! And you give me hope that I too can start and finish a project in time for the season I’m making it for! LOL

Jacqui
    October 17, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Great quilt! Do you know the name/manufacturer of the black and white ghost fabric and the jack o lantern fabric? Thanks!

Jacqui
    October 17, 2017 at 1:01 pm

I found the ghost and jack o lantern fabrics, they’re Spooktacular by Maude Asbury for Blend. Thanks, love the quilt!

Amy
      October 18, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Yes! That’s them. Aren’t they great?!

Mary Baranowski
    November 7, 2017 at 10:11 am

Simply GORGEOUS. I’d like to make it with winter prints in the throw size. I see the fabric requirements on the pattern page, but can you tell me the revised yardages for the smaller size + 5 inch border? I’m new at this and don’t want to run out mid-project. Thank you so much.