Sorting, Saving, and Using Fabric Scraps

I love scraps. I think most of us sew-y, crafty people love scraps because we see so much potential in them. (And because we also recognize the investment in all of that fabric!)

As anyone with experience with fabric scraps (or small breeding rodents) knows, they can quickly multiply and get out of control! So I thought I’d share a couple of ideas about managing your fabric scraps.

Sorting, Saving, and Storing Scraps:

First of all, find a simple solution that you’ll actually do. If you’re just getting started, then definitely go simple because it’s more likely to be effective.

When I finally decided to start getting organized I took everything smaller than a fat eighth out of my regular stash and sorted my scraps by colors only. I still use clear plastic bins from Target/Walmart/etc. and just automatically add my scraps to the right bin.

The other benefits to storing scraps by color is it’s easier to find something I need AND they look prettier, they inspire me to make something with them and therefore I’m a whole lot more likely to actually do something with them!

Size: people have asked me many times what size scraps I save: I save anything bigger than about 2″ x 2″ and smaller than a 10″ x 10″ square in my scrap bins. Bigger than that I put them with my yardage (which I also sort by color).

I save little pieces to use for English Paper Piecing projects. (Video tutorial for EPP here.)

Sorting scraps by size:

In recent years, I also started sorting scraps a little bit by size as well. A while back I read a post by Lori Holt about organizing and saving fabric scraps. She’s a genius. I’m not quite as well organized, but I have started saving two sizes of “precuts” when I’m cutting fabric or have left over jelly-roll strips, etc. I save 2 1/2” squares and 2 1/2” strips. Both are useful in lots of patterns, and they’ve come in handy. I still keep them sorted by color so they look pretty are I’m more inspired to use them.

My last Scrap Management tip: purge. Routinely go through your scrap bins and pull out scraps that just don’t inspire you any more and let them go. Give them to a friend, a quilt guild, or a charity and let someone else create with them. I guarantee that you will be more inspired to use your scraps after you’ve got rid of the ones you don’t like anymore.

These are just a couple of suggestions that have worked for me. There are loads of great ideas out there for organizing and using scraps. Most importantly, do what works for YOU! Saving and organizing scraps is only worth doing if they’re something you’ll use, not because they’re something you feel guilty about.

Scrap Busting Extravaganza Square-01

Today I’m sharing a little project for using scraps at Flamingo Toes. Bev has organized a series of tutorials for busting your scraps – and they’re more than just fabric scraps – there’s paper, trims, etc. involved as well! I’m excited to see all the projects and ideas as the series continues.

I’m sharing mini-quilt tutorial perfect for using up fabric scraps. You can find the full tutorial HERE.

If you’re looking for other ideas for using up scraps, this post is full of ideas for using your fabric scraps.

I’ve also started a Scraps pinboard that I update regularly, if you want to follow it for the latest projects and ideas:

Enjoy sorting and using those scraps! Feel free to leave any tips or methods that have worked well for you.

Craftsy Blogger Awards - Vote for Me badge

Post Edit:  I just discovered I was nominated on Craftsy‘s blog for best tutorials! (WHAT?!) And voting ends today (1/28)! So just in case you’re surfing around the internet and curious to check out the other categories and nominees, and cast some votes of your own, here’s the link. And a HUGE thank you to those who nominated me!

UPDATE: Voting has ended. Thank you SO much to those who voted and esp to those who nominated me in the first place. It was an honor to be included in that kind of company!

Jessie Fincham @ Messy Jesse
    January 27, 2015 at 3:17 am

Your mini string quilt has been on my radar for so long! Must. Make. Soon! Thanks for the reminder Amy, hope you're keeping well. xo

Mary Marcotte
    January 27, 2015 at 5:13 am

I wish I stored my scraps using a better system. I'm out of space and honestly do not have room for another bin! But I do put them all in a fabric basket that I made of scraps and when I'm scrap-busting I generally just go crazy and try to use at least half. That basket, btw, is a really good size…extra large and deep and attached to my worktable. It's not the best system, but I

cityquilter grace
    January 27, 2015 at 6:12 am

excellent post with terrific ideas….saving and using scraps satisfies my frugal gene and continually reminds me how much stash i really have, thereby curbing casual and excessive buying….

