Craftsy Class – Pre-Cut Short Cuts is Online!

10652_728x90 FTC disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links.

Amy Smart Sewing

It’s here friends! My Craftsy class is now available! And I even have a special 50% discount for all of you. You can preview or buy the class here:

Pre-Cut Short Cuts – Quilt Tops in Less Time

Amy Smart Craftsy Class Pre-cuts
Amy Smart Craftsy ClassIf you’re not familiar with Craftsy, it is a website with a huge selection of excellent video classes on lots of subjects from sewing to photography to cake-decorating to knitting to gardening (I just signed up for two gardening classes. I’m determined to grow more than I kill this year.)

You can sign up for a class and take it 1 time or 1,000 times – it never expires. You can also pause and make notes and move at your own pace as well as post questions for your instructor if there are parts where you need help or clarification. You can also share pictures of your creations and interact with other class members.

Jelly Roll precuts quilt pattern

My class is called Pre-Cut Short Cuts: Quilt Tops in Less Time. This class is geared toward using those pre-cut squares and strips from the various fabric manufacturers. You know me – I love using a lot of scrappy colors and fabrics, but I also love efficiency and quick finishes (mainly so I can move onto another next project!)

Precuts are the perfect way to get a large variety of fabrics cut ahead of time to very useable sizes (typically 5″ x 5″ squares, 10″ x 10″ squares and 2 1/2″ wide strips), giving you a large variety of fabric and saving you time in the process.

Pre-Cut Short Cuts

In this class we’ll talk about helpful tips in preparing and using your pre-cuts. And just in case you’re someone who loves to collect those pretty bundles of pre-cut goodness, I’ll hopefully also give you some inspiration (and the courage) to break them open and make something fun with them!

Pre-Cuts Quilts Craftsy Class Amy Smart

Now that the class is available, I thought I would give you a peek at some of the quilts available in the class. There are 7 different quilts demonstrated in the 6 online lessons. Four of them are new and exclusive only to this class! As I prepared this class, I really wanted to create something that provided a lot of value for your money.  In addition to the video demo’s of each pattern, there are printable patterns with measurements for additional sizes and variations.

Sewing with pre-cuts Craftsy Class

Crosshatched and Double-Crosshatched comes in multiple variations with pattern requirements for multiple sizes from Crib to Twin. These have been so fun to make over the past few months. I’ll share a little more about them individually over the next few weeks so that you can see the quilting, fabrics, etc.

Pre-Cut Short Cuts Craftsy Class pattern

The Basket Weave quilt is something I’ve had in my sketchbook for a few years now. Preparing for this class forced me to finally get it out of my notebook and finished. With the exception of the outside borders this whole quilt top is made using 10″ x 10″ pre-cut squares – both a collection of prints as well as a stack of 10″ x 10″ solid white squares. And we use strip-piecing techniques to make it come together quickly! (I’m actually kind of proud of my figuring on this one. 😉 )

Gumballs Quilt Amy Smart

And finally, the Gumballs quilt. I think it’s my favorite (but don’t tell the others.) This one is made with 2 1/2″ precut strips and I loved putting it together. The class includes measurements for a Crib-size version as well as a larger throw.  I already want to make another – you’ll probably see these pop up often around here now.

In addition to the quilt patterns I’ll show you my favorite time-saving techniques for adding sashing and borders as well as a tutorial for binding your quilt.

Pre-cut Quilt Patterns - Amy smart

One of my favorite parts of being involved in the quilting world – in fact, one of the reasons I started this blog almost 8 years ago – is that I love teaching and watching other people fall in love with quilting (aka, bringing them over to the dark side. lol) Few things make me happier than when people tell me that they learned something from my blog or patterns. Because of my kids’ ages, I don’t travel much to teach – so I’m very excited to have this new resource to share some of the things I’ve learned along the way that might help and to interact with more of you. (Just don’t make fun of my Utah accent or the way I stumble over the phrase “sashing strips” after saying it 10 times in a row.)

As much as I love teaching, I also love learning new stuff. If you’re looking for other quilting/sewing classes to expand your horizons and repertoire, here are a few that I’ve personally taken and learned a lot from:

Amy Smart Craftsy Class quilts

So there you go. I had fun getting this final shot of my quilts all together. This process has been a bit of a whirlwind – only a couple of months to write and sew and prepare before filming, which of itself was nerve-wracking and exhausting and exhilarating all at the same time, as you can imagine. It feels SO good to see a finished product and finally be able to share!

Amy Smart Pre-cut Quilt Patterns Craftsy Class

A million thank-you’s again for all of the kind words and support from so many of you. Not just in my post last week, but also over the past years of sewing and sharing here. You have no idea how much you have motivated me to keep learning and sharing and sewing. Happy sewing to all of you!

10652_300x250

Click here for a video preview and 50% off Pre-Cut Short-Cuts!

Quick Quilt Patterns for Pre-cuts

Valerie
    May 16, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I love craftsy and can’t wait to check out your new class! Would you mind sharing the name of the blue and green fabric line used to make your gum ball quilt? I love it and it would be perfect for a wedding quilt I need to make soon!