gigi
    January 27, 2015 at 6:18 am

I used to save scraps but it got out of hand! If I adore them, I save them in a little bundle or make a baby quilt out of them. Otherwise I donate them to my quilt guild, as we have a garage sale as part of our biannual quilt show and sell bags of scraps as well as other quilty items. Thanks for blogging so much too– lots of my other favorites aren't blogging as much and I look forward to

Andrea R
    January 27, 2015 at 6:25 am

I sort by size only, and not by color. Works for me! I have each size in ziploc bags in one big bin.<br /><br />My mom says even the ugly scraps look good if you cut &#39;em small enough. 😀

Linda
    January 27, 2015 at 7:21 am

Thank you! I just completed my first-ever scrap organization, and I needed your guidance on sizes to save. This post is so helpful.

cassandra
    January 27, 2015 at 7:33 am

A year ago I sorted and trimmed all of my scraps into usable squares and strips. Iit made such a big difference for me! I frequently take out my 2.5in squares and just play around with them, or sew them up into zipper pouches for quick gifts. I&#39;ve also made a bunch of pillows from scraps because I have them at the ready. I haven&#39;t touched the tiny scraps I threw in ziplock bags, but maybe

Sarah
    January 27, 2015 at 8:42 am

Thank you, my to-do list has just doubled in size! 🙂 So many ideas, so little time. I am especially inspired by your cute EPP bag! I think I need to pull out those little hexagon templates and my precious little scraps to make myself a little something…

Rachel
    January 27, 2015 at 9:14 am

You have a scrap up there with gray, red, and aqua dots on it. What bin would you store that in? I&#39;m currently making your Chinese Lanterns quilt from the Scaps book.

Rachel
      January 27, 2015 at 9:14 am

Scraps book, not scaps book!

Ruth
    January 27, 2015 at 9:46 am

I definitely needed to read this post – I have scraps at the bottom of the basket I really could do with letting go – thanks for the tips!

Beverly {Flamingo Toes}
    January 27, 2015 at 10:13 am

Thank you so much for being a part of the series Amy – you are the best!! The Scrap Quilt is amazing and I can&#39;t wait to make up one!

Laura Chaney
    January 27, 2015 at 11:22 am

One of my goals for the next couple of months is getting my scraps cut down into usable pieces. I use 2×2 squares for EPP, and I can tell when I&#39;ve gotten bored by the fabric options that I&#39;ve already cut. Time to get some fresh fabric choices in there!

Kathelle - Strandom
    January 27, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Great ideas – mine are all stuffed in a bag… haha! The 2&quot;x2&quot; guideline is useful, it&#39;s hard to know what&#39;s realistically useable 🙂 x

Christals Creations
    January 27, 2015 at 4:36 pm

I love scraps but I rarely use them. Thank you for the inspiration. 🙂

ParadiseBreeze Quilts
    January 27, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Amy – this was great. Where I live (Qld, Australia) there is so much light that anything left out, fades. I would love to use the clear plastic bins as they would indeed be inspiring. My stash is folded into a chest of drawers – it&#39;s wonderful to open the drawers and see the rainbow of colours. I&#39;ll try your suggestion of the size sorting and saving. Cheers Amy.

weddingdressblue
    January 27, 2015 at 9:53 pm

I mostly just sew with scraps–mine, or ones gifted by others. There is never a shortage of scraps and, so far, I haven&#39;t run out of ways to use them.

AnnieO
    January 28, 2015 at 12:14 am

Scrappy is best in my book! I have two papercrafting storage towers that hold scraps sorted by color in one, and by size in the other. Actually it&#39;s size and color. I keep lights or neutrals in their own bin. You are so right about purging–we all have our storage issues and need to be realistic about what we will actually USE !! Love your mini quilt. Strings are something I don&#39;t save

Allison
    January 28, 2015 at 2:32 am

This is so useful! I have several scrap sorting systems started but but rarely use my scraps because they&#39;re not really working. I&#39;m going to try sorting by size as well, to separate out my &#39;stash&#39; from my scraps (and have a bit of a purge at the same time!).

Sew Create It - Jane
    January 28, 2015 at 3:39 am

Great post as always…love the tip about getting rid of scraps that you don&#39;t love anymore…there is so much truth to that and a bit of advice I&#39;m going to take on-board! Thanks :o)

Carol
    January 28, 2015 at 6:31 am

The reference to small breeding rodents cracked me up as I used to work with mice – a new litter every 20-21 days.

quiltytherapy
    January 28, 2015 at 8:59 am

We have a local store that takes donations of used craft supplies. I have taken many bags of scraps that just need to go there. Each month I&#39;m trying to make 1 scrap project to help use up what I have just sitting around. Thanks for the sorting ideas.

Felice
    January 28, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I get a little nutty when it comes to sorting scraps. I tend to over-sort into too many categories. I&#39;ve managed to widdle it down to basic color groups, a few bags that are sorted by my favorite designers (Heather Ross, Lizzy House, C&amp;S) plus an extra bin for scraps that&#39;d be good for fussy cuts.

Gail M
    January 28, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Real quilters give me their scraps. Now I can make a 5&quot; squares quilt with no repeat swatches.

Carla
    February 7, 2015 at 5:28 pm

I have scraps but haven&#39;t used them for anything. I have started cutting some using my die cutter to make small 1&quot; and 2&quot; squares plus if I can cut my scraps into strips I have them wound up on a wooden spool to make a scrappy string quilt one day. But the rest are in tubs all mixed together.

Easy Scrap fabric quilt block - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    May 18, 2015 at 12:52 pm

[…] Sew blocks together using a 1/4” seam allowance into four rows of four blocks each. Press seam allowances to the left on rows 1 and 3 and to the right on rows 2 and 4. Sew rows together in order, nesting opposing seam allowances.  Layer quilt top with batting and backing pieces underneath and quilt as desired (machine quilting tutorial here.) Using remaining fabric or scraps to create a 2 1/2” x 64” strip for binding the quilt. You could easily make multiple blocks to make a bigger quilt, re-scale the sizes, use this panel for the side of a bag, etc. Since scraps can so easily get out of control, here are more tips for organizing and using your scraps. […]

Kay
    June 23, 2015 at 9:46 am

Great post, and thank you for the links too. x

Sewing Organization - Scrap Organization - QA Creations | QA Creations
    October 13, 2015 at 6:23 am

[…] Amy at Diary of a Quilter arranges mostly by color […]

Quilting Focus
    November 16, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Love the ideas for sorting and saving fabric scraps, there are such a variety of beautiful ways to use scraps. We did a post on a cute way of using up some old scraps if you want to check it out! www,quiltingfocus.com/2015/03/scrappy-handmade-hot-pad-tutorial. Happy Quilting!

New Scraps pattern: Introducing Scraps Inc. Vol 2
    February 8, 2016 at 8:55 am

[…] PS You can see some of my own tips for sorting and using your scraps here! […]

Diana
    February 13, 2016 at 8:23 am

I sort and store my scraps by color and size and then put them in 14×14 inch plastic bins. I like to do BOM’s so each project I am working on is also stored in it’s own bin so I can grab and go or work on it and put it out of the way until I am ready to work on it again. I keep cut pieces in ziplock bags as well so they are easily accessible. My biggest challenge is where to put all those bins! 🙂

Quilting on a Budget | Cluck Cluck Sew
    January 2, 2017 at 8:52 pm

[…] new fabric line you have to have comes out!  😉  Keep and use your scraps!  Here and here are great posts about storing and saving scraps.  Some of my favorite scrap projects can be found […]

Improv scrap quilt
    January 14, 2017 at 12:25 pm

[…] My friend Emily started a fun new project busting through her fabric scraps and making some improv, wonky log cabin blocks. It has been a long time since I’ve made any of those and seeing her finished quilts got me in the mood to play with scraps for an afternoon.  So I pulled out my Red scrap drawer and set it on the cutting table and went to town. (You can see more about how I organize and store my scraps here.) […]

No Scrap Left Behind - Quilt Patterns Using Scraps - Diary of a Quilter - a quilt blog
    May 5, 2017 at 9:22 am

[…] My best tips are to sort your scraps by color family. I personally think they’re so much more inspiring that way. I also highly recommend a regular purge of your scraps. If there are old things in there that don’t inspire you any more, get rid of them. Give them to a friend or a guild who might love the challenge of playing with new-to-them scraps. You can read more about how I like to sort and store scraps here. […]