Amy Smart
      May 16, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Thanks and sure! I actually combined two collections: Pacific by Elizabeth Hartman in the cool color range and Jennifer Sampou’s studio stash in cool. Both collections are from Robert Kaufman.

Valerie
    May 16, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Awesome, thank you!

Mary
    May 16, 2016 at 2:30 pm

I just signed up for your Craftsy class! So excited to get started. Now what fabric to pick first?!

Amy Smart
      May 16, 2016 at 9:02 pm

This is my favorite kind of problem to have. lol 😉

Scorpie
    May 17, 2016 at 5:30 am

Just came back from your class and am looking forward to getting started. think I have the perfect fabric for the gumball quilt.

Vicki in MN
    May 17, 2016 at 5:53 am

Beautiful quilts, love the shot of them on the fence.

Yvette Niesel
    May 17, 2016 at 6:43 am

Thanks for the discount on your class. That’s awesome!

Adana
    May 17, 2016 at 6:55 am

I just watched the preview and bought the class. I can’t wait to get sewing, I’m in love with the gumball quilt already. I always look forward to your blog posts and I’m excited for the craftsy class. Thanks for all your hard work and sharing your talents!

Mary
    May 17, 2016 at 7:34 am

It looks like you did a great job, Amy. I see lots of gumballs showing up in the future.

Jamie
    May 18, 2016 at 7:38 am

Wow Amy I loved your book and I bet your Craftsy class is amazing. Congratulations!!!!

Karen Seitz
    May 18, 2016 at 4:48 pm

It’s fun to see the projects included in your class. I too love Gumball, and the sushi roll of Child Smile that I recently won from FQS and Heidi at Fabric Mutt may become gumballs in the near future. 🙂

cindy-liveacolorfullife
    May 18, 2016 at 6:32 pm

What beautiful quilts. Congrats on being a Craftsy teacher. 🙂

Amy in VA
    May 18, 2016 at 6:40 pm

I got the class and have watched most of it. Loved it! Can’t wait to get time to sew.

Amy Smart
      May 23, 2016 at 10:50 am

OH, thank you! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it. 🙂

Cutest 241Totebag Ever | Needle and Foot
    May 20, 2016 at 4:00 am

[…] as many times as you like, when it is convenient for you! The newest class taught by Amy Smart, of Diary of a Quilter, is released and on […]

Peggy
    May 24, 2016 at 10:14 am

Hello Amy, thank you for sharing your creativity and beautiful quilts. I am a novice quilter, and just finished my first queen star quilt. I have three very young kids and try to quilt whenever I can. I bought your fabulous fast quilts book and learned lots of techniques from it.

Amy Smart
      May 24, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Thank you so much, Peggy. I’m so impressed by your finish! Way to go!

barbara woods
    May 30, 2016 at 11:11 am

I have bought a few of craftsy’s classes and really enjoy them

Anne
    May 30, 2016 at 4:00 pm

I have several Craftsy classes and I love them. I also think Moda is the best fabric. Would love to win.

Valerie
    June 3, 2016 at 8:00 am

Just added your class to my cart —- I am excited to ‘meet’ you in the classroom! I’ve enjoyed your blog for several years, but rarely comment because I guess I’m just kind of lame that way. {grin} It was your quilting style that first caught my attention, but I also love when you share your hiking posts. We’re from Michigan, so when we wander, it’s always West! We were in Zion for several days in early May; what a beautiful time of year to be in the mountains. Bryce is a favorite and Arches, too. Oh, and Canyonlands! Goodness, the natural beauty of Utah is breathtaking!

Amy Smart
      June 4, 2016 at 10:54 am

Oh, thank you so much Valerie! That means a lot. And I’m glad you like the hiking posts. I’m glad you’ve been able to visit our Natl Parks! They are pretty spectacular. We just got back from a trip to Capitol Reef – we feel lucky to live so close.

Thanks again for your sweet comment!

Jo
    June 12, 2016 at 4:58 pm

I Love your quilts. Especially the crosshatch quilt with the turquoise and coral. What fabric line did you use? I love it. I’ve just put your class on my wish list 😉

Amy Smart
      June 12, 2016 at 11:49 pm

Thank you! If I’m thinking of the right quilt (does it have navy and gold in it too?) it’s made from the Moda collection called Valley by Sherri & Chelsi. I love how that quilt turned out!

Jo
    June 13, 2016 at 9:24 am

I love it too. Thank you for replying so quickly. I just started your Craftsy course and am having fun. I post the finished product 😉

Marcy
    August 14, 2016 at 6:06 am

Beautiful quilts!

Kathleen K
    October 31, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Thanks for the great classes. I noticed in your photo that you have a Baby Lock. My mom just gave me hers and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to use large spools of thread with it. I’d sure appreciate any suggestions

Amy Smart
      October 31, 2016 at 3:39 pm

What model do you have? I think they all use them differently. Definitely check the BabyLock website and check your model. They have lots of helpful info there.

Are you talking a large spool or a cone? I have a cone-stand (you can find them easily on Amazon) that I use for my machine at home.